Kelly Pavlik moves up to fight bernard Hopkins

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Kelly Pavlik moves up to fight bernard Hopkins
CantAndleDaRiddum
7/18/08 1:38:51PM
Unable to secure a meaningful opponent to wage a middleweight championship defense against in the fall, Kelly Pavlik will move up in weight and face former light heavyweight champion and middleweight champion Bernard Hopkins, Top Rank promoter Bob Arum told ESPN.com Thursday.

Arum said he and Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer struck a deal Thursday for the nontitle fight, which will take place Oct. 18 on HBO PPV at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, N.J.

Pavlik, 26, will move up 10 pounds and face Hopkins at 170 pounds, five under the light heavyweight limit, Arum said.

"There's a deal, but there are a few details to be tied up," Arum said. "But the fight is happening."

Since Pavlik (34-0, 30 KOs), who was in Hawaii preparing for his wedding on Friday to the mother of his daughter, blew out Gary Lockett in three lopsided rounds in his first title defense at Boardwalk Hall on June 7, Arum has run through numerous potential opponents.

There were talks for a fight with Joe Calzaghe (which would have taken place at super middleweight), Marco Antonio Rubio, Randy Griffin, Sergio Mora, Paul Williams and Winky Wright. For various reasons, none panned out, leaving Arum to turn to the 43-year-old Hopkins (48-5-1, 32 KOs), who lost the light heavyweight title to Calzaghe on a split decision on April 19.link
SmileR
7/18/08 1:45:45PM
He stands more of a chance against Hopkins than Calzaghe and Mora but I still don't think he'll win. Thats a lot of weight to put on for a boxer and he's fighting a once P4P king.
This could be the end of his perfect record. I hope he knows what he's doing!
DCRage
7/18/08 2:01:55PM
I would've liked to see a Calzaghe fight had Joe not been going after Jones before reportedly calling it a career. Hopefully Pavlik pulls out another W, he has a chance to be the next great American boxer in any weight class, as if he wasn't already. The guy is amazing.
juanez13
7/18/08 2:05:29PM

Posted by DCRage

I would've liked to see a Calzaghe fight had Joe not been going after Jones before reportedly calling it a career. Hopefully Pavlik pulls out another W, he has a chance to be the next great American boxer in any weight class, as if he wasn't already. The guy is amazing.

True, im hoping for Pavlik to pull out the win here, should be a good clash.
voodoo-jitsu
7/18/08 2:21:53PM
pavlik a hometown product
WAR pavlik
postman
7/18/08 5:48:15PM
I have Pavlik taking this one.
Aaronno9
7/18/08 6:15:42PM
Lame, i wanted to see him fight Calzaghe. I really dont like watching Bernard fight but i think hes got a good chance of beating kelly. If i was a betting man though, my money would be on Pavlik.
seanfu
7/18/08 11:49:02PM
Pavlic's gonna win a poor looking decision based on volume of punches and B-Hop refusing to step on the gas before round 4. Bernard probably won't be fased by any shots but defense mode is gonna earn an L.
JackHammerXXX
7/21/08 10:40:19PM
Pavlik fought Taylor in their rematch, at 166 I believe. So I don't think the weight will play so much a part as the experience. Bernard is such a savvy, sometimes overschooled in the boxing game, warrior that he makes for uneventful, drawn out decisions. I loved what he did against Tarver. I'm a Winky fan, so I still don't like that decision. And I didn't agree with Hopkins' reaction to the Calzaghe dec. because I,too believed it was Joe's night. He deserved the win. I was hoping that Calzaghe would be fighting Pavlik. I think it's still possible but, only if Kelly beats Bernard, convincingly. And Joe beats Roy in Sept. That might be enough to lure Calzaghe into a Kelly Pavlik matchup. As for Kelly Pavlik and Bernard Hopkins, I got my money on Pavlik Decision, and my wildcard would be a Hopkins knockout early, first 3-5 rounds. Kelly is just as aggressive as Joe, but I think he swings and presses with the intent to knock someone's head off, as opposed to Calzaghe's more point scoring, constant output style. Which leads me to think Bernard could finally throw some caution to the wind,and throw some haymakers and catch Pavlik, once or twice for an early KO.