Ken Shamrock - Unluckiest Fighter In MMA History?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Ken Shamrock - Unluckiest Fighter In MMA History?
JohnnyNapalm
10/5/08 10:49:37AM
Ken Shamrock's career, can it get any worse? Luck of the Irish my azz. He can't seem to catch a break and if anyone ever needed some luck it's Ken. Cut himself prior to the EliteXC debut fight against Kimbo and lost his chance at some sort of redemption and a much needed injection of life into his flat lining career. And then there's the result of last night's fight - Ken must have said "Doh!" when he seen that.

Take a look at all the nails in this dude's coffin and it's amazing that Ken's still around:

- had one of the worst fights in MMA history with Dan Severn
- 2/3 losses to Tito could be classified as humiliating
- the quick beatdown by Rich Franklin
- the quick loss to Sakuraba
- his poor showing by himself and his team in TUF
- the beatdown in Britain by "what'shisname?"
- withdrawing from last night's EliteXC debut due to a cut during warm-up

If Ken continues to stick around what can he do to get some instant respect now? Maybe fight his brother? I seriously think that's about the only "big" fight left for him that would draw any attention. Stay tuned and see if it can get any worse.

postman
10/5/08 11:03:19AM
As far as luck goes hes only bad luck was the cut the rest of it was all the over hype he got over the years.
juanez13
10/5/08 11:22:16AM
not even close.
Jackelope
10/5/08 12:19:01PM
If he's any bit unlucky it's all his own doing. He doesn't get any sympathy from me for those things.

I'd consider even Clay Guida a bit more unlucky for getting two nods against him when he could have easily been considered the winner of both fights.

JohnnyNapalm
10/5/08 12:19:42PM

Posted by juanez13

not even close.

Not sure what lines you're thinking along but care to expand on that?

Ken's consistent fight related missteps, whether you call it luck or just plain stupidity, have dominated the second half of his career. Can't think of too many other high profile fighters who have had as many blunders as Ken.
JohnnyNapalm
10/5/08 12:25:38PM

Posted by Jackelope

If he's any bit unlucky it's all his own doing. He doesn't get any sympathy from me for those things.

I'd consider even Clay Guida a bit more unlucky for getting two nods against him when he could have easily been considered the winner of both fights.

True, but Clay still gets respect at the end of the day or at least he should. Regardless of what happens Guida should always be remembered as a great fighter as his career stands right now.

Ken not only losses on paper but, IMO, he constantly losses respect as well. Keeps making moves that have great potential but go terribly wrong.
Jackelope
10/5/08 12:37:45PM

Posted by JohnnyNapalm

Posted by Jackelope

True, but Clay still gets respect at the end of the day or at least he should. Regardless of what happens Guida should always be remembered as a great fighter as his career stands right now.

Ken not only losses on paper but, IMO, he constantly losses respect as well. Keeps making moves that have great potential but go terribly wrong.

Well, I don't necessarily disagree with the second part of your post. Again, though... I consider it his own fault. I give the man respect for what he did throughout the years, but he's got to realize he's done. He's only going to keep sliding down the hill if he puts himself in the cage against stronger, faster and younger guys. He's had a rough career with some epic battles (and not so epic as was mentioned already ) He just needs to hang it up. How is he going to feel if he fights Kimbo again and has a loss to KIMBO?? That's got to be a serious blow to his pride.

I was at a local show here last night and there were 4 Lion's Den fighters at the show from 3 different states. I'm sure he's got plenty of money since there's a Lion's Den apparently in every state. Just hang 'em up Ken, please... for your own sake.
jiujitsufreak74
10/5/08 1:02:41PM
imo, the unluckiest fighter is Pete Sell:

- had Scott Smith hurt bad...then we all know what happened after that
- had Nate Quarry in trouble several times and was on his way to victory before he ate a pretty unfortunate punch from Quarry in the third
- got Staph on TUF 4 and spread it to half of the house
- probably the most talented fighter who is 1-4 in the UFC
JohnnyNapalm
10/5/08 1:12:43PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

- had Nate Quarry in trouble several times and was on his way to victory before he ate a pretty unfortunate punch from Quarry in the third

Pretty good choice, except there's really nothing there for Sell to be embarrassed about. He still gets props for showing that he was in those fights.
JohnnyNapalm
10/5/08 1:14:59PM
I forgot to mention that Ken had that terrible nickname "World's Most Dangerous Man". I realize that wasn't his invention but it only made matters worse every time he lost in such convincing style.
jiujitsufreak74
10/5/08 1:17:42PM

Posted by JohnnyNapalm

Pretty good choice, except there's really nothing there for Sell to be embarrassed about. He still gets props for showing that he was in those fights.

oh i know, i'm just saying in terms of unlucky Sell is probably at the top. i like Sell a lot and i always root for him when he fights, but the dude is just unlucky.
Pookie
10/5/08 1:19:32PM
Unluckiest of all time without a doubt is Sean Salmon.

The man almost dies everytime he steps in the cage for gods sake.
JohnnyNapalm
10/5/08 1:23:20PM

Posted by Pookie

Yeah, but he does it with such style:

"And the Emmy for "Best In Ring Near Death Performance" goes to..."
jiujitsufreak74
10/5/08 1:25:47PM

Posted by Pookie

did you seem Gina's impression of Sean Salmon when she attempted that knee?
hotrodttt
10/5/08 3:33:19PM

Posted by Pookie

did you seem Gina's impression of Sean Salmon when she attempted that knee?

Was she trying to play hacky sack with Kelly
pmeout
10/5/08 5:23:50PM
First off Shamie unlucky hardly. You have to question this guy for some of his antics. He has had only two impressive fights in his modern career and he lost both of them (Fujita, Frye). He just continues to look like an ass every way he can. He is definitely one of the most unprofessional fighters of all time.
haggiswashere
10/6/08 12:11:38PM
ken shamrock isn't unlucky. he is just not as talented as he used to be.
artofdefense
10/7/08 8:43:08AM
I'd just like to say that Ken Shamrock is THE REASON I started fighting, and he deserves all the respect in the world. I realize his personality can rub people the wrong way, but he's just had a chip on his shoulder all his life.

That said, Please retire Ken. I'm sick of the haters puffing up their chests like they know something everytime you lose, and you have so much knowledge to impart on anotther generation of fighters.
Rush
10/7/08 9:17:30AM
IMO, Sell is not a great fighter. He shouldn't be in the UFC and now that Serra is no longer a champion expect his next fight to be his last.

I think Ken's biggest problem was that he started in the UFC and was allowed to be there from day because he was so well known, not because he was a great fighter. Honestly, I don't think he was a great fighter outside of Pancrase. In the UFC he had just as many problems fighting the better fighters as he did fighting guys that didn't know much about MMA.

Something that I find strange is that Ken had so many "controversial" stoppages against him. Right from UFC 1 (I'm not sure about Pancrase before that) he had problems with stoppages and judging by that event alone, makes me think that all the so called controversial stoppages were in fact good ones and he just chirped about them all the time. He just didn't want to accept the fact that he lost.

All in all Ken has some skills, but I think they are very limited. I used to like him, but after I saw him on TUF and some instances afterwards, I just can' t get the image out out of my head of him being a coach that doesn't really coach, a sore loser and an overall chippy fighter that demands more respect than he has earned as of late.

Whatever Ken is or is seen as, he's done it to himself.
mach
10/9/08 10:38:44AM
if by unlucky you mean dumb as hell then yes

JohnnyNapalm
10/9/08 12:05:46PM
Wait just a minute.

What if...

- correct me if I'm wrong, but in the second fight with Severn isn't it true there was a rule confusion with regards to closed fist strikes? I thought that closed fist strikes were not to be allowed and yet Severn G'N'P'ed Ken at the end with closed fist strikes? If true, couldn't it be considered an unlucky break for Ken that Severn may have broken the rules and got away with it which likely made the difference in the fight?

- the fight with Frye was extremely close IMO. Doesn't anybody think the decision could've gone either way? Between the 2 I think Ken needed that win more than Frye. Unlucky not to get the decision?

- the fight with Sak. That was a pretty weird stoppage. Ken claimed he was using the ropes to buy time after being clocked by a guy who doesn't have a rep for clocking guys. The ref jumps in and stops it why? If Ken was some new guy that had zero rep then maybe I could understand but he was a known fighter (fought many times in Japan before). Had the fight continued maybe Ken would've lost anyway but maybe he could've gained some respect by putting in a good effort. As it stands it's another embarrassing moment for Ken. Unlucky call by the ref?

- who knows what really happened in the locker room prior to the Kimbo fight. But until someone can prove otherwise maybe it was a freak accident that he got cut. Then Kimbo gets exposed by an unknown guy in front of a huge audience and Ken must be thinking, "****!" - another missed opportunity. Bad luck again?

I'm not saying Ken deserves better. But I'm sure we can all think of other dudes who are worse ****-ups that have caught a break when they need it most. Not Ken though. The Charlie Brown of MMA.