Is Kampmann a tougher fight than people think?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Is Kampmann a tougher fight than people think?
jawbreaker517
3/27/09 2:25:20PM
I seem to think so. Condit will have his work cut out for him on Wednesday when he tangles with the Hitman. This is a level up from the WEC, so I hope Carlos doesn't take this one lightly because we've seen him beat really good fighters in the MW division, too. Don't sleep on Martin, you'll be in for a rude awakening.
KaibaThedon
3/27/09 2:41:37PM
I'm still undecided on who to take for this fight, but it seems like Martin Kampmann by decision is not that far fetched to believe.
Franklinfan47
3/27/09 3:06:29PM
I'm taking Condit, but I dont think anyone is counting Kampmann out. He only has one loss in the ufc and looks great with every fight. He even beat Leites who is fighting for the belt right now.

Truth is, this fight is really hard to pick. Condit also is very well-rounded and sports a great record and looks better all the time. I'm taking Condit based on the fact that I think he can control Kampmann on the ground and get the tko, but who knows in this fight.
seanfu
3/27/09 3:11:49PM
if there's anyone to count out it's Condit. He's going in there for his FIRST UFC fight with a top level striker and decent enough ground fighter.

Very even, but I could see a dec for Kampman.

I'm calling Condit by decision but I should probably be in the minority, not majority.
NatedawgThaM
3/27/09 3:44:12PM
I thought Kampman was going to mess him up either way. maybe if Condit can out wrestle him for 3 rounds maybe especially since it's his first fight at 170 and might have problems cutting but I think Kampman's going to be pounding on him wherever the fights at. Kampman should be a legitamate threat for anybody.

Kampman TKO 2 but wudn't be surprised in 1st.
Twenty20Dollars
3/27/09 4:18:10PM

Posted by seanfu

if there's anyone to count out it's Condit.

Exactly.
CwB
3/27/09 5:27:53PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

I thought Kampman was going to mess him up either way. maybe if Condit can out wrestle him for 3 rounds maybe especially since it's his first fight at 170 and might have problems cutting but I think Kampman's going to be pounding on him wherever the fights at. Kampman should be a legitamate threat for anybody.

Kampman TKO 2 but wudn't be surprised in 1st.

this will be kampmanns second fight at welterweight.

and from what the forums have been saying lately i dont think anyone is underestimating kampmann

War Kampmann
prozacnation1978
3/27/09 7:43:45PM
very hard fight for condit

matrin is knocking on the door for top 10 ranking in the world a win over condit not only will put him in top 10 welter but i think he would be a win away from a title shot and even next fight against kos or fitch maybe

condit won't sub martin best bet is by decision
martin could knock out condit, i'll wait till next week to figure who to win this
bls1919
3/27/09 7:53:17PM
I think he is underrated as a fighter. Now that he is at 170 I cant wait to see him tear it up. He fought some big guys( McFedries, Marquardt, Rivera) at 185 and took shots from all of them. His skill set is always evolving. His Jits is coming along and his stand up is on point. I really like the move to 170. i cant wait for his fight with Condit. I am going Kampman UD in a war.
Pookie
3/27/09 7:53:25PM
Kampmann is a top control guy, Condit is an excellent bottom bjj guy. I think its a wash on the ground that favors kampmann only by the fact that hes on top and is earning the control portion of the round.

On the feet Kampmann is much more technical defensively and sports much better footwork. Condit has the edge in power and explosiveness. I think Kampmann's strengths play out perfectly against the much rougher Condit, and should have him in control of where the fight happens, as he has the much better takedowns too.

Kampmann via Decision but it could very well end if Condit gasses.

EDIT -
I also wanted to throw in that Sheilds (an excellent top control bjj fighter) showed that condit could be controlled and completely nullified against someone with great sub defense. Sheilds didnt have the Striking advantage at all going into that fight, but didnt need it because he could just keep Condit on his back. Kampmann can fight a very similar gameplan, but he also has the tools to win on the feet as well.
Gipper
3/27/09 8:48:26PM
either way winner will be close to a titleshot
State_Champ
3/28/09 2:45:47AM
"Is Kampmann a tougher fight than people think?"

That depends on what people you ask.
EvenFlow
3/28/09 4:03:24AM
Kampmann looks like the sleeper in this one, anything I've seen on betting info says Kampmann is a slight underdog. Kampmann is at 43% here, Condit is not being counted out literally. The guy hasnt even had a UFC fight yet and hes favored to beat a former MW with a 5-1 UFC record. I'm not saying not to pick Condit but nobody is really being counted out in this one, the odds look somewhat even.
Dragoslav
3/28/09 1:54:01PM
There's many things that point to the edge going to Kampmann. More technical on the feet, about even on the ground, more experience in the UFC. What we really don't know is how tough Kampmann is mentally. I personally haven't ever seen him in a war, and he wilted when Marquardt pressured him standing. By all accounts Nate's standup is far worse than Condit's and Nate just straight blasted Kampmann. McFedries is way less technical than Kampmann and was winning their fight while standing too, til Kampmann took it to the ground. If Condit comes out strong and blasts Kampmann early with a couple of good shots I think he can break him mentally.
PeteD
3/28/09 2:13:13PM

Posted by FranklinFan47 I'm taking Condit, but I dont think anyone is counting Kampmann out. He only has one loss in the ufc and looks great with every fight. He even beat Leites who is fighting for the belt right now.

And Leites is a stud Jitz guy who couldn't take Kampmann down.

*Sidebar - Leites couldn't get Kampmann down and was outstruck, what is he going to offer Silva?

Anyway, Condit is a tough dude, but I'm going Kampmann via UD
101proof
3/28/09 6:37:06PM
I think Kampmann is good enough on the ground to not get subbed but Condit will be better at scrambling for position that could make the difference. I also think Kampmann will be the better striker but at the same time Condit isnt scared to throw or to take a punch this I think will be a wicked fight but got Kampmann taking the win via decision in a close fight
bls1919
3/28/09 9:18:26PM

Posted by PeteD

Posted by FranklinFan47 I'm taking Condit, but I dont think anyone is counting Kampmann out. He only has one loss in the ufc and looks great with every fight. He even beat Leites who is fighting for the belt right now.

And Leites is a stud Jitz guy who couldn't take Kampmann down.

*Sidebar - Leites couldn't get Kampmann down and was outstruck, what is he going to offer Silva?

Anyway, Condit is a tough dude, but I'm going Kampmann via UD [/QUOTE

To answer your ?.......Not much other than a chin for a punching bag.