Ken Shamrock And His Lawyer Set The Record Straight On Their Position With Zuffa And Dana White

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Ken Shamrock And His Lawyer Set The Record Straight On Their Position With Zuffa And Dana White
wolfgarnaud
11/8/07 6:52:52PM
The war of words between Dana White and Ken Shamrock has intensified, as Ken and his lawyer Rondney Donohoo sat down with John Pollock of Fight Network Radio to discuss what went wrong with the UFC why he's suing, and to answer Dana White's claims to, in his words, discredit him.
Shamrock On His Dispute With Dana White And The UFC:

http://www.mmafightline.com/news/2007/118/ken_shamrock_307705.shtml

Ken Shamrock's Manager Discusses A Ken And Frank Shamrock Battle

http://www.mmafightline.com/news/2007/118/ken_shamrock_307707.shtml
The_Grim_Reaper
11/8/07 7:34:23PM
shammy beastin dana
waylon_o
11/8/07 8:14:03PM
Man..I always try to defent Dana when people around me are bashing him, but it really looks like he's going off the deep end lately....saying Fedor isn't top 5 and he "sucks", Josh Barnett sucks, not signing Fedor, dissin Shammy and not giving the HW champ that he loves so much any respect. Time for Dana and the UFC to step up or this is gonna turn out like pro boxing.
mrsmiley
11/8/07 8:24:27PM
I believe White has lost a lot of credibility within the last few months.I mean come on,this is just getting ridiculous.
crushedbacon
11/8/07 8:42:04PM
Yes I agree, Ive been saying it for months he is as shady as it gets for a front man of a top sporting organization.
The_hungry_lumberjack
11/8/07 9:36:09PM
It wouldn't even be as bad if he didn't swear more than teenagers from Harlem. "F" this and that’s "BS" that. Even I feel embarrassed for the UFC when he talks like that in public. Can you imagine what it must be like for the fighters to have him representing their sport?
Rush
11/8/07 10:41:54PM
Oops Dana, oops. Looks like Dana has made a few booboos than can hurt him legally.

If Shamrock is having his lawyer speak for him then this could be very close to a formal legal issue. I would really like to see Dana given the boot and a better business man take his place. However, I feel if this goes further in legal action it might not have the effect we all hope. I can almost see it ending with Shamrock getting his last fight honoured and win or lose nothing else happening.
wapttn
11/8/07 11:19:08PM
People gotta stop riding dana and look at whats really goin on.

When i first heard about ken's lawsuit against the ufc, it was pretty easy to assume that he was pissed off because he was released from his contract (illegally or legally). The ufc basically said that despite being a member of our hall of fame and despite being a pioneer in this sport, your cant compete at our level. Nobody can deny the contributions that ken made to this sport, but he's lost 6 of his last 7, and (in my eyes) his last significant win was over 10 years ago against kimo at ufc8.

Whether or not ken has a legitimate case depends on the specifics of the contract, but i dont think it's fair for people get be on dana's ass for 'disrespecting' shamrock. It was dana's idea to get him inducted into the hall of fame, it was dana's idea to have him as a coach on TUF, and it was dana's idea to give him 2 rematches against tito ortiz allowing him to re-estabish himself. What did ken give in return? His ego got in the way of properly training his TUF team, and he gave 4 unspectacular 1st round tko losses in his last 4 fights.

Apart from all this, people are calling dana slimy? Has anybody actually read these articles? "Dana kind’ve flipped out on that, saying he was gonna squash them and kill them, and that they’re nothing but scumbags and he was gonna crush ‘em. And it just kind of took me off guard". We can all see dana saying that the ufc will crush the ifl behind closed doors.. but i dont see him foaming at the mouth with veins bursting out of his head when he's saying it. And i'm not sure about the time line, but if he's talking about the 2nd fight with tito.. no shit dana doesnt want you coaching in the ifl when you're susposed to be coaching on TUF. Its true that shamrock made money for the ufc, but he's gotta understand that it was his rivalry with ortiz that made the money.. and now that the rivalry is dead and that shamrock has been 'beaten into retirement', nobody's gonna pay to see him in the ufc. And the fact that he's trying to gain sympathy for his cause by referencing other's fighter's situations with ufc management is ridiculous. Nobody is gonna say that the ufc management is perfect but I for one will not support ken shamrock's attempt to bitch and moan his way back into a level of competition in which he does not belong.
wolfgarnaud
11/9/07 1:30:39AM

Posted by wapttn

When i first heard about ken's lawsuit against the ufc, it was pretty easy to assume that he was pissed off because he was released from his contract (illegally or legally). The ufc basically said that despite being a member of our hall of fame and despite being a pioneer in this sport, your cant compete at our level. Nobody can deny the contributions that ken made to this sport, but he's lost 6 of his last 7, and (in my eyes) his last significant win was over 10 years ago against kimo at ufc8.

Whether or not ken has a legitimate case depends on the specifics of the contract, but i dont think it's fair for people get be on dana's ass for 'disrespecting' shamrock. It was dana's idea to get him inducted into the hall of fame, it was dana's idea to have him as a coach on TUF, and it was dana's idea to give him 2 rematches against tito ortiz allowing him to re-estabish himself. What did ken give in return? His ego got in the way of properly training his TUF team, and he gave 4 unspectacular 1st round tko losses in his last 4 fights.

Apart from all this, people are calling dana slimy? Has anybody actually read these articles? "Dana kind’ve flipped out on that, saying he was gonna squash them and kill them, and that they’re nothing but scumbags and he was gonna crush ‘em. And it just kind of took me off guard". We can all see dana saying that the ufc will crush the ifl behind closed doors.. but i dont see him foaming at the mouth with veins bursting out of his head when he's saying it. And i'm not sure about the time line, but if he's talking about the 2nd fight with tito.. no shit dana doesnt want you coaching in the ifl when you're susposed to be coaching on TUF. Its true that shamrock made money for the ufc, but he's gotta understand that it was his rivalry with ortiz that made the money.. and now that the rivalry is dead and that shamrock has been 'beaten into retirement', nobody's gonna pay to see him in the ufc. And the fact that he's trying to gain sympathy for his cause by referencing other's fighter's situations with ufc management is ridiculous. Nobody is gonna say that the ufc management is perfect but I for one will not support ken shamrock's attempt to bitch and moan his way back into a level of competition in which he does not belong.

i dont see why not, Dana always have talked of good he is with the fighters specially his "friends" apparenttly he doesnt have any... even if shamrock sucks or not, or if its getting oldm it doesnt matter, Dana is looking BAD with all this allegations, and i could really see Shamrock winning this.
other than that, i think we all know why Dana was keepin Shamrock in the UFC and it was just for those 2 crappy fights against Tito Ortiz. "bitter rivals" .
wapttn
11/9/07 3:10:25AM
If shamrock wins this lawsuit, it will be because of the conditions of his contract, nothing else. Dana does say that he treats the fighters well, but in reality, we dont know what goes on behind closed doors. Some fighters speak highly of him, other fighters dont. At this point the only person with a legitimate issue is henderson, who is simply holding out for a better contract which he thinks will be offered. Couture's issues have become less credible since a few of his key points were proven to be false and I dont know how you can use shamrock as an example of Dana treating his fighters poorly. When was the last time anybody considered shamrock a fighter?
cmill21
11/9/07 3:25:33AM

Posted by wapttn

Are you involved with the UFC in some way? Seem's like your a little blinded as to what Dana's doing, done and will do.
jomatty
11/9/07 4:04:18AM
i bet randy cringes a little bit everytime shamrock pretends like their situations are very similar...even though they are on totally opposite sides of the same issue.

and one thing is true, no one does want to see ken get whipped again, and if he fights a decent fighter that is exactly what will happen. not saying that is reason enough to release someone from their contract, but i dont really know. it is hard for me to believe that dana would do something like that without talking to his lawyers and those that really understand the contracts but who knows the way he's acting lately. if ken has to fight maybe dana will come back and say that fedor is not a top 5 and ken is, nothing that comes out of his mouth would surprise me, at this point but i still have to think his actions are based on some reasonings
wapttn
11/9/07 7:15:55AM
No I dont have a job with the ufc, still at university =/. I've been in an mma phase for about the last 8 months.. I've followed the sport for about 6 years now, but over the last 8 months i've read pretty much every article I could find relating to it. And with that said, I pride myself on having a fair opinion.. i try not to get caught up in trends of thought, or be too stubborn. With all that said, it seems to be trendy to blame the ufc management right now. Since they couldnt sign fedor, called him less than top5, badmouthed barnett, couldnt sign others like gomi or kang, had randy come out and publicly say that the ufc treated him poorly, had henderson say that they're lowballing him, and now shamrock saying that the ufc unduely released him from the contract. I'll say what i always say, we should really reserve our judgement unless we have all the facts.. we're the audience and we formulate our opinions based on other people opinions and only fractions of the facts. We dont actually know whats going on.. but with that said.. fedor's management was asking for ridiculous conditions in his contract, most of which the ufc caved in to, but wouldnt agree to co-promotions with m1.. the ufc had to draw the line somewhere and that violated their business model. For dana to say that fedor isnt top5 should be meaningless to avid fans, but it works for casual fans because now they dont care if he's signed.. and theres an arguement behind it with him not facing decent competition recently, and with how CC has done in the ufc. Why did he bad mouth barnett? because he called randy a paper champion, he talked shit so randy didnt have to.. thats treating you're fighters well. As for fighters like gomi or kang, gomi wanted to stay in japan, and kang wanted to fight for spiritMC, neither being things that the ufc can work with. Hendo.. he was probably right, they lowballed him, and if he holds out he'll get a fair contract. And randy.. everyone was behind randy when this shit first blew up, but with no disrespect to randy as a fighter, i took the ufc's side on this one after proof was shown that some of randy's key claims were false.

I hate posting this much, especially in 1 thread, cummon guys...... Everyone wants to blame the establishment, everyone wants to complain about management, go against the system and all that cool stuff, but stop tryin to be so cool and think about this stuff. I'm not saying that the ufc's hands are clean in any of these matters, and there are probably things that we dont know about that we'd flip out on.. but at the same time, you cant get behind every fighter that cried about getting exploited by a corporation.. otherwise you get people supporting ken shamrock on ridiculous claims like these
madmarck
11/9/07 7:32:55AM
only one way to solve this.

Coture , Shamrock and Monte Cox in a tag team match against Dana and the Ferttia bros.

Fedor Reffing
Rush
11/9/07 9:09:51AM
This really isn't about Fedor or Barnett. It's not about Dana acting like a pubescent kid dropping F-bombs. Those issues always get brought up, but really are not at the heart of it.

If what Ken/Ken's lawyer said is true, Dana did not honour Ken's contract. Then about a year or so later, tells Randy he needs to honour his contract and alludes (or even outright stated) to taking legal action against him if he fights in another org.

If those actions are a reflection of how the president of the UFC does business, I sure as hell think an investigation is necessary. The world of boxing is filled with allegations (and proof sometimes) of crooked deals, fight fixes and cronyism. If MMA turns into that I will no longer be a fan.

The UFC is still trying to get established as a legit sport and quite frankly; if its president is acting in a manner deemed hypocritical, unprofessional and possibly illegal, I think that is a really big issue.
FantasyFighter
11/9/07 10:34:11AM

Posted by Rush

This really isn't about Fedor or Barnett. It's not about Dana acting like a pubescent kid dropping F-bombs. Those issues always get brought up, but really are not at the heart of it.

If what Ken/Ken's lawyer said is true, Dana did not honour Ken's contract. Then about a year or so later, tells Randy he needs to honour his contract and alludes (or even outright stated) to taking legal action against him if he fights in another org.

If those actions are a reflection of how the president of the UFC does business, I sure as hell think an investigation is necessary. The world of boxing is filled with allegations (and proof sometimes) of crooked deals, fight fixes and cronyism. If MMA turns into that I will no longer be a fan.

The UFC is still trying to get established as a legit sport and quite frankly; if its president is acting in a manner deemed hypocritical, unprofessional and possibly illegal, I think that is a really big issue.

Well said. I mean, you have to look at each case separately and decide for yourself who you think is in the wrong, but always keep in mind that a majority of the time when there is a disagreement, both parties share some of the blame.

As far as Dana White and the UFC goes, even if youi think they are right in each of these recent cases, you have to admit that at the least there is a trend here of unhappy fighters and that perhaps they could be doing a little more or a little better to make sure the fighters feel as if they are treated fairly. I think there will always be somebody complaining, but it just seems like more than that lately.
tuvok500
11/9/07 10:40:52AM

Posted by wapttn

No I dont have a job with the ufc, still at university =/. I've been in an mma phase for about the last 8 months.. I've followed the sport for about 6 years now, but over the last 8 months i've read pretty much every article I could find relating to it. And with that said, I pride myself on having a fair opinion.. i try not to get caught up in trends of thought, or be too stubborn. With all that said, it seems to be trendy to blame the ufc management right now. Since they couldnt sign fedor, called him less than top5, badmouthed barnett, couldnt sign others like gomi or kang, had randy come out and publicly say that the ufc treated him poorly, had henderson say that they're lowballing him, and now shamrock saying that the ufc unduely released him from the contract. I'll say what i always say, we should really reserve our judgement unless we have all the facts.. we're the audience and we formulate our opinions based on other people opinions and only fractions of the facts. We dont actually know whats going on.. but with that said.. fedor's management was asking for ridiculous conditions in his contract, most of which the ufc caved in to, but wouldnt agree to co-promotions with m1.. the ufc had to draw the line somewhere and that violated their business model. For dana to say that fedor isnt top5 should be meaningless to avid fans, but it works for casual fans because now they dont care if he's signed.. and theres an arguement behind it with him not facing decent competition recently, and with how CC has done in the ufc. Why did he bad mouth barnett? because he called randy a paper champion, he talked shit so randy didnt have to.. thats treating you're fighters well. As for fighters like gomi or kang, gomi wanted to stay in japan, and kang wanted to fight for spiritMC, neither being things that the ufc can work with. Hendo.. he was probably right, they lowballed him, and if he holds out he'll get a fair contract. And randy.. everyone was behind randy when this shit first blew up, but with no disrespect to randy as a fighter, i took the ufc's side on this one after proof was shown that some of randy's key claims were false.

I hate posting this much, especially in 1 thread, cummon guys...... Everyone wants to blame the establishment, everyone wants to complain about management, go against the system and all that cool stuff, but stop tryin to be so cool and think about this stuff. I'm not saying that the ufc's hands are clean in any of these matters, and there are probably things that we dont know about that we'd flip out on.. but at the same time, you cant get behind every fighter that cried about getting exploited by a corporation.. otherwise you get people supporting ken shamrock on ridiculous claims like these

No need to explain why !!!

Darnok
11/9/07 11:44:06AM

Posted by wapttn

...... Everyone wants to blame the establishment, everyone wants to complain about management, go against the system and all that cool stuff, but stop tryin to be so cool and think about this stuff. I'm not saying that the ufc's hands are clean in any of these matters, and there are probably things that we dont know about that we'd flip out on.. but at the same time, you cant get behind every fighter that cried about getting exploited by a corporation.. otherwise you get people supporting ken shamrock on ridiculous claims like these