Kampmann versus Story on tap for UFC 139

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Kampmann versus Story on tap for UFC 139
emfleek
8/17/11 10:37:47AM
A bout between welterweight contenders who are looking to get back in the win column is in the works for UFC 139.

UFC officials today announced Martin Kampmann (17-5 MMA, 8-4 UFC) and Rick Story (13-4 MMA, 6-2 UFC) have agreed to meet at the Nov. 19 event.

UFC 139 takes place in San Jose, Calif., likely at the HP Pavilion.

The night's main card, including an expected heavyweight title fight between champion Cain Velasquez and top contender Junior Dos Santos, airs on pay-per-view. Kampmann vs. Story likely will be part of the PPV broadcast or an expected "UFC Prelims" special on Spike TV.

Both fighters are coming off high-profile losses.

LINK
jjeans
8/17/11 10:46:04AM

Posted by emfleek

Kampmann's been coming off high profile losses even when he should have had a high profile win! Shields and Diego....
Chael_Sonnen
8/17/11 10:53:09AM

Posted by jjeans

Posted by emfleek

Kampmann's been coming off high profile losses even when he should have had a high profile win! Shields and Diego....

He beat Diego but lost to Shields (no controversy)

Sadly, I see the Story fight playing out similar to the boring Shields fiasco.
Theoutlaw08
8/17/11 11:39:51AM
I think Kampmann brings it. I think he finally realizes he lost his last two and he needs a win bad..... with that said Story may try to grind him out. My predictions would go 1st Round - Kampmann peppers Story, 2nd Round - Story gets a takedown and Kampmann catches him with a sub by the end of the round.
pmoney
8/17/11 1:27:53PM

Posted by jjeans

Posted by emfleek

Kampmann should be on a multiple fight winning streak; I feel he beat both Sanchez and Shields handily. Most people I have spoken with feel the same way. But I suppose that's a topic for another thread....

This is a tough fight for The Hitman. Story is going to be hungry coming off of his loss to Brenneman. Kampmann should have a fire under his ass, and I feel be even more motivated than Story. He has to win this fight, and somehow convince the judges he did as well. Or get the finish.
prophecy033
8/17/11 1:47:10PM
He hasn't had the best luck with the judges, to get past that he needs a finish. I think he will get one but it won't be easy. He needs to work his angles cuz story is a gamer and will be dangerous
hashyandy4
8/17/11 1:59:24PM
I really like this match making, seems to make a lot of sense both ways. As of rite now im leaning toward The Dane
Twenty20Dollars
8/17/11 2:26:05PM
No love for Kampmann, hate to see a guy that like get a on a possible losing streak like that.

Almost same for Story, two in a row.

Should be a good fight, when it's standing.
kingsmasher
8/17/11 3:12:33PM

Posted by Theoutlaw08

I think Kampmann brings it. I think he finally realizes he lost his last two and he needs a win bad..... with that said Story may try to grind him out. My predictions would go 1st Round - Kampmann peppers Story, 2nd Round - Story gets a takedown and Kampmann catches him with a sub by the end of the round.

I dont think Kampmann is strong enough to sub Story unless he is rocked but that wont happen cause Story has an Iron chin...Story might KO kampmann cause he aint afraid to trade...
calitrees
8/17/11 3:29:49PM
Story will ko an overly agressive kampmann. Too much power and he will be able to dictate where the fight goes. Martin lost to Sheilds too for good measue.
Bubbles
8/17/11 3:56:14PM
Kampmann in no way beat Shields. he did beat Sanchez however. either way Story by 3rd round TKO
prozacnation1978
8/17/11 4:36:34PM
Daley koed him
And sanchez and marquadt overwelmed him going toe to toe slugging it out
Story will try to get the knockout or just make it into a grapple wrestling contest
isk
8/17/11 5:29:53PM
Here's the thing about Martin Kampmann - he hasn't been overly aggressive on the feet since the Daley fight. He learned - expressing this both in interviews and in his immediate fight after vs Paulo Thiago - that despite his toughness, he needs to be smart. He does have a good chin, but his technical style and lack of top end power means he needs to rely more on head movement and precise counters.

And he is very good on the ground. Not necessarily against wrestlers, but he's got a nice BJJ game. Since then, his issue has been more about stopping the takedown or relying too much on his guard (see Miguel Torres, Nate Diaz, Josh Neer, and other grapplers with fantastic chins who can lose on points to wrestlers).

It's interesting in that Kampmann's fighting an historically powerful puncher and wrestler in Story who's coming off a loss in which he himself was outwrestled. Frankly I think Brenneman showed an inspired level of hustle in the takedowns but has much room for improvement when it comes to both GnP and grappling control. Ben Henderson proved this past Sunday that all of these are possible - it takes phenomenal talent and work ethic to build them, but you can do them all against extremely durable and skilled grapplers. Anyhow, this is more about Story and whether that wrestling loss convinces him that he can't fight everyone straight up.

If the fight is on the feet, I like Kampmann. I trust that he's continued to refine his stick-and-move strategy. It's worked very well since he focused on it and in the times in which he was able to keep the fight standing. Plus, everyone knows by now that Story can hang on the feet but has some holes. Crushing power, awesome chin, but not the most accurate or technical striker ever. Plus he tends to plant his feet and swing away instead of stepping into his punches for extra range. Since his arms aren't exactly the longest, and Kampmann has some reach on him, he might get jabbed and straight right'ed to death to a 30-27 Kampmann UD.

If it goes to the ground, I think it'll be because Story chooses to do so and I think he controls the fight from there. He has very determined takedowns with decent timing and explosiveness, and his GnP is up there in power with the best at welterweight. If he comes out hungry and aggressive he could very well pound out Kampmann or pick up the UD himself.

So, the questions to me are -

-Does Story stick with standup, or does he focus on the takedown?
-Does Kampmann continue to fight intelligently on the feet, and if Story shoots in, can he stuff it?

This is kind of a watershed fight for both fighters that may determine not only their respective careers in the UFC but their MMA careers on the whole. Looking forward to it.
Pookie
8/17/11 6:01:49PM
Fantastic Analysis, but i am pretty sure Kampmann doesn't have a reach advantage.

He's 6'1" with a 71" reach. Thats about 2 inches shorter than what is average for his height. And about 3 inches shorter than what's average for a fighter of his height.

Edit - I looked it up, and though im not sure of the reliability of it, Story is listed at 71" as well
Sir_Karl
8/17/11 6:48:34PM
Great fight. The bad thing is I am a fan of both fighters. One of them has to lose. I am exited to see this one though. I hope it is a draw!!!!!
Wallass
8/17/11 7:15:46PM
Kampmann will show just how overrated Story is.
isk
8/17/11 8:05:39PM

Posted by Pookie

Fantastic Analysis, but i am pretty sure Kampmann doesn't have a reach advantage.

He's 6'1" with a 71" reach. Thats about 2 inches shorter than what is average for his height. And about 3 inches shorter than what's average for a fighter of his height.

Edit - I looked it up, and though im not sure of the reliability of it, Story is listed at 71" as well

Yeah, it's worth seeing how reach plays out in the fight. Story tends to stay in the pocket with hooks whereas Kampmann is more of the Dutch kickboxing style with lots of kicks and straight punches that emphasize range.

Like you kind of said about reliability - there's listed reach, and then there's practical reach.
Cooler
8/17/11 8:10:15PM

Posted by jjeans

Posted by emfleek

All Martin did was defend the whole time against Shields, he didnt land anything effective and lost due to his lack of killer instinct like he did in the Diego fight, except the Diego fight was actually close.
grappler0000
8/18/11 3:03:17AM

Posted by Cooler

Posted by jjeans

Posted by emfleek

All Martin did was defend the whole time against Shields, he didnt land anything effective and lost due to his lack of killer instinct like he did in the Diego fight, except the Diego fight was actually close.

Significant strikes were 2:1 in favor of Kampman in the 2nd and 3:1 in the 3rd. He also had 3 submission attempts, where Shields had none.
Budgellism
8/18/11 11:35:31AM

Posted by pmoney

Posted by jjeans

Posted by emfleek

Kampmann should be on a multiple fight winning streak; I feel he beat both Sanchez and Shields handily. Most people I have spoken with feel the same way. But I suppose that's a topic for another thread....

This is a tough fight for The Hitman. Story is going to be hungry coming off of his loss to Brenneman. Kampmann should have a fire under his ass, and I feel be even more motivated than Story. He has to win this fight, and somehow convince the judges he did as well. Or get the finish.

I've gotta agree. I believe Kampmann won both fights and it was clear he was the winner both times. He should be fighting for the title, but yeah, that's another topic for another time.

As far as the fight goes, I think Kampmann will be able to frustrate Story enough to make it a really close fight but Story will come out with a close decision win.
Pookie
8/18/11 1:25:35PM
This sorta reminds me of the headline after the first Shogun/Machida fight: Shogun dominates Machida in decision loss.
kingsmasher
8/18/11 1:38:50PM
All I know is a hungry Rick Story is a tough bad SOB...I think he really kinda lost interest against Charlie...I think that can really happen in fights is who wants it more...Whos hungrier at the time and who realizes their time to shine is now!!!

Ebersole over Lytle
Story over Alves
Henderson over Miller
Charlie over Story

These guys just said its my time and channeled that adrenaline corerectly...

I also think at the same time the losers just didnt think in no way they could lose or just kinda lost interest due to injuries from opponents they were expected to face..

Fighting is huge mentally too great fighters say like GSP, Silva Machida..That is why a lot of fighters trty to get in other guys head through talk...
DrivenDavies15
8/18/11 11:29:07PM
Gonna be a solid fight, I really hope Kampmann takes it and I believe he will via Decision
Pookie
8/19/11 12:33:16AM
Well story did only have like a 2 week training camp for brennaman, after a tough fight with Alves. He was probably just burned out physically. I doubt Brennaman wanted it more than Story, when just two weeks prior Story wanted it more than Alves.
40ouncetpkid
8/19/11 3:37:43PM
Still think if Story had a full camp for breeneman he would have tooled him.

But this time I think he gets legitly tooled but in exciting fashion by Kampman just like Diego did. Cant take him down and get picked apart, might rock him a few times like Diego did to make it interesting.