Kenflo

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Kenflo
MMAFREAK89
11/24/08 10:25:23AM
This pissess me off. Now i was watching MMA inside and Kenny Florian is top 10 in the world of best lightweights, i really do think he should be #3 now.
Aaronno9
11/24/08 10:35:16AM
Number 3 in the ufcs lws yeah, but overall i got him like 8th.
gartface
11/24/08 10:54:49AM

Posted by Aaronno9

I have him 4th, behind Penn, Alvarez, and Hansen.
Aaronno9
11/24/08 11:22:48AM

Posted by gartface

Posted by Aaronno9

I got those 3, JZ, aoki and sherk above him i think......
gsquat
11/24/08 12:10:25PM
I've got him #2 and thats right where he should be. I have a hard time ranking fighters outside of the UFC too high.
Aaronno9
11/24/08 12:17:49PM

Posted by gsquat

I've got him #2 and thats right where he should be. I have a hard time ranking fighters outside of the UFC too high.

I find that to be the case in a few of the divisions, but in terms on LW and HW i think most of the best fighters lurk elsewhere.
stock
11/24/08 12:29:42PM
The point here is that nobody has a good argument for how to rank the LW division acurately.
Until these guys start fighting eachother it is really just a matter of subjective opinion.

I have Florian ranked 3rd overall, however who knows what would happen if fought some of the guys outside the UFC. He could get smoked. He could walk through them with ease.

There is really no way to tell.
The_Metal_Maniac
11/24/08 2:06:02PM
Penn
Alvarez
Hansen
Calvicante
Aoki
Sherk
Kenflo
MMAFREAK89
11/24/08 6:49:56PM
He has proven that he should be in top 5 and has most certainly made the point that he should face B.J next for the L.W title.
Hendo67
11/24/08 7:49:58PM
Sherk is top 3 in the UFC, not MMA in general.
Franklinfan47
11/24/08 8:53:26PM
As it stands, I don't have Kenflo in my top 5 lightweights

But if he wins over even does well against BJ it will certainly bump him up in rankings.
Jackelope
11/24/08 10:07:48PM
If he were to avenge his loss to Sherk I think it would be the biggest boost he could possibly get in the rankings (outside of beating BJ Penn) That loss still haunts his rankings. Considering that a lot of your top LW's are good wrestlers, it's no surprise he's not ranked top 3.
bls1919
11/24/08 10:23:31PM

Posted by gartface

Posted by Aaronno9

Almost perfect but i have him 5th behind Sherk
Pookie
11/24/08 10:29:12PM
In terms of accomplishments i dont think Florian has ever beated a top ten fighter. Hes looked phenomenal against lesser competition (Huerta, Stevenson, Lauzon)... but he still hasnt faced anybody on that top level succesfully, while other fighters in this division have. Great fighter , but other than Sherk and possibly BJ hes been getting very easy match-ups IMO

Others id put in front of him

Alvarez - Beat Kawajiri, Hansen, & Dida convincingly while attacking their strengths as a fighter

Gesias Cavalcante - Beat Dida, Uno, & Shaolin in overwhelming fashion. While his only losses have came against Aoki while having a blown hamstring, and a very controversial loss against Hansen which IMO he should have gotten the UD.

Aoki - Beat GZ, Uno, Kikuchi, & Hansen(1-1)

Sherk - Beat Tyson Griffin, Florian, Franca ( if you count that fight), & Nick Diaz

Hansen - Dream GP winner, beat Aoki(1-1), GZ, Uno

Edgar - Franca, Fisher, T. Griffin

---Florian--- beat Lauzon, Stevenson, Huerta.

and then Tyson Griffin and Kawajiri to round out the top ten.
Jackelope
11/24/08 10:36:23PM

Posted by Pookie

In terms of accomplishments i dont think Florian has ever beated a top ten fighter. Hes looked phenomenal against lesser competition (Huerta, Stevenson, Lauzon)... but he still hasnt faced anybody on that top level succesfully, while other fighters in this division have. Great fighter , but other than Sherk and possibly BJ hes been getting very easy match-ups IMO

Alvarez - Beat Kawajiri, Hansen, & Dida convincingly while attacking their strengths as a fighter

Gesias Cavalcante - Beat Dida, Uno, & Shaolin in overwhelming fashion. While his only losses have came against Aoki while having a blown hamstring, and a very controversial loss against Hansen which IMO he should have gotten the UD.

Sherk - Beat Tyson Griffin, Florian, Franca ( if you count that fight), & Nick Diaz

Good post, except I don't think Alvarez beat Hansen convincingly
Pookie
11/24/08 10:49:36PM

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by Pookie

Yeah that was a close match - but i couldnt see anyway a judge could have given that fight to Hansen.
Jackelope
11/24/08 10:55:06PM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by Pookie

Yeah that was a close match - but i couldnt see anyway a judge could have given that fight to Hansen.

Rd 1 definitely went to Alvarez, but Hansen got a lot of points back IMO when he knocked Alvarez down on the feet and then when he nearly arm barred him. I probably would have ruled in favor of Alvarez, but IMO if it was out of 100 the fight would be 55 to 45. Hansen seemed to be figuring Alvarez out as the fight went on
Pookie
11/24/08 10:58:00PM

Posted by Jackelope

Rd 1 definitely went to Alvarez, but Hansen got a lot of points back IMO when he knocked Alvarez down on the feet and then when he nearly arm barred him. I probably would have ruled in favor of Alvarez, but IMO if it was out of 100 the fight would be 55 to 45. Hansen seemed to be figuring Alvarez out as the fight went on

Valid point, All in all i think Hanse won the second, but in the first it was definitely alvarez, and considering that round was 2ce as long and Dream judges the fight as a whole i think it was pretty clear cut.

Id say 60-40 myself.
Jackelope
11/24/08 11:02:10PM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by Jackelope

Valid point, All in all i think Hanse won the second, but in the first it was definitely alvarez, and considering that round was 2ce as long and Dream judges the fight as a whole i think it was pretty clear cut.

Id say 60-40 myself.

Either way, that fight IMO will probably be fight of the year for this whole year. I was on pins and needles throughout the whole thing. Dream was on fire earlier this year!

Props for the good convo!
Pookie
11/24/08 11:17:25PM
haha hell yeah man, that or Alvarez v. Kawajiri - the way they traded blow for blow in that fight was reminiscent of Frye v. Takayama
MMA
11/24/08 11:36:14PM
Man, I would love to see the UFC sign over some top lightweights to see how well they stack up to the lightweights in the UFC. Even though someone like Florian is ranked lower than Hansen and Aoki, I'm pretty confident that he could beat him.
kris_ericson
11/29/08 11:46:14PM

Posted by MMA

Man, I would love to see the UFC sign over some top lightweights to see how well they stack up to the lightweights in the UFC. Even though someone like Florian is ranked lower than Hansen and Aoki, I'm pretty confident that he could beat him.

im not bias bcause hes my favorite fighter... not at all
MFOTHER
11/30/08 10:20:01AM
im glad too see everyone took omi out of their top 5 (or ten)
and that was a nice breakdown.....but sherk beat diaz at 170 not 155.........
Panochador
12/1/08 11:55:33AM
Are you guys CRAZY? Sherk should be higher than Alvarez, Hansen, and Aoki.

Sherk is a monster, and he's only ever lost to 3 of the greatest fighters ever - Matt Hughes, GSP, and BJ Penn.

Alvarez might be able to beat Japanese fighters, but there's no way in hell he'd ever beat a guy like Sherk. Same goes for Hansen and Aoki.

Florian would beat any of those 3 guys, too. The guy is seriously underrated.

the_01
12/1/08 5:14:58PM
I rank him #1, and believe he can beat Penn.
Panochador
12/2/08 11:55:15AM

Posted by the_01

Whoa, there. You can't possibly be serious. Florian is good, but there's no way anybody can rank a non title holder above the UFC LW champion.

That's just asinine.
RedCloud
12/2/08 12:09:37PM

Posted by Panochador

Posted by the_01

Whoa, there. You can't possibly be serious. Florian is good, but there's no way anybody can rank a non title holder above the UFC LW champion.

That's just asinine.

Im with brilliant!
breakdown5
12/2/08 1:31:14PM
I've got Florian in my top ten, but definitely not in my top five. The best LWs are predominantly fighting in Japan currently, but Penn is for sure the divisions best. Florian does have the potential to crack the top three, he just has to get past Penn or Sherk to move up. The rest of the best fight overseas and chewing up the unranked contenders in the UFC is not going to get him to the top.
Pride-Fighter
12/3/08 3:56:13PM
Takanori Gomi would kick his ass.