Kalib Starnes released from the UFC

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Kalib Starnes released from the UFC
ToeZup
4/21/08 4:28:17PM
I guess I can't blame them after that performance. We all knew this was coming.

Article

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/mma_experts/post/UFC-cuts-Starnes-after-disgraceful-performance;_ylt=Al1.xloNkgVQcxM27ZMyyUs9Eo14?urn=mma,78124

It was a great night for mixed martial arts on Saturday in Montreal, as an enthusiastic sellout crowd of 21,390 packed the Bell Centre to watch hometown hero Georges St. Pierre reclaim the UFC welterweight title from Matt Serra at UFC 83.

It wasn't such a good night, though, for Kalib Starnes, who spent most of the evening running from Nate Quarry in their middleweight bout. A native of Surrey, B.C., Starnes was booed heavily by the Canadian crowd that had been boisterous in its support of all the other Canadians on the card.

After losing a unanimous decision on scores of 30-26, 30-27, and an unheard-of 30-24, Starnes received even worse news: He was cut from his contract by UFC president Dana White.

"He just doesn’t belong in the UFC and after his performance the other night, he should consider a new line of work," White said Monday.

Quarry pressed the action the entire fight as Starnes simply circled and refused to engage. Late in the third round, Quarry pretended to run like he was a track star in trying to find a way to get Starnes to fight.

After the bout, members of Quarry's corner were complaining to Starnes about his lack of activity. Starnes shouted an expletive at one member of Quarry's team, called him a derogatory term for homosexuals and challenged him to a fight.

Starnes couldn't be reached for comment about his performance, but Quarry expressed disappointment with Starnes' lack of effort.

A one-time contestant on The Ultimate Fighter, Starnes was 8-2 going into the bout and had had quality victories over Chris Leben and Jason MacDonald.

"I think if you're fighting in the UFC, you've got to come to fight," Quarry told UFC.com in a post-fight interview. "I would much rather get knocked out than lose a decision running backwards. No disrespect to Kalib. I know the stress really gets to you. A lot of guys, they focus on not wanting to lose instead of wanting to win. I didn't mean to disrespect him in any way. I just got frustrated because you can't fight when somebody's moving backward that fast."
JBatch
4/21/08 4:34:38PM
Saw this comming. I really want to hear from Kalib what the hell went on during or before that fight. He just didn't want to engage and he's a f****in fighter.
Hurricane_Brad
4/21/08 5:12:30PM
That's a little harsh for one poor fight. I hope the UFC will reconsider if/when Kalib gets back on the right track.
puppetmaster837
4/21/08 5:44:31PM

Posted by Hurricane_Brad

That's a little harsh for one poor fight. I hope the UFC will reconsider if/when Kalib gets back on the right track.

Its not really that harsh because it wasn't a poor fight., it was not engaging.

Lets use a different sport for example, soccer. It's the world cup and the goalie decides he doesn't want to block any goals that day. And the final score ends up 22-1. Do you think that team would keep him? No

Maybe if he had an off night and lost a fight that would be a harsh punishment, but he wasn't willing to fight which is what they were paying him $1000's to do.
Copenhagen
4/21/08 6:17:45PM
Wow, Nate's comments were very professional. Props to him.
Coloss
4/21/08 6:23:56PM
One of the very few smart decisions of Dana. I doubt he did that just to frighten Sterns, be we gonna see.
skinnator
4/21/08 6:49:53PM
OUCH!!! Poor guy
THENEXTLHCHAMP
4/21/08 7:27:33PM
Yeah he does not belong in the UFC...How Embarassing
SerraLeben
4/21/08 7:33:46PM
This was a great call on Dana's behalf. Who honestly didn't see this coming? Dana is probably glad Sterns gave him a reason to dismiss him because the have to many fighters on the payroll anyways.

I wonder if Sterns cares or not? And what his whole reason behind running away all fight was.
blkssncpt
4/21/08 8:07:50PM
damn thats suck for him, i actually lik Kalib and enjoyed watching him fight but after that he really disappointed me , i mean after figting Leben and McDonald in good fights thats just sad......

-Rob
seanfu
4/21/08 8:15:21PM

Posted by Hurricane_Brad

Ha hahahaha. You said when he gets back on the right "track" lol
F--K_Luck_AuH2O
4/21/08 8:16:57PM
That fight made no sense.
nickcuc547
4/21/08 8:17:48PM
kalib said on the radio that he didn't fight out of protest of his contract, said he was mad about his low pay and that the ufc wouldn't pay his medical bills. take it however you want it but that's starnes story.
Playground_Samurai
4/21/08 8:36:04PM

Posted by nickcuc547

kalib said on the radio that he didn't fight out of protest of his contract, said he was mad about his low pay and that the ufc wouldn't pay his medical bills. take it however you want it but that's starnes story.

If that's true, that's pathetic and I never want to see him fight for any organization ever again. Did he think his performance would hurt the UFC any? The only ones who lost out on that pathetic display was the fans. Way to shoot yourself in the leg. Oh, and way to look out for your fans also.
GSPCanada
4/21/08 8:56:34PM

Posted by seanfu

Posted by Hurricane_Brad

Ha hahahaha. You said when he gets back on the right "track" lol

hahaha good observation.

I personally thought that was one of the worst performaces ever but didn't think he should have got cut, however if its true that he didn't fight out of protest then he got what he wanted and screw him. Thanks Starnes, next time just refuse to fight in general and save us 15 minutes and give someone else a chance to show what they got
Nacho
4/22/08 12:16:10AM
I didn't realize this (Starnes) made the front page of Yahoo!
BTizzle
4/22/08 2:15:57AM
Well if he's mad about the low pay maybe he should do something about it. Clearly running in a circle for 15 mins does not get you a pay raise it gets you cut.

I figured something would happen since Dana is always making a big deal about it on Ultimate fighter about people being fighters and to make the most out of their chance etc. So this seems like the right call.
TeeRev
4/22/08 2:17:50PM
Delete this if you must, but I don't think most people have seen these quotes, so I figure it's more than worth mentioning. Most websites (Yahoo, Globe and Mail) only have pieces of these quotes. All of these are from fightnetwork.com

Kalib on Dana saying that Kalib doesn't belong in the UFC:

"“In my opinion, it was inappropriate to make public statements regarding my character and my future and so on the way that he has, especially without having the courage and the respect to call me up and speak with me personally,” Starnes said. “All of these comments come from a man that has never had a fight in his entire life who claims to be the ultimate authority on fighting and courage. I couldn’t be happier than to be released from the most oppressive contract I’ve ever been under in my life.”"

"According to the American Top Team-trained fighter, injuries led to his switch from an offensive to defensive mode against Quarry."

On injuries sustained in the fight:

"“Right now, I have a broken foot [that] I sustained with the first kick I threw in the fight,” Starnes said. “My leg is purple and black from my knee up, I have a black eye, a sprained jaw, and he’s questioning my desire to fight? If that isn’t enough to satisfy him and the crowd, I can show them the medical report. I can barely walk. [Quarry] totally destroyed my thigh with those kicks. I’m sure a lot of people would rather see me suffer a traumatic brain injury and be rendered unconscious. That’s too bad. If that’s what they want, they’re paying the wrong guy $10,000 to get his brain smashed in.” "

On why he fought the way he did:

"“Dana White wouldn’t stand and trade with a guy [like Quarry] who had an 80 or 90 percent knockout ratio with injuries like I had Saturday night,” Starnes said. “He wouldn’t cross the street for $10,000. I don’t have anything to prove to anybody. I’m not about to stand there and get smashed to pieces. After I knew my foot was broken, I was trying to back up and work off the jab and keep moving so I didn’t get knocked out.”"

On talk of him appearing on any radio shows and the publicity stemming from the fight:

"“Any report or rumor that I came on any radio station to comment on the fight or circumstances surrounding the fight or in reference to the UFC or Dana White is completely false,” he said. “I’ve been back in Florida since Sunday, and it was Dana White who decided to come out and publicly attack my character, not the other way around. That’s the way he felt like he should go. Maybe he thinks that character assassination might prevent me from moving on and fighting for another organization or carrying on a career. If he thinks it’s appropriate to attack me, it isn’t.” "