Karate in MMA - is it me or does the great karate strikers enjoy more success than muay thai strikers?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Karate in MMA - is it me or does the great karate strikers enjoy more success than muay thai strikers?
ufc88
12/31/07 11:06:35PM
look at chuck, GSP, and Machida.. they are very difficult opponents to strike with for any muay thai fighter..
If Karate is properly implemented into MMa, is it more effective than muay thai?
your thoughts...

Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1 Photo Attachment 2 Photo Attachment 3
Bemin
12/31/07 11:56:28PM
I think its more the athlete than the base art, I'd have to say that Anderson Silva does pretty well with his Muay Thai.
tuvok500
1/1/08 1:00:16AM

Posted by Bemin

I think its more the athlete than the base art, I'd have to say that Anderson Silva does pretty well with his Muay Thai.

also, muay thai are not only clinching and knee, it is also striking and kick to the leg etc.. so a KO by kick to the head is not automaticaly a karate move !!

ufc88
1/1/08 2:23:26AM
of course muay thai is not just elbows and knees and clinching its the points of contact including fists and feet im just saying karate is often more illusive you don't set up the same movement in a kick as you do in muay thai. and karate seems to be a less amount of punches/kicks thrown in the combinations they move out after they connect unless they really hurt them

TimW001
1/1/08 4:07:18AM
I think if you start in a sport like karate at a younger age, it allows you to learn more things. So when you become like 14 or something you can learn boxing or muay thai really easy.

Because all the best Karate guys in MMA started young.
jomatty
1/1/08 6:56:10AM
for mma i think muay thai is a better overall system but like another poster said it really comes down to the athlete. both have great kicks but muay thai has a decided advantage when it comes to low kicks and the clinch game. imo there is no striking art that is better at systematically breaking down an opponent...
Mastodon2
1/1/08 7:32:22AM
As soon as I see something that looks like Muay Thai, and not a style that appears to have just borrowed some MT techniques used in the Octagon I'll get back to you

EDIT: It should be noted that imo Muay Thai is the best. Even Karate fighters in K-1 try to take Muay Thai techniques, just look at Schilt and Feitosa with their knees.

There is no system of striking that will break down opponents as quickly and ruthlessly as Muay Thai. Karate and all the others have their strong points and useful aspects, but Muay Thai sharpens every weapon weapon the body has until you can land a finishing strike, at any time, with any of your 8 limbs.
AchillesHeel
1/1/08 10:21:42AM

Posted by ufc88

look at chuck, GSP, and Machida.. they are very difficult opponents to strike with for any muay thai fighter..

Liddell, GSP, and Machida are difficult opponents for anybody. Besides, Chuck lost to the first two good strikers he'd fought in years.

Posted by ufc88

If Karate is properly implemented into MMa, is it more effective than muay thai?

I see no reason to think so.
1/1/08 10:48:56AM
Very few people in MMA that are Muay Thai strikers, use actual Muay thai. Alot of the people that use it, use a modified version of it. If an actual Guy from Thailand with over 50 fights came into MMA and his opponet tried to stand with him it wouldn't last very long.
fullerene
1/1/08 11:49:52AM
There are probably 10 guys who studied karate for every one who claims to be a karate fighter. It's not surprising that this very popular martial art was a feeder style for MMA. But the reality is that most of them were forced to study the boxing/MT derivative that's popular in MMA to be succesful.

StriderXero
1/1/08 10:01:56PM
I feel karate gives you good balance. Muay thai gives you the most options in striking. I think this is the reason karate guys use muay thai techniques. Both arts are great to practice.
Mastodon2
1/2/08 8:14:43AM
I urge everyone to go to youtube, and look up some real Muay Thai fights, you will see that real Muay Thai is vastly different from the "great Muay Thai" we hear Joe Rogan gassing on about at every UFC event.

The stance is different, the pace is different, the flow of striking is different, there is a much greater diversity in strikes, they clinch properly and when nessacary and not just when they are near the ropes, you will see a properly executed teep kick (not like that god-awful, off balance, telegraphed weak kick from Chuck that Goldberg called a "Teep kick" the other night), in short, if you have never watched a real Muay Thai bout before, you will see things you have never seen before, not even from MMA fighters, even "Muay Thai" based ones like Anderson and Wanderlei Silva, or Shogun, and not even in K-1, since elbows and unlimited clinching are not allowed in K-1.

1/2/08 11:32:38AM

Posted by Mastodon2

I urge everyone to go to youtube, and look up some real Muay Thai fights, you will see that real Muay Thai is vastly different from the "great Muay Thai" we hear Joe Rogan gassing on about at every UFC event.

The stance is different, the pace is different, the flow of striking is different, there is a much greater diversity in strikes, they clinch properly and when nessacary and not just when they are near the ropes, you will see a properly executed teep kick (not like that god-awful, off balance, telegraphed weak kick from Chuck that Goldberg called a "Teep kick" the other night), in short, if you have never watched a real Muay Thai bout before, you will see things you have never seen before, not even from MMA fighters, even "Muay Thai" based ones like Anderson and Wanderlei Silva, or Shogun, and not even in K-1, since elbows and unlimited clinching are not allowed in K-1.

I completely agree i think if Fighters from Thai Lamd came over and fought in MMA no one could stand with them. Wanderlei is one of my fav. fighters, but i can tell that he dosn't use true muay thai. Anderson and Thiago Alves have actually competed in Muay Tahi fights, so those two probably have the closest thing to real Muay thai in MMA.
cmill21
1/2/08 12:51:02PM
Cro Cop is pretty close to 100% kickboxing, and he's done fairly well. I think now he will need to encorperate some more knee strikes into his game, to deter people like Kongo from holding him against the cage all match. Right now K-1 is doing well again and paying there fighters better so it's tough to say. Maybe we'll see another K-1 vs. whatever, but I'd wager guys like Buakaw would do better then guys like Feitosa. I honestly don't know enough about shotakan or kyokashin to say they are better or worse then kickboxing or Muay Thai but because of the lack of "true" kickboxers thai's and even karate practitioners it's hard to say. Machida is a good fighter, but I think if you had true practitioners like Buakaw, Kannorsing, Ignashov or other MT's and kickboxers you'd see that there equally if not more effective then Karate.