Kalib Starnes: Dana White ‘wouldnt cross the street for $10,000'

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Kalib Starnes: Dana White ‘wouldnt cross the street for $10,000'
SmileR
4/22/08 7:31:42PM
In my opinion, it was inappropriate to make public statements regarding my character and my future and so on the way that he has, especially without having the courage and the respect to call me up and speak with me personally,” Starnes said. “All of these comments come from a man that has never had a fight in his entire life who claims to be the ultimate authority on fighting and courage. I couldn’t be happier than to be released from the most oppressive contract I’ve ever been under in my life…. Dana White wouldn’t stand and trade with a guy [like Quarry] who had an 80 or 90 percent knockout ratio with injuries like I had Saturday night. He wouldn’t cross the street for $10,000. I don’t have anything to prove to anybody. I’m not about to stand there and get smashed to pieces. After I knew my foot was broken, I was trying to back up and work off the jab and keep moving so I didn’t get knocked out.”

Former UFC middleweight Kalib Starnes responds to comments UFC President Dana White made about him after a very weak performance at UFC 83 this past weekend. Starnes claims he requested to be released from his contract, while White insists he was cut. Whatever. Starnes reveals that a broken foot was the reason he essentially refused to fight Nate Quarry during their middleweight match up on April 19 and has fueled this entire fiasco.

Link

Full interview

here
Mchubb316
4/22/08 7:36:38PM
I would think that it would be kind of hard to run that much with a broken foot.
grappler0000
4/22/08 7:41:37PM
Hmmm...I would of thought he had broken everything but his feet
Darnok
4/22/08 7:44:47PM

Posted by grappler0000

Hmmm...I would of thought he had broken everything but his feet

You are exactly right. The way he was running, his foot was fine.
jgtribbett
4/22/08 7:53:28PM
yeah.. but no base.. no power.
chubbud22
4/22/08 8:09:02PM

Posted by Mchubb316

I would think that it would be kind of hard to run that much with a broken foot.

I think Kalib (track star) Starnes has something to prove to a lot of people; that he is not afraid to get hit by Nat Quarry. He let down his country his fans, and himself. I will forever dislike this guy, because he has no heart.
iwannabesedated
4/22/08 8:23:25PM
Nah Nah Nah Nah Hey Hey Hey Gooodbye...I wont miss Starnes...Its actually good for Starnes because what top MW would He stand a chance against....Dan,Rich,Okami,Anderson,Almeida,Cote and yeah i still think Leben beat him and got robbed on the decision.

It wouldnt be soo bad if Kalib was actaully a big name or a top guy in the UFC and complain about money ala Randy....But Kalib C'mon...You havent been or probably ever be a top ten fighter in the UFC.

Im sure he'll be off to EXC were the rest of UFC outcast end up..Other than Jake Shields and Cung Le...
decken
4/22/08 8:43:38PM
If Kalib was running because of his broken foot( not sure if that is really possible) why didn't he just give up. Tell the ref. that he could no longer continue. I mean it was obvious he couldn't win in a standup war and he wasn't trying to take him down. Why continue the fight?
whardin19
4/22/08 10:15:28PM
This guy has no class. I'm tired of hearing from this guy. He had an excuse on why he lost TUF because of his rib injury and now and excuse after looking that total shit agains Quarry. Quit the excuses Starnes.
Fanboy 1988
4/22/08 10:46:17PM
This was one of the few fights I've seen were I really thought I could of done better the the pro in the fight
SpiderSilva
4/22/08 11:35:40PM
what wonderful words from a FORMER UFC fighter
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
4/22/08 11:43:50PM
i use to have love for him since hes from my hood, but after that match i wouldnt mind trading with him.
bigbubbano23
4/23/08 12:53:19AM
just another excuse. what that thing that is supposed to help people when they are in that type of situation adrenaline? obviously he didn't get any because he was to busy changing the color of his shorts.
Svartorm
4/23/08 1:39:47AM
I actually broke my foot last June in an amatuer fight after I misjudged a leg kick and connected my foot into my opponents kneecap. I HAD to stand and trade because if I tried to back up or even walk I would have fallen over, so the idea he ran around for 10 minutes with a broken foot is complete crap. My foot wasn't even a severe break either, so this story makes absolutely no sense.
cloppio
4/23/08 3:10:50AM
just sounds like damage control to me. if you're hurt...say so beforehand. dana would have replaced him and let him fight later. sounds like an outmatched, outclassed chump......and now the world will see it... just my opinion of course.
KlobberYoFace
4/23/08 4:03:08AM
Broke his foot huh? While I respect literally every fighter that steps into the ring, cage, or whatever it may be, I have to say I have no respect for that kind of showing he put up on Saturday night. If your foot is too hurt to continue the fight then either throw in the towel or don't answer the bell, it's that simple. I think that is a b.s. statement about the foot and he is covering his tracks, which might take awhile seeing as how he ran about 13.8 miles at UFC 83
chubbud22
4/23/08 4:57:19AM

Posted by Svartorm

I actually broke my foot last June in an amatuer fight after I misjudged a leg kick and connected my foot into my opponents kneecap. I HAD to stand and trade because if I tried to back up or even walk I would have fallen over, so the idea he ran around for 10 minutes with a broken foot is complete crap. My foot wasn't even a severe break either, so this story makes absolutely no sense.

Did you win the fight?
xburbx
4/23/08 8:39:40AM
Dana gave him the biggest opportunity of his life and he blew it. He was given a bigger opportunity than he deserved. Either way, it doesnt matter, he'll fall off the face of the earth and no one will hear from him again. His 15 minutes are up.
matt_black
4/23/08 9:01:00AM
Apparently Kalib wouldn't cross Nate Quarry for $10,000
babytater03
4/23/08 10:20:08AM

Posted by whardin19

This guy has no class. I'm tired of hearing from this guy. He had an excuse on why he lost TUF because of his rib injury and now and excuse after looking that total shit agains Quarry. Quit the excuses Starnes.

bullettdodger
4/23/08 12:44:08PM
i guess i gamm the super minority here... but i really don't think he owes us anything... i mean yeah we got to watch track and field instead of MMA for 15 minutes, what a refreshing change of pace (im kidding). But seriously, this is his life what right to we have to armchair quarterback and insult this guy,,, I definitely wouldn't cross Nate Quarry for a measly 10,000... i've for a long time thought that the wages paid to fighters is ridiculous, and that the organization doesn't pay for injuries sustained in their service... its kind of disgusting. Wrong venue to protest for sure...but still an issue that needs to be regulated since the MMA boom is here and it is only going to get bigger as a sport at this point. If the ENTIRE pay scale doesn't shift to the right and up then its just the Rich getting richer (dana and the fertititas) and the poor getting screwed (fighters whose names aren't GSP, Chuck, Rampage, Forrest, and anyone else who draws a huge crowd)... Change needs to be made, perhaps this was a bad start... but at least someone is trying to make change...
xburbx
4/23/08 12:55:43PM
Why should the UFC have to change anything. If fighters keep fighting at the wages they are making, why would you pay them more? They dont owe them anything. It is a private business. None of the fighters put up millions of their own investment money to save the UFC. If this was a government run organization, then I'm sure there would be regulations. Wages will keep increasing with time, but at the end of the day, why would bottom level employees of a regular company be paid a lot of money? GSP, Liddell and all the top fighters are like top level employees of a company and it should be reflected in their income as it is. Kalib Starnes is like a stock room organizer. No reason to pay a guy like him more let alone keep in on the payroll. It is annoying to hear people bitch about the wages. Those are the same people that vote for Obama and like government programs. Lame people.
bullettdodger
4/23/08 1:19:54PM

Posted by xburbx

Why should the UFC have to change anything. If fighters keep fighting at the wages they are making, why would you pay them more? They dont owe them anything. It is a private business. None of the fighters put up millions of their own investment money to save the UFC. If this was a government run organization, then I'm sure there would be regulations. Wages will keep increasing with time, but at the end of the day, why would bottom level employees of a regular company be paid a lot of money? GSP, Liddell and all the top fighters are like top level employees of a company and it should be reflected in their income as it is. Kalib Starnes is like a stock room organizer. No reason to pay a guy like him more let alone keep in on the payroll. It is annoying to hear people bitch about the wages. Those are the same people that vote for Obama and like government programs. Lame people.

Okay instead of a personal attack perhaps you should phrase your opinion in a less agressive manner. At any rate.... bodily harm comes to these fighters, it has nothing to do with Obama or goverment programs... you run a buisness like you said right? Well rule number one is turn a profit... the UFC is doing this and more than some. Rule number two is take care of your employees so they will take care of you. These wages for some guys are still the same as before MMA boom'd. The industry becomes more profitable therefore the profession should become more profitable. Im not trying to say everyfighter should be paid the same nor am i trying to say that every fighter should be making half a million dollars on a fight. Im saying either up their wages or pay for medical bills once a fighter is cut or injured or has a broken bone... all it will do is speed up their recovery and get them back into training sooner... it really is a win win situation and if you can't see that then you are the lame one
bullettdodger
4/23/08 1:21:19PM

Posted by xburbx

Why should the UFC have to change anything.

sigh i shouldn't have typed a whole paragraph explaining my position, this guy obviously thinks the UFC is the end all be all of fighting and is thusly infallible.
xburbx
4/23/08 1:35:16PM
did you even read everything i wrote? it's about running a business, not the ufc being the only name in the game. IF FIGHTERS HAVE A PROBLEM WITH WHAT THEY GET PAID, GET A NEW JOB. i dont care which organization is running the show. the ufc is just the one doing it right now.
holt8081
5/22/08 4:13:57PM
He will not be missed, I wonder where he will go
bigbubbano23
5/22/08 4:40:45PM
so not only does he embarrass himself in the octagon now he has to do it by making these statements.