Why is Ken Shamrock in the UFC hall of fame?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Why is Ken Shamrock in the UFC hall of fame?
big_timmy
9/20/08 12:39:21AM
I understand he started in UFC 1, and did pretty well, but what has he really done? What did he do that Don frye didn't do better?

This isnt fighter bashing, i just dont understand why he should be in the HOF.
Wolfenstein
9/20/08 12:44:34AM
He was the first superfight champion. He was one of the first well rouned fighters so he desrves it.
Cdellorso
9/20/08 1:44:54AM
he was one of the very best of his era- the game has past him by and he has gotten old- dont discount what he was for his time by what is now-
voodoo-jitsu
9/20/08 1:47:16AM

Posted by Cdellorso

he was one of the very best of his era- the game has past him by and he has gotten old- dont discount what he was for his time by what is now-

very well put
Pskinner_mma314
9/20/08 1:58:30AM
I agree that Ken should be in the HOF, I agree that he very much so deserves it.

But every time I see him in an interview before a fight, its ,"I did this for the sport, or I did that for the sport, respect me because of this and what I did."

It just gets on my nerves, ur in the hall of fame, you don't have anything to prove, SHUT THE **** UP
Cdellorso
9/20/08 2:04:12AM
I do think he has taken a few too many to the melon- I really hope he subs or even better, gnps KIMBONEhEad to a ko-sub- Nothing really against Kimbo, I just want the nuthuggers to see that in this sport you cant fake it till you make-
mrsumo
9/20/08 6:32:56AM
Ken Shamrock definitely deserves to be in the hall of fame. Not only for his own fight history, but for how sucessful his Lions Den was the first decade of the sport. I will jump out and say I wish he had retired before his second loss to Tito. Everyone would have a better opinion of his career if he had. Most people only look at the most recent, not the great history he was a part of.
sparky
9/20/08 10:35:49AM
Shamrock might not be that good any more but in his prime he was destroying people with leg locks, He just needs to retire and people will respect him more in my opinion because he doesnt possess the skills needed to beat the competition out there any more.
nickcuc547
9/20/08 11:51:05AM
before he went to the wwf he was one of the sports best, he is a pioneer of the sport and deserves to be a hall of famer no questions asked.
casey64
9/20/08 12:38:19PM
He deserves to be in the Hall of Fame because of the Tito grudge matches IMO. Those grudge matches attracted alot of people to the UFC IMO as well.
Biggz
9/20/08 1:54:31PM

Posted by nickcuc547

before he went to the wwf he was one of the sports best, he is a pioneer of the sport and deserves to be a hall of famer no questions asked.

he was more or less a founding father of this sport (in America) and pioneer. he was also one of the first big names for MMA in the U.S
Aether
9/20/08 4:42:44PM
The sport may have passed him by but Shamrock was the original prototype of the complete MMA fighter. He was one of the first fighters to combine different aspects of the fight game successfully... Nearly everyone else in that era was good at only one thing. Ken was one of the first guys who was dangerous in many different areas.

He was also instrumental in the very early growth of the sport. I remember my brothers talking about him when he adopted the title "most dangerous man in the world" back when it was actually applicable. He was up there with Royce as the face of MMA in those days.
bls1919
9/20/08 10:42:18PM
absolutly deserves it
emfleek
9/21/08 12:44:57PM
If this question is seriously being asked, someone hasn't been paying attention to the growth of MMA over the years.

Shamrock, even though I can't stand the guy, most definitely deserves to be in the Hall of Fame. It's not always about wins/losses.
Tein_Lung
9/21/08 8:05:51PM
Ken was one of the top fighters 10 years ago... but hes also got Tito syndrome, he thinks becasue he was once at the top of the sport it means he still is at the top of the sport
JohnnyNapalm
9/22/08 12:30:12PM

Posted by big_timmy

I understand he started in UFC 1, and did pretty well, but what has he really done? What did he do that Don frye didn't do better?

This isnt fighter bashing, i just dont understand why he should be in the HOF.

Ken Shamrock had everything that a fighter should have in the eyes of an idealistic North American white male 20-30 year old MMA fan - physique, attitude, mic skillz, born American, Caucasian and that certain something, call it "charisma"?, that made him very likeable among MMA's core audience even when he was losing.

Unfortunately, the losing part is something that Ken Shamrock has been experiencing more often than not through-out his MMA career. His most positive career defining fight was his second against Royce - a draw. Even though, IMO, it looked like Ken fought not to lose the fight, nonetheless it was a big deal and a kind of "victory" at the time.

Then came the craptacular Ken vs Severn II. That left another big loss and rather ugly stain on his legacy. He moved on to a rasslin' career which gave him a bigger spotlight and probably picked-up a ton of fans. This added fame helped in his return to MMA and lead-up to Tito/Ken I. Tito/Ken I was a huge money maker at the time for North American mma and that's why Ken is in the UFC HAll Of Fame more than any other reason - Ken Shamrock despite his inability to win big fights could still draw more attention than most fighters and more importantly more money when ever he fought.

IMO, Ken in his prime proved to be a tough, game fighter (see Ken/Frye) but ultimately at the end of the day he just couldn't beat the top level guys. I think he may have lacked the level of mental toughness (which goes right back to training and onwards) needed to topple some of the guys he lost to. Throw in a couple bad breaks like the controversial stoppage against Sakuraba and it's been an ugly career at times for Ken.

Bottomline, Ken Shamrock was very popular amongst the fans for reasons other than being a winner and apparently this is enough for the Hall Of Fame.
jgtribbett
9/23/08 10:55:32PM
he made an impact on the sport for sure, i think a couple ppl should be in it that probably wont be..

they need to have an MMA Hall of Fame

mrsmiley
9/24/08 11:57:52AM
I really can't believe this question is being asked.
He was a pioneer for MMA not only in America,but Japan as well.
Hell,anyone that can beat El Quapo not once,but twice,without a doubt should be in some sort of HOF.
sonicsmokesweed
9/24/08 4:18:49PM
Ken Shamrock was a beast back in the day. He made Royce Gracie retire for 10 years df u mean he aint no hall of famer? Nowdays, his attitude dont meat his skill level Kimbo Slice is gonna Retire him for good after he put his mits on him