being a karo fan its hard to say...

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » being a karo fan its hard to say...
MFOTHER
1/29/09 8:38:58PM
but im not 100% on him taking this fight...... when i heard he had a new strength and cond trainer, and that he was with jackson's camp now, i thought it was an easy pick......but read this article, says he only trained with his coach 11 times. (yes he said they were hell, but still, even he admitted he started training a bit late)

Also i guess he is only with jacksons camp on paper.
he said he talked to him on the phone, but didnt get a chance to train in new mexico with jackson or anyone from the camp..........

i really want karo to be back, and demolish stun gun... but at this point im just not sure

link to article

i still will prolly pick him just because ive been a fan of his for years.... judo thow to far side kimura leaving stun gun looking for help wiping his ass for the next few weeks
Twenty20Dollars
1/29/09 11:13:40PM
I know that seems bad, but nothing really tells me that Kim is going to get the win over a tough veteran like Karo.

A split decision win over Matt Brown.

Karo has admitted to not training in past fights and he still got the wins.
lohmann
1/29/09 11:31:36PM
Besides the main event, this is the hardest fight on the card for me to pick. In addition to his questionable mental toughness, Parisyan's had general trouble with guys that have similar styles to Kim before, but those guys are just generally great fighters (Sherk, St. Pierre, Sanchez).

I'll probably end up picking Parisyan for the W but lay some money on Kim at pretty good odds.
gartface
1/30/09 12:03:35AM

Posted by lohmann

Besides the main event, this is the hardest fight on the card for me to pick. In addition to his questionable mental toughness, Parisyan's had general trouble with guys that have similar styles to Kim before, but those guys are just generally great fighters (Sherk, St. Pierre, Sanchez).

I'll probably end up picking Parisyan for the W but lay some money on Kim at pretty good odds.

How are any of those fighters similar to Kim? That makes no sense, none of them are boxers or judo players.
lohmann
1/30/09 12:08:49AM

Posted by gartface

Posted by lohmann

How are any of those fighters similar to Kim? That makes no sense, none of them are boxers or judo players.

Like those fighters, he has a good chance of putting Karo on his back.
gartface
1/30/09 12:13:52AM

Posted by lohmann

Posted by gartface

Posted by lohmann

How? If anything Karo will take him down. How exactly could Kim get Karo on his back, I'm interested to hear...
lohmann
1/30/09 12:29:37AM

Posted by gartface

Posted by lohmann

Posted by gartface

Posted by lohmann

How? If anything Karo will take him down. How exactly could Kim get Karo on his back, I'm interested to hear...

Obviously, Karo has a great chance of taking down Kim. But Kim has a chance to take him down: Parisyan is coming off a back injury, which could effect his ability to succeed in taking down Kim and keeping him down. I don't trust his conditioning either, and later in the fight that may advantage Kim in returning the judo throws and taking down Parisyan just like Parisyan probably will take him down early in the fight. Or maybe in just warding off Parisyan's takedown attempts and keeping it standing to notch a KO victory.

Like I said, Idk. It's really a tough fight for me to pick.
gartface
1/30/09 12:41:33AM

Posted by lohmann

Obviously, Karo has a great chance of taking down Kim. But Kim has a chance to take him down: Parisyan is coming off a back injury, which could effect his ability to succeed in taking down Kim and keeping him down. I don't trust his conditioning either, and later in the fight that may advantage Kim in returning the judo throws and taking down Parisyan just like Parisyan probably will take him down early in the fight. Or maybe in just warding off Parisyan's takedown attempts and keeping it standing to notch a KO victory.

What cardio problem? He gassed out against Diego and still almost won the fight. He doesn't really gas anymore. As for Kim, the guy gassed hard in the fight with Matt Brown and almost lost.
lohmann
1/30/09 12:52:07AM

Posted by gartface

Posted by lohmann

What cardio problem? He gassed out against Diego and still almost won the fight. He doesn't really gas anymore. As for Kim, the guy gassed hard in the fight with Matt Brown and almost lost.

Wrong forum, I know, but seems right: How about a week-long av bet?
gartface
1/30/09 12:53:46AM
With pleasure. Terms?
lohmann
1/30/09 12:57:27AM

Posted by gartface

With pleasure. Terms?

Unfortunate, because I'll still probably pick Parisyan to win (which is why I chose a short av bet).

I'm not an avatar-maker, so just use something Kim-related if Kim wins? If you wanna custom-make a Karo av, I'll use it for a week if Karo wins?
gartface
1/30/09 1:00:43AM

Posted by lohmann

Posted by gartface

With pleasure. Terms?

Unfortunate, because I'll still probably pick Parisyan to win (which is why I chose a short av bet).

I'm not an avatar-maker, so just use something Kim-related if Kim wins? If you wanna custom-make a Karo av, I'll use it for a week if Karo wins?

Sounds good.
Twenty20Dollars
1/30/09 1:20:06AM
Bringing the heat.
theguido
1/30/09 12:22:12PM
Is this fight still on?
Franklinfan47
1/30/09 1:38:28PM
Have faith in Karo!!
gartface
1/30/09 2:16:47PM

Posted by theguido

Is this fight still on?

Just because MMAmania spouts some rumors and speculation, doesn't mean this fight is off.
prozacnation1978
1/30/09 6:58:10PM
his panic attacks do worry me and the fact he might not even fight who knows even if he doesn't they will add the fitch fight instead win/win situation
rabbit915
1/31/09 12:34:19PM
I said this in my camp forums but ill repeat the idea here.

I think the UFC is setting up Karo to lose. First he was suppossed to fight Yoshida and now they give him Kim. What are the chances of getting two Asian fighters in a row? There are so few Asian fighters in the UFC that its incredibly unlikely.

This is significant because Asian fighters will know how to counter Judo. If youve fought on the lower rungs of the Asian fight scene youve run into guys that know Judo. If you arent a Judoka yourself, there are definately guys in your camp that are. Its a style that they will definately be ready for. I cant say the same for most American fighters. Its just not something that you expect to come up against at lower levels of the American fight scene.

So in a nutshell, I think the UFC is looking to cut Karo and looking for an excuse to do so, namely having him lose to an up and comer in a relatively big upset.

Still not sure if im going to pick that way though.
gartface
1/31/09 12:36:58PM

Posted by rabbit915

I said this in my camp forums but ill repeat the idea here.

I think the UFC is setting up Karo to lose. First he was suppossed to fight Yoshida and now they give him Kim. What are the chances of getting two Asian fighters in a row? There are so few Asian fighters in the UFC that its incredibly unlikely.

This is significant because Asian fighters will know how to counter Judo. If youve fought on the lower rungs of the Asian fight scene youve run into guys that know Judo. If you arent a Judoka yourself, there are definately guys in your camp that are. Its a style that they will definately be ready for. I cant say the same for most American fighters. Its just not something that you expect to come up against at lower levels of the American fight scene.

So in a nutshell, I think the UFC is looking to cut Karo and looking for an excuse to do so, namely having him lose to an up and comer in a relatively big upset.

Still not sure if im going to pick that way though.

Well thought out conspiracy theory, but why would they have just signed him to an 8 fight extension a few days after his back out of the Yoshida fight?
rabbit915
1/31/09 1:18:36PM
Its not really a conspiracy theory. The UFC does have an agenda when they book fights. Im not accusing them of tampering with the fights or anything unethical but there are fights where they want a guy to win or lose and they book an opponnent accordingly.

I almost said i wish i could see the details of his contract to add more evidence but you may have countered my arguement. Eight fights is a lot though. That doesnt seem right to me.
jiujitsufreak74
1/31/09 1:23:26PM

Posted by rabbit915

Its not really a conspiracy theory. The UFC does have an agenda when they book fights. Im not accusing them of tampering with the fights or anything unethical but there are fights where they want a guy to win or lose and they book an opponnent accordingly.

I almost said i wish i could see the details of his contract to add more evidence but you may have countered my arguement. Eight fights is a lot though. That doesnt seem right to me.

i see what you are getting at, and i wouldn't put it past Dana to try and make matchups to try and manipulate the division, but this is a match up where Karo is favored imo. Karo uses wrestling a lot more than he uses his Judo. he should be able to use his wrestling here to control Kim because even if Kim's Judo is better, wrestling is more important for control over your opponent, and in that department Karo takes it by a mile.
copcopps
1/31/09 1:32:56PM
OK at the weigh-ins Karo looked very unmotivated IMO, and I'm sticking with Kim on this one because of that
Ulfhethnar6
1/31/09 1:36:59PM
I just can't decide to leave Karo on my parlay bet or not. Tough decision.
gartface
1/31/09 4:49:52PM

Posted by copcopps

OK at the weigh-ins Karo looked very unmotivated IMO, and I'm sticking with Kim on this one because of that

Never seen him at a weigh-in, or before a fight?
Wolfenstein
1/31/09 6:39:48PM
I hope Karo takes this one, but he does seem very unprepared. The way Karo is talking you would believe he's had only 12 conditioning sessions in preparation for this fight. I just don't believe he's been sitting home eating milk duds. There are plenty of places to train in North Hollywood so I'm assuming he's still putting in some time over at Gokor & Gene Lebell's Hayastan.

Just on pure ability Karo should win--maybe win the first two rounds--and lose the third. As long as Karo can keep top position he should have it locked up. If he gets put on his back though, Kim has absolutely vicious GnP and could overwhelm Karo.

I doubt there will be much Judo involved in this matchup...which is disheartening for me...but we'll probably see Karo using a body lock and working for his trademark kimura, mixed in with some elbows.

I think it's crazy that nearly every site has given the advantage in Judo to Yoshida and Kim. He's a six time Junior National champ, and has gone to the qualifier for the Olympics. He's probably been the most succesful at adapting his Judo to MMA as well...obviously Judo is a much bigger sport in Asia--but I really don't think there's that big a gap between them.
GSPCanada
1/31/09 7:17:34PM
Yoshida and Kim could very well be better judo guys than Karo (I really dont know) but its not even the judo that matters or even the wrestling its the judo without the gi, karos mastered it and i dont know about kim Kim might be able to stand with karo looking at the weighs ins and the reach diff. I personally thought (still kind of do) that karo has been workin out non-stop, i always believed he worked at it but not to his full potential, alot of bad things have been said for karo for some reason, things like him not really being injured against yoshida are just speculation with no backing and have no warrant.

but I was unimpressed when I saw him at the weighins I was expecting Karo to maybe look a little more ripped and look more athletic just as a sign of how hard hes workin doesnt look so...but hes been pretty good without it so we will see in a few hours
copcopps
1/31/09 8:50:05PM

Posted by gartface

Posted by copcopps

Never seen him at a weigh-in, or before a fight?

He had his head down and wasn't really smiling, that's a sign of low confidence