Ken Shamrock: I Will Shut Everybody Up On 10/4

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Ken Shamrock: I Will Shut Everybody Up On 10/4
DCRage
9/12/08 6:43:48AM
Apparently Ken Shamrock views the upcoming EliteXC 10/4 fight against Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson as a bit of an insult. He made that feeling known during a teleconference yesterday and said "I will shut everybody up and make amends for those [defeats] by putting Kimbo’s lights out."

Article
ufcboss
9/12/08 7:17:51AM
I so badly hope so!

In that call, They refer to Kimbo as the most popular MMA fighter around, What doggy doo doo!

casey64
9/12/08 7:49:01AM
I honestly dont think he will win.
haggiswashere
9/12/08 8:22:44AM
who cares if whoever wins. its kimbo and ken. neither of them have a chance in a decent promotion ever!
SmileR
9/12/08 8:28:00AM
I hope he does. Not because I hate Kimbo but because I'd like him to win, get all his hype back to the casual fan and then retire. Ken Shamrock is a legend in this sport for a reason and it kills me to see him fighting and ruining a legacy that should be great!
cowcatcher
9/12/08 8:41:21AM

Posted by SmileR

I hope he does. Not because I hate Kimbo but because I'd like him to win, get all his hype back to the casual fan and then retire. Ken Shamrock is a legend in this sport for a reason and it kills me to see him fighting and ruining a legacy that should be great!

i agree with you, but the only thing is that i dont think that ken will retire if he wins. my guess is with a win he figures hes got the old glory back and wants to fight some more. hopefully no matter what happens in this fight he fights once more and his opponent is frank, i just think that 2 brothers with animosity fighting would be a real barnburner.
Porch28
9/12/08 9:03:36AM
RIGHT. I think he's said that every fight since the 90's. Sakuraba knocked him down with a punch. What do you think Kimbo will do. I want Ken to win but I think it's a very short night for kimbo. 1st round KO.
He's been ko'd or tko'd in the first round of his last 5 fights and he's lost 7 of his last 8 fights
postman
9/12/08 9:04:23AM

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by SmileR

i agree with you, but the only thing is that i dont think that ken will retire if he wins. my guess is with a win he figures hes got the old glory back and wants to fight some more. hopefully no matter what happens in this fight he fights once more and his opponent is frank, i just think that 2 brothers with animosity fighting would be a real barnburner.

Yeah if Ken hasn't stayed to long all ready he is the type of fighter that will. I don't think he would have much of a chance agianst Frank but maybe at the end it would be like BJ and Jens and they will make up.
jomatty
9/12/08 9:16:04AM
the only way ken can win this is to get ahold of his leg and kneebar or heel hook him. the problem is i dont see him getting the fight to the ground as he is just not explosive enough any more. he has taken too much punishment and just doesnt have a chin left...id love to see him pull it off but i think quick knockout for kimbo, and then ken continues to lose to nobodys until the athletic commisions finally stop letting him fight (he may then go to japan or somewhere with more lax standards). i think he needs the money and glory and just cant seem to move on with his life.
EliasG
9/12/08 9:51:44AM
holyfield syndrome or favre syndrome. These guys define themselves, their very being by their athletic ability/calling. When it's gone the competitiveness is still there, the work ethic, the drive, but not the body. You got to feel for guys like this, it's all they've done their whole lives and now they just have to "walk away?" Crazy hard. for some of them it's the ONLY thing they'v ebeen good at. Not good at school, couldn't get a job that gave them that feel, can't keep a wife, not good fathers, etc... That's all they got and so they hold on to it.

But you guys are right, it's sad because he was the driving force in the sport for a long time back in the early 90's.
JDP_6375
9/12/08 10:11:37AM
I agree with you about Kens track record. I feel he is a shadow of what he used to be. If this was 15 years ago I'd bet my house Ken would take out Kimbo in the first round without breaking a sweat but in reality its 2008 so Kimbo will just use him as a punching bag just like Tito did.
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
AchillesHeel
9/12/08 10:27:58AM
I don't know who he's planning to shut up. Nobody I know has been talking about him at all.
DCRage
9/12/08 10:42:13AM
I guess all the people who have been criticizing him over the last couple years for his fights and taking on his fight. Ken best be ready though, Kimbo's been training with Bas Rutten for this fight and seems to be looking pretty good coming off the Thompson fight. I initially had Ken winning but might be re-thinking it now.
Jackelope
9/12/08 11:06:36AM
If Ken goes back to his old freestyle wrestling and leg submission ways he takes this easily IMO. However, with statements like these it sounds like he wants to try to pound Kimbo's lights out. Kimbo's bigger, he's got more reach, and he still has the speed and explosiveness of youth. Sorry Ken, but if you fight like this you're going down.

I agree with all the people who support the legend of Shamrock, though.
Porch28
9/12/08 12:27:46PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

I don't know who he's planning to shut up. Nobody I know has been talking about him at all.

mrsmiley
9/12/08 1:08:29PM
I would love for Ken to win this,but I just don't see it happening.Either way I think both guys would get minimal gain by the hardcore fans,if either one finished their opponent.

If Kimbo wins,then all he has done is beaten a legend that is past his prime,and been stuck in a career slump for 4 years or more.It adds very little steam to Kimbo's hype train.That is among most keyboard warriors anways.It becomes nothing but a badge of honor for his record.

If Ken wins,then for the most part Kimbo will be laughed at and mocked for a very long time to come.Some will defend him and point out he still hasn't even accumulated enough MMA bouts to reach the double digits.However,the damage will be done,and the media mystique and hype that surronds him will go down in flames.People will point out that even a "wash up" such as Shamrock can beat this guy,and that he doesn't even belong in a cage.
tooly236
9/12/08 2:34:58PM
I don't know how Ken can win this fight, or any fight for that matter. He is painfully slow, and has no technique. Ken should hang up the gloves.
The-Don
9/12/08 2:45:49PM
either ken is playing some great mind games with this interview basicly saying he is gonna stand and swing with kimbo... or he really has taken too many shots to the head and is saying what he is going to do... I want ken to win.. but for Ken he can not do it standing with kimbo... granted Kimbo is not full of speed.. and I honestly do not think he has half the power they make him out to have.. after all he failed to KO Thompson.. I hope Ken is actually using the gray matter between his ears and is trying to make Kimbo think he is going to stand with him then take him down and make Kimbo tap... after all that would be the most humiliating way for Kimbo to lose.. espically after his "Tapping is for B*tches" comment.. So what exactly does Kimbo think about his Trainer Bas?
jakeiceman
9/12/08 3:36:27PM

Posted by EliasG

holyfield syndrome or favre syndrome. These guys define themselves, their very being by their athletic ability/calling. When it's gone the competitiveness is still there, the work ethic, the drive, but not the body. You got to feel for guys like this, it's all they've done their whole lives and now they just have to "walk away?" Crazy hard. for some of them it's the ONLY thing they'v ebeen good at. Not good at school, couldn't get a job that gave them that feel, can't keep a wife, not good fathers, etc... That's all they got and so they hold on to it.

But you guys are right, it's sad because he was the driving force in the sport for a long time back in the early 90's.

What the hell are you talking about?? Favre is still one of the TOP quarterbacks in the NFL. He still has the strongest arm in the game by far and always finds a way to win. He held the Packers on his back, he made that team a contender almost completely by himself for the last few years. The guy is an outstanding person and a great father....so I dont see why you are even mentioning his name when your talking about washed up athletes.

Packers or Jets, it does not matter Favre is the man and one of the greatest of all time!

WAR FAVRE!!!

Ha ha that was off MMA completely.....so back on point. I'm really pulling for Ken I respect his desire to fight and I hope he wins. It will be a hard fight for him but if he goes in with a gameplan I think he can do it.
RMFG_187
9/12/08 5:05:02PM
Ken will shut everybody up on 10/3. When He KO's Kimbo at the weigh ins.

Ken Round 1 Sub ( Knee Bar )
Bumpy
9/12/08 6:15:47PM
He should of quit after Tito the second time, he needs to retire and stay retired.
Red-Dragon
9/12/08 7:37:53PM
Most people seem to have the same opinion as me. Ken has a chance of winning but only if he can get Kimbo down. I have nothing against either fighter.

Ken is a legend and if he wants to keep fighting so be it. I aint gonna let nobody tell me when its time to retire so why should he listen to all those who have never been in a cage but still feel they have the right to hide behind a PC and dictate what he should do with his life?

As for Kimbo, he is a man trying to make some money like the rest of us right? He is doing what he does best which is fight. just because he doesnt do it to the highest standard of which us hardcore MMA fans are used too, I dont think we should be so hard on the fella. The hype is not coming from Kimbo, its the promotion behind him trying to make some return in their investment.

Just think about for a while, put yourselves in their shoes and you will see there is no real reason to hate either man
Poohbah
9/12/08 8:53:40PM
I suppose I will root for Shamrock. On paper he should be able to submit Kimbo, but in reality he has little to no fight left in him. He's quit in just about every fight I've seen lately.

I think a quick KO by Kimbo is likely. That would be tough to see, hope I'm wrong.
JohnnyNapalm
9/13/08 1:59:20AM

Posted by SmileR

Ken ruined what rep he had a long time ago.

Other than being a popular old timer with the fans and getting a lot of press for his fights with Royce Gracie and Tito I'm still not sure why he qualifies as a legend. Maybe a legendary "name" but his fight record sure isn't the stuff of legends.

That said I would like to see Ken beat Kimbo and hopefully retire. But I doubt either will happen.
mrkennedy
9/13/08 3:49:51AM
i dont see kimbo loose to shamrock

i dislike both but kimbo have the adventage in this one

The Grim Rogers have better chance to beat kimbo
hails
9/13/08 7:43:34AM
I really hope that Kimbo comes out to the song that has the line,

'Time after time, if you will fall I will catch you I will be waitin!'

It suits Kimbo, so lets change the words a little,

'Can after Can...' you can guess how the rest might go!!!!
D0wnUnd6e6r
9/13/08 10:36:02AM
can't believe im saying this but I really hope he does