Karl Pilkington

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Karl Pilkington
Aether
7/24/12 7:05:31PM
I'm on a mission to spread the word about Karl Pilkington. More people probably know about him now that the podcasts are being aired on HBO as "The Ricky Gervais Show" and "Idiot Abroad". I can't imagine anyone not finding him hilarious, any time I'm in a bad mood, I just listen to Karl Pilkington speak for a few minutes and I'll be laughing hysterically.

He's basically just a really, really stupid person who gets easily confused and says a lot of incredibly stupid things. He's sort of like a real-life version of Homer Simpson. He has his own show now, but he started out on a radio show with Ricky Gervais and Steve Merchant, the guys who made "The Office". They basically just ask him questions and then ridicule him when he says stupid things, which is every time he opens his mouth.

Listen and laugh:

10 Stupidest things Karl has ever said

Mammoths?

An Introduction to Karl Pilkington

The third link is an entire episode, but I linked to the question and answer that is probably my favourite Karl Pilkington moment of all time. They ask him how old he is and he gets really confused.

There are hundreds of hours of radio shows, podcasts, and television shows with Karl in them, and he's never boring.
pmoney
7/24/12 7:56:39PM
Pretty funny stuff. Although I wouldn't ridicule him for questioning the theory that infinite typewriters+infinite monkeys=complete works of Shakespeare. I would like to know who came up with that theory and ask them if that's based on any factual data, or just trying to be cute.
babalu46
7/24/12 8:28:41PM
Karl's invention

Absolute gold and it is genuine!
Aether
7/25/12 12:13:57AM

Posted by pmoney

Pretty funny stuff. Although I wouldn't ridicule him for questioning the theory that infinite typewriters+infinite monkeys=complete works of Shakespeare. I would like to know who came up with that theory and ask them if that's based on any factual data, or just trying to be cute.

It's accurate. It's a classical math problem. It's just the nature of infinity + random input automatically equals all possibilities. It's not actually a 100% certainty, because there's some minuscule probability that they just type some sequence of incorrect letters an infinite amount of times, but as you approach infinity, that probability would "tend toward zero" if you're familiar with the notion of limits in calculus. Alternately, the chances of the monkeys typing any given finite sub-set of possibilities tends toward 1.

the real probability of producing X given random input over an infinite amount of repetitions should be 0.999.... (repeating) which is mathematically equivalent to 1, or 100% chance.
Aether
7/25/12 12:20:48AM
The thing is though, it's not that they're making fun of him just for questioning it, they're making fun of the questions he's asking. He takes everything 100% literally, he can't understand analogies, so he comes up with the craziest counter-arguments that make no sense.
tcunningham
7/25/12 12:51:08AM
ive watched the ricky gervais show on HBO a few times as well as "An Idiot Abroad" and i cant help but wonder if its all an act. he's figured out how to use stupidity to make millions and exploited it. its funny, but im just not convinced he's for real
Aether
7/25/12 1:01:27AM
He's for real. If you go back to their radio show, which started before Gervais was really famous, you can see that Karl was never intended to be part of the show, he was their producer for the radio show, and over the course of the first season they slowly realized that every time he opened his mouth he produced solid gold.

Also, just the fact that I've watched and seen literally hundreds of hours of this guy and never once has he even come slightly out of character. The things he says are just too consistently shocking and unpredictable. His stories are always consistent, too. Like he'll remember things about his past, talk about old friends he had, things like that, and there's never any inconsistencies.

Unless they sat down and wrote literally hundreds of hours of material, developed an entire consistent back-story, and found an actor with no prior experience who has never been in any other production to execute all of the material perfectly without ever being caught out of character over a period of over a decade, there's just no way that he's a character. It's all too consistent, and there's literally hundreds of hours of footage of him, in interviews, on the radio, on tv, in outtakes, etc.
FlashyG
7/25/12 1:59:05AM
I love the Ricky Gervais show.

I don't know if its in these links but my favorite Pilkington moment was when he told the guys he has his TV in front of a full wall mirror so that when he's watching TV with his wife he doesn't have to turn his head to talk to her.
Aether
7/25/12 2:01:11AM

Posted by FlashyG

I don't know if its in these links but my favorite Pilkington moment was when he told the guys he has his TV in front of a full wall mirror so that when he's watching TV with his wife he doesn't have to turn his head to talk to her.

And when the place is a mess, it's a mess twice. lol.

Stephen Hawking would be well happy in there.
kopower
7/25/12 4:31:31PM
Never heard of him before. Pretty funny stuff. I stumbled upon this. Had a few good laughs

Karl Meets Warwick Davis
MMAcca
7/25/12 4:41:30PM

Posted by Aether

He's for real. If you go back to their radio show, which started before Gervais was really famous, you can see that Karl was never intended to be part of the show, he was their producer for the radio show

I can vouch for this too. I've followed Ricky Gervais' career ever since he was appearing on the '10 o'clock show' on channel 4 (before The Office) and the discovery of Karl Pilkington was deinitely an accident.

Love that too FlashyG....

Posted by FlashyG

I loved it on 'Idiot Abroad' where he did the bungee jump from 4 feet in the air
cowcatcher
7/25/12 5:53:04PM
I think we've talked about Karl before Aether, and I find the guy hilarious too. I really have only seen him on An Idiot Abroad and a couple of links you sent me on Ricky's show. They must pay him a shit ton of money to do An Idiot Abroad because he seems genuinely miserable no matter where he goes and I can't believe they can keep getting him to do it without a lot of incentive. I wonder if he really knows how funny he is to the rest of us, but I have my doubts that he's able to grasp it.
babalu46
7/25/12 6:24:05PM

Posted by kopower

Never heard of him before. Pretty funny stuff. I stumbled upon this. Had a few good laughs

Karl Meets Warwick Davis

He's going to be in a new tv series with Warwick called "The Short Way Round" where they travel around the UK in a bike and sidecar, kind of taking the piss out of that Ewan McGregor thing The Long Way Round.
Aether
7/25/12 9:41:52PM

Posted by babalu46

Posted by kopower

Karl Meets Warwick Davis

He's going to be in a new tv series with Warwick called "The Short Way Round" where they travel around the UK in a bike and sidecar, kind of taking the piss out of that Ewan McGregor thing The Long Way Round.

Yeah, I can't wait for this.

I have an unhealthy obsession with Karl, I'm pretty sure I've seen/heard just about every piece of media on the internet with Karl in it.
Aether
7/25/12 9:46:31PM

Posted by cowcatcher

I think we've talked about Karl before Aether, and I find the guy hilarious too. I really have only seen him on An Idiot Abroad and a couple of links you sent me on Ricky's show. They must pay him a shit ton of money to do An Idiot Abroad because he seems genuinely miserable no matter where he goes and I can't believe they can keep getting him to do it without a lot of incentive. I wonder if he really knows how funny he is to the rest of us, but I have my doubts that he's able to grasp it.

It's got to be the money, because he clearly hates doing the show, and after the first season he did a bunch of interviews where he refused pretty adamantly that he wouldn't do another season. The first season ended up being the most watched programme that the station has has in years, so they must have shovelled a pile of money at him for the second season.