Keith Jardine vs. Thiago Silva

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Keith Jardine vs. Thiago Silva
POLL: Who Wins?
Keith Jardine 62% (33)
Thiago Silva 38% (20)
chickmagnet
7/21/09 3:33:08PM
I noticed on the UFC website that Thiago Silva was the favorite, and 55% voted for him. I think Jardine is a heavy favorite, and I do believe he will win. His last fight was a very good fight and I thought if he hadn't got knocked down in the final seconds he could have won the fight. If Jardine takes him lightly I think Thiago could win.

Jardine is an un orthodox striker, but he hits very hard and is very durable. Silva has a strong takedown and viscious GnP, and is a good striker. I believe Jardine will win because of the pace he fights at, if he can bring this fight into the later rounds he will be able to grind out a brutal decision.
NatedawgThaM
7/21/09 3:45:46PM
Bad style match up for Jardine IMO, perfect for Thiago coming back from such a disappointing outing. He gets a great style match up and its a pretty big name too. probably the biggest name hes ever fought at the time since Jardine right now IMO is more noticeable to the casual fan then Machida when he fought Thiago.

Jardine always seems to get caught by guys that just come right at him. If rampage would have just done that he would have took him out early but since he stayed in the pocket and exchanged with jardine he almost lost. He's just a distance or pocket striker but the way he throws awkwardly it sets him up in terrible positions to be caught and KO'd. Thiago always brings it though, I dont know what the heck he was doing against machida just slowly walking him down, but every other time hes always going to come right at you and I think jardines in for a world of pain. I imagine Thiagos coming out for blood after that disappointing embarrassing lost, and I think jardine in for another brutal Wandy/Houston type KO.
Nightmare27
7/21/09 3:58:36PM
Jardine by decision if it goes that far, Thiago if it gets finished. Either way looking forward to a good scrap.
mkiv9secsupra
7/21/09 4:27:04PM
Thiago doesnt have the power that Wandy or Houston have by far. Jardine will only have to do what he normally does to beat Silva.

Jardine via UD
nickcuc547
7/21/09 5:01:30PM
jardine by a hair, he makes the fight ugly enough to get the nod.
RandyCouture
7/21/09 5:46:43PM
two guys with suspect chins who are brawlers going at it. If the fight stay on the feet like a expect it too i see jardine winnning via late TKO or Decision. but always the chance Silva knocks him out or may ground and pound to a victory decision.

But i'm leaning toward Jardine in this one
Drudinh
7/22/09 4:04:20AM

Posted by nickcuc547

jardine by a hair, he makes the fight ugly enough to get the nod.

I agree it will be an ugly fight
Shadymlm
7/22/09 4:32:11AM
I'm sorry there's no way I can pick someone who lost to Houston Alexander over a Great fighter like Thiago Silva. Silva is one of the most well rounded fighters in the LHW division. IMO this fight is ending in the first round the second if Jardine is lucky but there is no way this fight make's it to the judges.
Irish_Pride
7/22/09 1:06:34PM
This is going to be a very interesting matchup. Jardine's weird fighting style may give Silva some trouble. I think I see this fight as an all out brawl. Jardine fights his style and Silva trying to figure out his style for the entire 15 minutes. I'm gonna go with Jardine by very close split decision.
chickmagnet
7/22/09 2:19:20PM

Posted by Shadymlm

Silva is one of the most well rounded fighters in the LHW division.

Not as well rounded as Machida
kaskd
7/22/09 4:38:30PM
I'm surprised at the Jardine support. Let's step back from the name and just look at the fighting styles. Jardine loves when he can be aggressive and his jerky style throws off counter punchers. Counter punchers like traditional fighters because it's easier to get their timing down and predict what's going to happen next. This is part of the reason why Jardine had so much success with the counter punchers, because they can't figure out his striking timing/angles and a whole range of other weirdness. Evans (one of Jardine's training partners) has said Jardine works best when he makes the first move and is moving forward.

Now let's look at Thiago. Thiago is the complete opposite of what Jardine wants to fight. Jardine has lost to chargers in Houston Alexander, Wanderlei Silva, and Stephan Bonnar (ok, cut me some slack). I don't agree with the Thiago has no power either. Maybe not as much as Alexander or Silva, but enough. The man hasn't been out of the first round in how long! That's gotta stand for something. Thiago is a head forward hands flying guy that just has to worry about the flash knockout. If Thiago gets dropped Jardine hasn't shown the ground game to deal with someone from ATT.

Do yourselves a favor and go put money on Thiago.
higdon10
7/23/09 2:07:43AM
Should be a fast paced brawl. And judging by both fighters questionable chins and respectable power it could be a early finish.
slapshot
7/24/09 6:14:17PM

Posted by Shadymlm

I'm sorry there's no way I can pick someone who lost to Houston Alexander over a Great fighter like Thiago Silva. Silva is one of the most well rounded fighters in the LHW division. IMO this fight is ending in the first round the second if Jardine is lucky but there is no way this fight make's it to the judges.

Id say Jardine has the more impressive record and career even with his losses he's fought a higher caliber of opponents. Won some, lost some, but at least he can say he fought fighters that were in the top ten, Thiago Silva cant claim that and really he is still very green.
mkiv9secsupra
7/24/09 9:08:24PM

Posted by Shadymlm
a Great fighter like Thiago Silva

i was under the impression a fighter had to beat someone in the top 10 to be great. Getting embarassed by the only top 10 he has fought isnt helping his case either.

Actually id be surprised if Thiago can even manage to take Jardine down where Thiago will only have is only advantage.

Liddell, Vera, Forrest > Mendes, Drwal, Alexander......