Junior Dos Santos vs. Mirko Cro Cop

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Junior Dos Santos vs. Mirko Cro Cop
Next Page »
chickmagnet
8/2/09 5:00:39PM
This fight should be exciting. Cro Cop has always been on of the greats in all of MMA, as of late he hasn't shown the agression and talent he had in pride, I think he can gradually regain that form he once had, especially if he can beat JDS. Junior is a prospect with huge KO power and excellent striking skills who I believe has the potential to be a champion, he can prove this if he beats CC.

I expect Dos Santos to come out swinging early, this is a huge opportunity for him so he is going to want to win in a stellar fashion. I could see JDS catching Cro Cop with a wild shot that could put him out cold, but I could also see Cro Cop picking him apart and then timing a perfect strike. Dos Santos is a powerful puncher, one of the most powerful in the HW Division. Cro Cop should be very respectful of the power of JDS, if he doesnt, it could be a short night for him.

However I think if Cro Cop circles away from the right hand, and uses his kicks he should be able to capitalize on openings or mistakes that JDS might present, and eventually set up a big strike.

Right now I am undecided on who I think will take this fight, I could see either man winning, But I dont expect this one to make it out of round 2, someone will have probably went down by then.

Thoughts?
KaibaThedon
8/2/09 5:04:55PM
Last betting line I saw had them at EVEN money.

I would imagine Cro Cop is the favourite in this fight though, but I think Junior has what it takes to beat him.

JDS shoots up to the upper echelon of HWs with a win here.

or

Cro Cop stops a very good fighter and puts his name back in HW mix.

joshryanshepherd
8/2/09 5:11:54PM
someone will get KOd. its inevitable. Either Junior throws a big right hand or CC wings a high left kick and quite frankly i don't care which it is because i like both.
copcopps
8/2/09 5:28:03PM
JDS by KO, though Cro Cop can take it if he isn't tentative
Wallass
8/2/09 6:01:59PM
Dos Santo KO!!!
IriShame
8/2/09 6:42:55PM
I'm hoping for a Dos Santos KO but I wouldn't be surprised if he takes Cro Cop down and submits him. From what I've heard he has a wicked ground game to go with all that power. I think Dos Santos comes out guns blazing, if Cro Cop is timid and backs up it's only a matter of time before he gets KO'd. Cro Cop doesn't like to be bullied and rarely wins fights where he isn't the aggressor. If Cro Cop can adjust to the early blitzkrieg and land a few powerful counter shots I believe Dos Santos tries to take the fight to the ground. Whether he can get the takedown or not, I have no idea. I know one thing though, I can't wait for this fight.
adamal
8/2/09 7:03:20PM
I agree this fight is going to be awesome! I am taking Dos Santos though, I have picked CC his past few UFC fights and have been really disappointed in watching him. I still think Cro Cop is always a head kick away from being in the HW mix, but Dos Santos is going to be coming into this fight under the mainstream radar, but I think a lot of hardcore MMA fans will not be surprised if he pulls it out.

I do agree that if Dos Santos wins it vaults him in the HW contender dog pile. He has a lot more to gain by winning that CC does IMHO.

Aaronno9
8/2/09 7:06:10PM
Mirko 1st round K.O. I think he'll catch JDS swinging with a shot straight down the pipe and knock him down, then follow up with some brutal GnP for the finish.
mkiv9secsupra
8/2/09 8:03:51PM
imo, it is a joke how soooooo many people believe JDS is a top notch striker. He beat guys with practically non existant stand up and suddenly he is a contender. CC is going to counter and wait for the straight left from hell and TKOs JDS in the second
tepid55
8/2/09 8:15:53PM
I think Dos Santos will KO Cro Cop and send him out of the UFC.
breakdown5
8/2/09 9:24:12PM
I'm pulling for Dos Santos, but in this particular fight, I really see it going either way. Will be fireworks for sure. And I think it is a good barometer for Cro Cop to see where he will stand in the division. His last fight wasn't really very telling in that respect.

gartface
8/2/09 9:44:31PM
Cro Cop will outbox Dos Santos up and down that octagon. No kicks even necessary.
Bowen50
8/2/09 11:11:36PM
i feel like a lot of you guys are underestimating Cro Cop. granted he hasn't looked like the Cro Cop of old as of late, he still has incredible striking ability. i'm sure he can handle Dos Santos on the feet. Dos Santos has good boxing but i think you guys are overrating him. look who he has knocked out in the UFC. Werdum who we all know is a BJJ guy and Stefan Struve who was a UFC newcomer who hadn't fought any top competition.
MMA4EVER
8/2/09 11:37:49PM
hands down CroCop By 2nd round tko he will make an example out of dos santos and show the rest of the heavyweight division that he is comin for the belt so whoever has that title best be watchin crocop
chickmagnet
8/3/09 1:52:59AM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

imo, it is a joke how soooooo many people believe JDS is a top notch striker

As far as the heavyweight division in the UFC goes.. yes, he is one of the more standout strikers. Im not saying he is on the same striking level as Cro Cop, but he is younger, bigger, and far more agressive than Cro Cop as of late. Never underestimate a guy like JDS. All i have said is Cro Cop could very well win, but I wouldnt be surprised to see him defeated in this one.
slapshot
8/3/09 2:07:43AM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

imo, it is a joke how soooooo many people believe JDS is a top notch striker. He beat guys with practically non existant stand up and suddenly he is a contender. CC is going to counter and wait for the straight left from hell and TKOs JDS in the second

I agree, I think crocop will wipe the floor with him. Junior Dos Santos has two fights in the UFC and still has a lot to prove.
cmill21
8/3/09 3:24:21AM
Well unless JDS shows something more he's going down. Sloppy boxing isn't going the get Mirko.
scobac
8/3/09 4:08:54AM

Posted by cmill21

Well unless JDS shows something more he's going down. Sloppy boxing isn't going the get Mirko.

sloppy boxing? everything ive seen from him indicates he is a good boxer. he has good movement and put werdum to the floor with one well timed uppercut. Im not saying he is going to win but I think this fight could go either way and hopefully it's an entertaining slugfest.
hippysmacker
8/3/09 6:32:08AM

Posted by scobac

Posted by cmill21

sloppy boxing? everything ive seen from him indicates he is a good boxer. he has good movement and put werdum to the floor with one well timed uppercut. Im not saying he is going to win but I think this fight could go either way and hopefully it's an entertaining slugfest.

he threw an uppercut all the way from his nuts and Werdum didn't avoid it. I am not saying he is a sloppy boxer, but I am saying I think that punch landed becuase Werdum is a subpar striker. Most fighters would never have let a punch that telegraphed, that took that long to reach them , actually make that kind of contact IMO.
cmill21
8/3/09 8:57:23AM

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by scobac

Posted by cmill21

he threw an uppercut all the way from his nuts and Werdum didn't avoid it. I am not saying he is a sloppy boxer, but I am saying I think that punch landed becuase Werdum is a subpar striker. Most fighters would never have let a punch that telegraphed, that took that long to reach them , actually make that kind of contact IMO.

Exactly. His boxing isn't great, and everyones building him up to be some striking god but I dont see it.
Aaronno9
8/3/09 9:16:31AM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by scobac

Posted by cmill21

Exactly. His boxing isn't great, and everyones building him up to be some striking god but I dont see it.

pv3Hpv3p
8/3/09 12:57:16PM
I don't think anyone will argue that JDS is one of the most exciting HW prospects around... and he's looked great in the UFC fights...

But just the way people around here are talking about him... I understand that he's hungry etc, but if anyone thinks he's going to come out "guns-a-blazin" is sadly mistaken or JDS is going to make a big mistake...

CC's always been a counter fighter... and if JDS comes out swingin he's gonna get dropped... if he takes CC down he can win... even after a standup ala GG... Hopefully JDS hasn't fallen in love with his standup too much and uses the whole of his fighting game...

I like both fighters... I would love to see CC make a last run at a HW championship... and don't want to see him go out on his shield quite yet... that and the fact that Junior is so young and could bounce from a loss easily, makes me end up cheering for CC...

Maybe he should walk out to the old Prider theme again... try and bring back some of that old magic
slapshot
8/3/09 1:33:21PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

I don't think anyone will argue that JDS is one of the most exciting HW prospects around... and he's looked great in the UFC fights...

I'll debate that point, he is a middle of the road fighter that will never hold a title in the UFC and would get destroyed by any of the top 5 fighters in the UFC. Two fights in the UFC and he's one of the most exciting prospects? I guess that just goes to show how weak the HW division is then IDK I just dont see anything but a pink slip in his future.
Hendo67
8/3/09 2:49:44PM
Dos Santos by KO? seriously, people keep forgetting that Cro-Cop is probably one of if not the best HW striker MMA has seen, sure he's declined a bit, but c'mon now.
pv3Hpv3p
8/3/09 3:08:57PM

Posted by slapshot

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

I'll debate that point, he is a middle of the road fighter that will never hold a title in the UFC and would get destroyed by any of the top 5 fighters in the UFC. Two fights in the UFC and he's one of the most exciting prospects? I guess that just goes to show how weak the HW division is then IDK I just dont see anything but a pink slip in his future.

IMHO, there's no such thing as a truely "deep" HW division... anywhere... Secondly, ya I'd call him an exciting prospect... came out of no where and KO'd Werdum, consequently knocking Werdum out of his #1 contenders spot... then had another 1st rd ko in his next fight... I think that makes him an exciting prospect... maybe we have a different definition of the word? Not saying he's gonna be champ, but he's done enough to generate some interest in this upcoming fight (hence us writin in this thread etc)
chickmagnet
8/3/09 3:34:53PM

Posted by Hendo67

Dos Santos by KO? seriously, people keep forgetting that Cro-Cop is probably one of if not the best HW striker MMA has seen, sure he's declined a bit, but c'mon now.

Watch a few a of Cro Cop's last fights, he just hasn't seemed like the old CC. I am really hoping he can take this fight,Im just saying Junior is young and hungry, and Cro Cop has been in the fight game for quite some time. I will be rooting for CC but ill say it again, Dos Santos trains with great strikers and is 6'4, and 238 lbs, he is an explosive guy, and this is the type of guy who could give CC problems.

However I will be very pumped if the vintage CC shows up.
TimW001
8/3/09 7:18:19PM
I think Dos Santos can pull out a win. He has a good advantage mainly because he trains with the Nog bros. Also I read that he's a Brazilian kickboxing champion with a record of 18-0. But I can't find proof of it.
nickcuc547
8/3/09 7:55:54PM
Don't forget JDS trains with nog, he must have some sort of a ground game. I still like cro cop but dos santos will give him some trouble.
prozacnation1978
8/3/09 11:10:59PM
dos santos can knock him out, this fight won't go 3 rounds it just depends which mirko shows up to fight!!
The_Ho_Bag
8/3/09 11:11:18PM

Posted by TimW001

I think Dos Santos can pull out a win. He has a good advantage mainly because he trains with the Nog bros. Also I read that he's a Brazilian kickboxing champion with a record of 18-0. But I can't find proof of it.

K-1 > Dos Santos kickboxing record .

Pages: [1] 2