Karo's mouthpiece

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Karo's mouthpiece
punkstrings
2/1/09 5:08:29PM
hey guys,

has anyone heard what was up with Karo's mouthpiece falling out during the fight?

Was he having trouble breathing?

Did he forget his regular mouthpiece?

If it hinders your breathing, it affects how you perform. I just wanna know what was up.
Aether
2/1/09 5:21:25PM
I think he was just exhausted and letting it fall out.

It's not really that it hinders your breathing, it's just that when you get really tired you are more likely to breathe with your mouth wide open, leaving your jaw unclenched, so it's more likely to fall out. It should still be pretty secure, but if you get bumped with your mouth open looking down at the floor it can knock it out pretty easily.
tmas
2/1/09 5:45:22PM
No Joe Rogan said he thought it was a cheap boil/bite mouth peice you can buy from the store not a professionaly molded mouthpiece. A pro (dentist molded) mouthpiece will not fall out you would have to spit that **** out your mouth and Karo's kept falling i saw him as early as the first few min trying to hold that sucker in there sucking it in trying to get it to stay thats what happens with boil/bite mouthpieces they never quite fit pefrectly and fall out often. Almost every amatuer fight i see someone loses a mouth piece like that.

Im not sure if Karo lost his real mouthpiece, forgot it with the panic/anxiety problems or what but it was definatly not a quality mouthpiece.
prozacnation1978
2/1/09 6:53:28PM
it looked like it didn't fit him at all
Aether
2/1/09 7:32:01PM
I should've been more clear. He didn't have his regular mouthpiece, I thought Joe said that during the fight, I was just clarifying the part about it obstructing breathing. It doesn't really, he was just breathing with his mouth open and letting it fall out.
Cdellorso
2/1/09 9:10:44PM
I defended Karo in some Karo bash party the other day-
Its your big chance to make a comeback and at some point you realize you dont have a mouth piece that fits... uhhh the 3 dollar walmart mouth pieces can be boiled and they do stay in a hell of a lot better than that. it looked as though he was able to move it on and off with his tongue.

He was so lucky to pull off that decision Kim did not do much either but seemed way more in control than Karo.
Amigop
2/1/09 10:21:02PM
the mouth piece was prolly causing him to panick and feel like he couldnt breathe
PunishmentFan
2/2/09 9:11:53AM
i remember someone posting alink on here somewhere he sounded like he was sick and couldnt breath through the nose..so maybe he was trying to breathe from his mouth lol iunno
gartface
2/2/09 9:13:36AM

Posted by Amigop

the mouth piece was prolly causing him to panick and feel like he couldnt breathe

That's a pretty mean joke bro.
4u2nv
2/2/09 11:46:14AM
idk about that whole mouth peice thing. looked to me like he needed a break but he couldnt hold it in either. It was def make it or break it for him and i think a split des like that is still a break it for him. I can see him and Manny going yet i like them both.
gartface
2/2/09 12:26:44PM

Posted by 4u2nv

idk about that whole mouth peice thing. looked to me like he needed a break but he couldnt hold it in either. It was def make it or break it for him and i think a split des like that is still a break it for him. I can see him and Manny going yet i like them both.

I completely disagree. Like Greg Jackson was saying in the corner after the first round, he said "That's your first victory" after Karo had clearly lost the first round, badly I might add. Even if he had lost, it was a "make it" as you put it, for him. He's back in the octagon, and is competitive.

I'm very interested to see how he does once he actually does have a training camp with Jackson, and all of the boys.
bls1919
2/2/09 6:42:05PM
Karo had problems with his mouth piece. That is the least of his worries. He needs to get his head straight and come back like the old Karo or not at all. He is going to get hurt fighting like that.
jiujitsufreak74
2/3/09 12:15:36AM
he was sick and couldn't breathe out of his nose. that coupled with the fact he was gassing cause him to spit out his mouthpiece in a n attempt to actually get some oxygen in his blood.