Kampmann is injured OUT of UFC 72

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Kampmann is injured OUT of UFC 72
ezkl2517
5/7/07 2:08:24PM
Savage dog show said a rumor is circulating that Kampmann is injured and may not be able to fight. IMO i think its good, i wasnt sure if he was ready for ACE.
Got to wonder who will be the replacement if its true. Hopefully Okami or Mike Swick, i think they would both be good match ups. Winner faces Silva/Marquart winner. Thoughts???
methodman_90
5/7/07 2:16:04PM
I doubt Okami would take the fight but that would be the only fight that would make sense. Travis Lutter? maybe but there many up and comers that are not ready like Kampmann so if he is injured, there are not many options
ezkl2517
5/7/07 2:21:51PM
You think UFC's gonna let Lutter get a fight after the crap he pulled with the weight issue. I think they wouldnt let him get any remote chance of being a contender again. thats just what i think in reference to the way UFC works sometimes.
xchickox
5/7/07 2:46:44PM
there aren't many options when it comes to replacement, there aren't that many who deserve the shot for a title shot at the moment, what about moving rory singer to that card for a shot at franklin

other than that its gotta be okami, lutter or swick or franklin's just gonna destroy anyone else
Dadaman
5/7/07 3:01:26PM
It's just an unsubstantiated rumor at the moment. I know Sherdog is good with it's news and all but let's get some confirmation from Kampmann's camp before we jump to conclusions.

I think for Okami to take the fight would be dangerous to his contender status. He's already just one more fight away from being a contender, and fighting Rich on 5 weeks notice is no easy task. Okami seems like he has good work ethic though, he was in incredible shape his last fight, biggest he's been.

Let's hope Kampmann's OK before anyone jumps the gun though.
the-james
5/7/07 4:21:51PM
Its official now Kampman will not fight at ufc 72

Deffinitly sucks i accually thought this would be a great fight but o well i hope they will throw a good opponet like Dean LIster in there he hasnt fought since January but it will most likely throw in a guy like Jorge Rivera or another B probably C level Fighter
loller90278
5/7/07 4:25:34PM
and ufc 72 gets even worse
Dadaman
5/7/07 4:47:09PM
I sooooooo want to see Yushin and Rich. I actually think they are about equals in terms of strength and groundgame.

Too bad for Martin, I hope he makes a quick recovery and gets back in there.
Lay_N_Pray
5/7/07 5:09:43PM
I think they are going to throw in Okami...they dont really have a choice in the matter. The Middleweight needs a contender and the only two right now, besides Kampann, are Okami and Franklin.

I think McDonald will get back to that point, as will Swick, but they will have to work to get there.

And Singer right now should get no where close to a title fight
Ultimate_fighter
5/7/07 5:15:47PM

Posted by ezkl2517

Savage dog show said a rumor is circulating that Kampmann is injured and may not be able to fight. IMO i think its good, i wasnt sure if he was ready for ACE.
Got to wonder who will be the replacement if its true. Hopefully Okami or Mike Swick, i think they would both be good match ups. Winner faces Silva/Marquart winner. Thoughts???

There is no way swick will be fighting, He didn't look that good his last fight against Okami, i thought there was a rumour that swick is going to welter cuz he weighed like 180 or something his last fight. But i do think lutter, since he just lost and he needs a comeback fight. If Lutter were to beat Franklin that would really impress Dana!
ezkl2517
5/7/07 6:30:25PM

Posted by Ultimate_fighter

Posted by ezkl2517

There is no way swick will be fighting, He didn't look that good his last fight against Okami, i thought there was a rumour that swick is going to welter cuz he weighed like 180 or something his last fight. But i do think lutter, since he just lost and he needs a comeback fight. If Lutter were to beat Franklin that would really impress Dana!

i dont think lutter can beat Ace and i really dont think Dana wants Ace getting beat. again. (i.e. Mcdonald? Come on) i dont think Kampmann was going to do to good against Ace anyway so im kinda happy, not that he got injured but maybe someone else might put up a better fight against Ace. Okami has to be the best bet, anyone else and there throwing him a can
mkiv9secsupra
5/7/07 6:34:49PM
i just wanna see rich kill someone. im tired of ufc replaying rich getted murdered by silva in the clinch over and over
skiba97
5/7/07 6:40:22PM
Id like to see rich vs okami, to see how good okami is againt sombody who he wont beable to completley over power ie starnes and swick. Would make an interesting fight, but i think rich would keep it standing and get the ko, i havnt seen anything to impressive from okami standing.
the-james
5/7/07 7:31:23PM
Hate to tell you guys but theres no way the number two contender (okami) is going to be brought in to fight Rich Franklin on 5 weeks notice, im hoping for a guy like Dean Lister to be brought in, and I was thinking about this and why not take Drew Mcfedries of the UFN card and push him back to ufc 72 to fight Franklin it would be a good fight and i think Drew would agree to do it.
Ultimate_fighter
5/7/07 7:46:52PM
I am kinda hoping that Franklin doesn't fight quite yet and wait for a better ppv.
hippysmacker
5/7/07 9:04:02PM
Franklin/Okami is a great fight if it happens. Apparently MMAwekkly thinks so. Here is their updated UFC 72 rumor page.

UFC 72: JUNE 16, 2007 IN BELFAST, NORTHERN IRELAND

-Rich Franklin (#4 Middleweight in the World)* vs. Yushin Okami
-Forrest Griffin vs. Hector Ramirez
-Tyson Griffin vs. Clay Guida
-Jason MacDonald vs. Rory Singer
-Jake O'Brien vs. Tom Murphy
-Ed Herman vs. Scott Smith
-Marcus Davis vs. Paul Taylor
-Eddie Sanchez vs. Colin Robinson
-Dustin Hazelett vs. TBA

United States PPV suggested retail price: $39.95

* Based on MMAWeekly World MMA Rankings
ffforgottenx
5/8/07 9:06:50AM

Posted by the-james

Hate to tell you guys but theres no way the number two contender (okami) is going to be brought in to fight Rich Franklin on 5 weeks notice, im hoping for a guy like Dean Lister to be brought in, and I was thinking about this and why not take Drew Mcfedries of the UFN card and push him back to ufc 72 to fight Franklin it would be a good fight and i think Drew would agree to do it.

lister is out with a torn bicep, which kept him out of ADCC 07 also
ffforgottenx
5/8/07 9:08:31AM
and the fight network says this:

On the UFC front, June 16’s UFC 72 “Victory” card, set for Belfast, Northern Ireland, took a blow today when Danish fighter Martin Kampmann (12-1) stepped down from his main event slot against former UFC Middleweight Champion Rich Franklin (22-2) with a torn MCL and ACL sustained in a weekend training session at the Xtreme Couture MMA facility in Las Vegas.

Kampmann is making arrangements to undergo surgery as soon as possible, while Franklin’s manager Monte Cox confirms his fighter has accepted a new bout against Yushin Okami. Okami (20-3) is bouncing off a solid unanimous decision victory over Mike Swick at April 7’s UFC 69 in Houston, Texas.

---

i'd say if monte is confirming it to the fight network, it's going to happen
MisFiT
5/8/07 9:36:21AM
I hope Franklin gets set up with someone better.
hippysmacker
5/8/07 11:15:16AM
I think Okami is the next highest rated after Silva, Marquardt, and Franklin. Personally I like this match way more than Franklin/Kampmann. The winner of Franklin/Okami will deserve a title shot IMO.
JBatch
5/8/07 11:57:34AM
i think okami deserves this fight more than Kampmann. Plus I don't see Okami making excuses about taking the fight on short/medium notice. This fight should be a war and the Davis vs. Taylor fight is going to be insane.