Does Ken Shamrock Deserve to be in the hall of fame?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Does Ken Shamrock Deserve to be in the hall of fame?
Next Page »
POLL: Does Ken Deserve to be a hall of famer?
Yes 77% (47)
No 23% (14)
Boo_Radley21
7/27/07 1:17:17AM
I don't really get what he did to get in. I know he's been around for a long time but he doesn't seem to have accomplished a lot in the ufc. Maybe I'm wrong but his ufc record is 7-6-2. Maybe someone could tell me if there's some things he has accomplished that I don't know about.
loonytnt
7/27/07 1:32:34AM
he needs to be in for sure, why is this a question? well you most be new to mma, its a yes 100% he was one of the first who where kickin butt before anyone lol im done on this one its a yes
Boo_Radley21
7/27/07 1:36:36AM
So just cause he's been around a long time he should be in the hall of fame?
loonytnt
7/27/07 1:46:44AM
have you seen him fight in the 90s? he helped make the sport. imo he was the most well rounded fighter back then, he may be old and done now but dont forget his name because anyone who knows anything about mma knows his name, hell he even went to the wwf he was the man back in the day is there anything else you need to no?
MoJoy
7/27/07 1:55:30AM
Yes. We all know the truth of it, the sport has passed him by. He is not in his prime and the competition today is leaps and bounds gotten better. But there is also a truth of it, where someone helps evolve a sport when it is a point much more raw and out of the minds of people.

Slam dunk Hall of Famer.
JuggaloWarrior878
7/27/07 2:47:23AM
For sure
TOMMYAYO05
7/27/07 5:08:27AM

Posted by Boo_Radley21

So just cause he's been around a long time he should be in the hall of fame?

okay put it this way no shamrock no ufc making it bigtime which = us not even having this conversation.He attracted many fans andd is a pioneer of the sport yeah not anymore and noone likes him but he use to be very respected.
gspgnp
7/27/07 8:56:16AM
If Ken was not in the hall of fame, then it would be a joke. He is absolutely a hall of famer. Not only did he participate in some of the biggest fights of his time, he is also responsible for training some of the best fighters of all time. The Lion's Den was the most feared camp back in the day.
DJDark41
7/27/07 9:49:17AM
I think he does. Being in the hall of fame isn't about having the most titles and having the best record, you need to have helped the sport get to a new level. Without guys like Royce Gracie and Dan Severn bringing BJJ and Wrestling to the UFC, who knows where we would be? I think Ken Shamrock is just one of those guys that helped change the way the UFC was in a positive way.
fullerene
7/27/07 10:23:46AM
* Ken was arguably the best in the world from about 1994-1996.

* He was a star in Pancrase, Pride and the UFC

* He's one of the most recognizable personalities in MMA

* He has helped train several other high-level competitors

* He has fought 9 other guys I'd put in my hall of fame (Royce Gracie, Bas Rutten, Mas Funaki, Dan Severn, Maurice Smith, Oleg Taktarov, Don Frye, Kazushi Sakuraba and Tito Ortiz)

If he doesn't get in, nobody does.
pv3Hpv3p
7/27/07 10:30:37AM

Posted by fullerene

* Ken was arguably the best in the world from about 1996-1998.

* He has fought 9 other guys I'd put in my hall of fame (Royce Gracie, Bas Rutten, Mas Funaki, Dan Severn, Maurice Smith, Oleg Taktarov, Don Frye, Kazushi Sakuraba and Tito Ortiz)

/END THREAD/
grappler0000
7/27/07 12:15:17PM
...not to mention, he was the first true Mixed Martial Artist to ever step in the Octagon. His last number of matches may have tarnished his record, but it doesn't change he is...and once was. He didn't get his nickname by telling stories like Marlon Sims did.
Manfred
7/27/07 12:41:45PM
*Waits for Richie to show up guns blazing*

I think he's as deserving as Coleman and Frye from the early guys.
xchickox
7/27/07 2:10:25PM
this is probably the stupidest thread i have seen since i joined this site, shamrock helped make ufc what it is today, without him in the original days i think ufc would have died by ufc 10 at the most
cowcatcher
7/27/07 2:18:21PM

Posted by fullerene

this is the perfect post, i think any question about shammy got answered here......where is richie????
pv3Hpv3p
7/27/07 2:43:34PM

Posted by Manfred

*Waits for Richie to show up guns blazing*

No shit... The World's Most Dangerous Mod is coming... Can you hear the footsteps??
Boo_Radley21
7/27/07 3:03:47PM
What do you mean?
pv3Hpv3p
7/27/07 4:01:40PM

Posted by Boo_Radley21

What do you mean?

Not sure if you were asking me or not, but...

Just a joke really, there's a mod on this site who is probably the world's biggest Ken Shamrock fan... I'm sure that he'll have something to say on the topic
Boo_Radley21
7/27/07 4:40:30PM
Haha alright.
TOMMYAYO05
7/27/07 10:29:11PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Posted by Boo_Radley21

What do you mean?

Not sure if you were asking me or not, but...

Just a joke really, there's a mod on this site who is probably the world's biggest Ken Shamrock fan... I'm sure that he'll have something to say on the topic

oh yeah ive seen that guy too im suprised he hasnt came in yet and threw his two cents in.
_GSP_
7/28/07 5:59:33PM
YES YES YES YES
masodd
7/28/07 8:24:37PM
man how is this even a question.............YES !!!!!!!!! end of story
hippysmacker
7/29/07 6:50:16AM

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by fullerene

this is the perfect post, i think any question about shammy got answered here......where is richie????

Well said
richieb19
7/29/07 12:10:36PM
where is richie????
I can't believe it took me this long to get to this thread! I could go off for hours on the subject, but the answer is so obvious that it's almost pointless. Simply put, he was the best fighter in the world from '93-'96, he trained on of the best camps in the sports history, which brought in so many great fighters, and he was the first champion in UFC and Pancrase, organizations he basically put on the map... so yes!

On a side note, I find it very silly that you base your argument off the fact that he went 7-6-2 in the UFC. Had you seen all his fights you'd know that the numbers don't tell the true story. Half of his losses are to Tito Ortiz, one of which was stopped early and was the reason for the third. His split decision loss to Severn was a (boring) robbery, and his two draws where wins.

If anyone here wants to watch his fights, I've uploaded them all onto www.veoh.com...
richieb19
7/29/07 12:11:46PM

Posted by fullerene

I'd argue that, seeing as he retired in '96 lol.
casey64
7/29/07 2:23:07PM

Posted by masodd

man how is this even a question.............YES !!!!!!!!! end of story

D0wnUnd6e6r
10/18/07 8:01:01PM
hall of fame of what??? if your talking ufc no, of course not, if your just talking mma hall of fame wich i'm not sure where it actually stands or if there is one yeah sure. Ken Shamrock is a real good mma fighter, but his ufc reigns sucked...like come one
Rush
10/18/07 8:27:41PM

Posted by fullerene

To add to your last point, he beat Severn and argueably Gracie, both of who are in the HOF. He has also beaten other UFC title holders back in the pancrase days.
NatedawgThaM
10/18/07 9:53:39PM
I personally think he should. he was the best in the world at a certain time in MMA history and his only BAD losses are too Tito Ortiz. I will say though WHY DID HE GIVE UP AGAINST FUJITA? I thought he was freakin winning? bad move by him...Plus when he fought Gracie the 1st time. he DID tap...but other then that this guy was a beast back when MMA first came out and yes those Draws should be wins and he should have beaten Don Frye...
Pitbull09
10/18/07 9:58:35PM
I honestly thought he was alrdy in lol. Right now its gracie, couture, dan, and who else? I remember there being 4. I think he should get in. Couture doesnt have the best record either but so many of his fights were just classics whether he won or lost. But thats the last of any of the guys before ufc 10 that should go in
Pages: [1] 2