Karo Parisyan tests positive for painkillers after UFC 94

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Karo Parisyan tests positive for painkillers after UFC 94
Next Page »
Twenty20Dollars
2/10/09 3:18:56PM
linkage

Former number one welterweight contender, Karo Parisyan, has tested positive for several painkillers, including Hydrocodone, Hydromorphone and Oxymorphone, following his controversial split decision win over Dong Hyun “Stun Gun” Kim at UFC 94: “St. Pierre vs. Penn 2” at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada, on Jan. 31.

The Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) today passed along the results to MMAmania.com.

“The Heat” has recently battled a nervous disorder, as well as injuries, which forced him out of a match against Yoshiyuki Yoshida less than 24 hours before showtime back in September 2008.

More on this breaking news in a bit. The other fighters tested on the card all passed their respective screenings for illegal/banned substances.
gartface
2/10/09 3:44:53PM
motorboatensob
2/10/09 3:45:25PM
Another set back for him I want miss him if he gets the boot. He would be a great fighter to watch if he would learn how to finish.
gartface
2/10/09 3:47:54PM

Posted by motorboatensob

Another set back for him I want miss him if he gets the boot. He would be a great fighter to watch if he would learn how to finish.

I'm very disappointed...

I guess I'm the only one who enjoys watching him fight, despite his lack of finishes.

I'm very nervous about whether he'll get cut or not. God I hope not.
wapttn
2/10/09 3:49:52PM
it was obvious that the guy was not himself... i'd be interested in know what exactly's wrong with him.. panic attacks, anxiety, and now tons of pain killers? its not like he was over training lol

Anybody recall the contract he just signed with the ufc? like a 10 fight contract or something ridiculous like that? now if i remember correctly what he's tested positive for will probably get him suspended for a year?

so....

suspended for a year
poor training camps
never in shape
a shadow of what he used to be
not keeping up with a sport which is constantly evolving
only finished 1 fight since 2003
barely got past an entry level opponent

if you're gonna cut someone like fioravanti and clementi i dont know how this guy stays

StorminYourman
2/10/09 4:07:15PM
Let him fight Fitch next.
Instead of the dodging he has done previously .
Not bashing he has really turned down Fitch.
DCRage
2/10/09 4:13:53PM
Gotta be related to his depression, panic attacks, etc. Either way, safe to say we won't see him again for at least 6 months.
pv3Hpv3p
2/10/09 4:16:43PM
I guess I don't even see why some of the chemicals on Athletic commission lists are on there... There's things like "no ibuprofen" and stuff like this... I don't see how taking pain meds could enhance your ability to fight anyways, if anything they would make him more lathargic and unless he was on a bunch of pills during the fight itself (highly unlikely) they would almost have an adverse effect regarding pain tollerance... The drugs aren't illegal, so I don't really see the problem... Seems like Karo's got a lot of stuff going on outside the cage, I hope he can figure it all out and straighten himself out
Bowen50
2/10/09 4:29:16PM

Posted by StorminYourman

agreed. it would be nice to see the UFC punish Karo with Fitch.
Kpro
2/10/09 4:49:23PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

I don't see how taking pain meds could enhance your ability to fight anyways, if anything they would make him more lathargic

AC's don't care if it's a drug that can improve performance or worsen performance. If it worsens performance then it is a greater chance of a major injury; if it enhances performances it is an unfair advantage.

I disagree that someone with panic attacks can't take some xanax or valium before the fight though. I'd hate to see a medical condition knock a figher out of the sport simply because they're not allowed to take their doctor recommended medication.
DCRage
2/10/09 4:58:52PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

I guess I don't even see why some of the chemicals on Athletic commission lists are on there... There's things like "no ibuprofen" and stuff like this... I don't see how taking pain meds could enhance your ability to fight anyways, if anything they would make him more lathargic and unless he was on a bunch of pills during the fight itself (highly unlikely) they would almost have an adverse effect regarding pain tollerance... The drugs aren't illegal, so I don't really see the problem... Seems like Karo's got a lot of stuff going on outside the cage, I hope he can figure it all out and straighten himself out

It's possible the drugs could dull or block out the pain during fights, but also it's something that he could've been off for a couple weeks, or even a month or so, but traces of the drug may still have been in his system, which is not that uncommon in cases like this.
sparky
2/10/09 5:00:33PM
I find Karo to be a let day these days!!!
JBatch
2/10/09 5:18:04PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

I agree marijuana should be on the banned substance list but when Nick Diaz fought Gomi it cited that marijuana could dull his sense of pain allowing him to sustain more punishment or could lead to serious injury if he was too high to tap.

If that was the case then Karo should not be allowed to fight on true medicinal painkillers. i hope Karo can turn things around as much as he bugs me he is a great fighter and always has at least one spectacular judo throw a fight.
telnights
2/10/09 5:35:58PM
Well if they over turned the Diaz vs Gomi to a no contest this should be. Being on that many pain pills I'm shocked he was able to walk more less fight.
bls1919
2/10/09 5:37:48PM
These types of reports are so vague. Was he prescribed these meds? Doesn't say. If they were prescribed to him i don't see the problem. If not, well then he should be punished. That said , the demenior of the article suggested it was "illegally" taken but.......you see my point . Sorry for the rant
urbman
2/10/09 5:39:26PM

Posted by wapttn

it was obvious that the guy was not himself... i'd be interested in know what exactly's wrong with him.. panic attacks, anxiety, and now tons of pain killers? its not like he was over training lol

Anybody recall the contract he just signed with the ufc? like a 10 fight contract or something ridiculous like that? now if i remember correctly what he's tested positive for will probably get him suspended for a year?

so....

suspended for a year
poor training camps
never in shape
a shadow of what he used to be
not keeping up with a sport which is constantly evolving
only finished 1 fight since 2003
barely got past an entry level opponent

if you're gonna cut someone like fioravanti and clementi i dont know how this guy stays

I've never been a big fan of his, me personally I'd have rather seen them keep Clementi too.
Solidus
2/10/09 5:42:41PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

I guess I don't even see why some of the chemicals on Athletic commission lists are on there... There's things like "no ibuprofen" and stuff like this... I don't see how taking pain meds could enhance your ability to fight anyways

You also have to consider the subtle side effects of these drugs. Ibuprofen for instance thins the blood, not something you want going into a fight. Drugs that make you feel "lethargic" also increase your chance of injury as it's already been said, what if a guy takes a shot to the head and suffers a serious neck injury because his body wasnt able to mount a proper response to the torque from the blow?

It might seem like they go overboard with this stuff, but it's all there for a reason and probably put there by guys who know much more about the substances than we do.
lohmann
2/10/09 5:43:53PM

Hopefully Zuffa plays the part of sympathizer, because these drugs were probably prescribed by a doctor. I hope Parisyan finds his head. He's only 26, and at this age generally people are starting to peak.
prozacnation1978
2/10/09 5:55:20PM
i am not surprised he will be suspended for maybe 6 months
gartface
2/10/09 6:00:12PM
There's no reason in my eyes he should have been on oxycodone or dilaudid. They are the two strongest pain killers(to my knowledge) given to patients.

I wish he would get himself together, I just weep for what could have been.

Posted by Bowen50

Posted by StorminYourman

Not to take this off topic but can you provide a link with some sort of proof that Joe Silva offered the Fitch fight to Karo?
StorminYourman
2/10/09 6:11:52PM

Posted by gartface

There's no reason in my eyes he should have been on oxycodone or dilaudid. They are the two strongest pain killers(to my knowledge) given to patients.

Posted by Bowen50

Posted by StorminYourman

Not to take this off topic but can you provide a link with some sort of proof that Joe Silva offered the Fitch fight to Karo?

dodging in not so many words
gartface
2/10/09 6:17:07PM

Posted by StorminYourman

Posted by gartface

Posted by Bowen50

Posted by StorminYourman

dodging in not so many words

"“In my mind, if they offer me, I can’t say no,” Parisyan said on TAGG Radio. “There’s no way I’m going to say no if I get an offer. “"

This is ducking?
evan9eleven
2/10/09 6:18:06PM
I thought all he needed was some Kleenex.
ncordless
2/10/09 6:20:00PM
This could set up a great TUF season!

Get Karo, Nick Diaz, Ricco, and the rest together. Instead of putting them in the TUF house they could live in the Sober Living House. They could promote it as a cross between TUF and Celebrity Rehab!
DosBox
2/10/09 6:21:56PM

Posted by StorminYourman

I do not think Silva ever offered Karo the Fitch fight.
Here are Karo's words about the "ducking" situation:

"That is bullcrap, that is like, absurd, I have never been offered to fight Jon Fitch in my life. Joe Silva has never called me and said ‘Karo, would you fight Jon Fitch?' Jon Fitch is starting to get on my nerves with his camp. I'd like to say right now is, who in the hell is Jon Fitch? All of a sudden he's beaten Diego Sanchez that I lost to and that makes him mister tough guy, like he can challenge me and if I don't take the challenge that means I'm afraid? These guys were in there mom's stomach when Karo Parisyan was fighting in MMA…I'd like to clear this up with everybody, there is no way in my life I've ever ducked or dodged any opponent…"

Link

However, Karo did have this to say.. which by some would consider it as "ducking" Fitch (remember this was in 2007):

"I was never offered a fight (with) Jon Fitch ever," Parisyan said. "Right now, if I want a title shot, I can get a title shot right now -- seven months down the line. But I said, 'That's too much of a delay, and I'll get a lot of ring rust.'

"I don't want to wait for that long, so I'll get a fight in between for a more guaranteed win. Jon Fitch? I still think I can beat Jon Fitch. I think I have more tools to beat Jon Fitch. I have tremendous respect for him, but I still think I can beat him... but I need an easier fight than Jon Fitch so I can basically have a high percentage of beating (the opponent) and getting a title shot."

Link#2

Back on the topic, I highly doubt the UFC dumps Karo. I would think that he would serve his suspension like the other fighters have and return back in the UFC once his suspension is up (James Irvin, etc.).
Porch28
2/10/09 7:09:12PM
Does Kim get the win and if so does that mean I hit my parlay?
Porch28
2/10/09 7:13:19PM

Posted by telnights

Well if they over turned the Diaz vs Gomi to a no contest this should be. Being on that many pain pills I'm shocked he was able to walk more less fight.

It also explains the mouthpiece constantly falling out
DCRage
2/10/09 7:40:29PM

Posted by Porch28

Does Kim get the win and if so does that mean I hit my parlay?

No and No. It'll be like Diaz-Gomi: The NSAC can and would only change the outcome from Parisyan win to No Contest. That means it's thrown out and treated like it never happened.
Chrrowley
2/10/09 9:02:29PM
Panic disorder is an anxiety disorder, not a "nervous" disorder
4u2nv
2/10/09 9:08:52PM
i think this is the start of the end for Karo honestly...
Pages: [1] 2