Junior Dos Santos Confirms Torn Meniscus Leading To Title Fight

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Junior Dos Santos Confirms Torn Meniscus Leading To Title Fight
FastKnockout
11/13/11 1:03:43AM
As if winning the UFC heavyweight title in 64 seconds wasn't impressive enough, Junior Dos Santos did it all with a busted up knee. Ariel Helwani of MMA Fighting confirmed the news via twitter that the new champion went into the fight with a major knee injury.

LINK
FastKnockout
11/13/11 1:23:05AM
What a warrior!
Twenty20Dollars
11/13/11 1:58:46AM
I couldn't tell, although I only saw him fight for a minute.
Manak
11/13/11 2:00:00AM
damm but does that mean another long lay-off for the hw champ
Twenty20Dollars
11/13/11 2:04:21AM

Posted by Manak

Well still got like 47 days till Brock/Overeem no.1 contender fight. Then winner of that has to get healthy/rest and get in camp.

But idk how long JDS might be out for potentially.
prophecy033
11/13/11 3:12:07AM
I'm still about how it only took JDS 64 seconds to take out Cain. I figures it would have gone at least 1 round. I picked Cain but I gotta give props to Junior, he's the new king of the Heavyweights. I think a fight between Junior and Overeem would be crazy. Still some interest in seeing him fight Brock as well. Other then those two, I'd like to see him fight Cain again. I don't think Cain's time away had anything to do with this lose (i mean, did you see that punch) but I would like to see them fight after normal layoffs.
kopower
11/13/11 7:02:40AM
Would have been interesting to see how the fight played out if Cain survived the first. That knee wouldn't have held up to good I'm guessing if Cain had the opportunity to put some pressure on it, and constant takedowns.
emfleek
11/13/11 10:01:48AM
Excuses, excuses!

RyanC
11/13/11 12:15:55PM

Posted by Manak

Dos Santos should be 100% in 6-8 weeks max, and I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't even take that long. I think he already said he won't need surgery which means he'll just need physical therapy. My dad, who is 60, tore his miniscus skiing in Colorado, and didn't require surgery, and was back to 100% in a couple of months with some rehab. Junior is 27, and a world class athlete. I would imagine he will have no problem bouncing back from this, and getting back to training ASAP.

MisterFreeze
11/13/11 12:48:03PM
I saw this coming! (Granted, I really thought it would make it to the second round) but I've known since the Cheik Kongo fight that Cain doesn't have a great chin. He's just managed to avoid taking big shots in other fights. JDS boxing is too good, I knew there was no way JDS couldn't hit Velasquez..

Also about JDS torn Meniscus.... sounds like he's just making excuses -
tmas
11/13/11 12:54:50PM
i knew when i saw him at the weigh ins that something was wrong i didnt know what but i couldnt believe how chubby he was compared to his normal ripped 6 pack self. i was wondering what injury he had that impared his training and now we know.
Lucas
11/13/11 2:48:34PM

Posted by MisterFreeze

I saw this coming! (Granted, I really thought it would make it to the second round) but I've known since the Cheik Kongo fight that Cain doesn't have a great chin. He's just managed to avoid taking big shots in other fights. JDS boxing is too good, I knew there was no way JDS couldn't hit Velasquez..

Completely disagree kongo is not the best mms fighter by a long shot but he has massive power and he landed flush on Cain a couple of times it may have knocked him down but he was never in trouble, in my eyes its like saying nick Diaz hasn't got a good chin bcus Paul Daley knocked him down obviously that's not the case. Even jds caught him with a shot that landed behind his ear which took his equilibrium away so I don't think that goes to prove he doesn't have a good chin. Imo
Poor_Franklin
11/13/11 4:21:47PM
most HWs can knock another HW out if they land one. It's arguably the weight class where striking precision matters most.
Manak
11/13/11 4:39:25PM

Posted by prophecy033

I'm still about how it only took JDS 64 seconds to take out Cain. I figures it would have gone at least 1 round. I picked Cain but I gotta give props to Junior, he's the new king of the Heavyweights. I think a fight between Junior and Overeem would be crazy. Still some interest in seeing him fight Brock as well. Other then those two, I'd like to see him fight Cain again. I don't think Cain's time away had anything to do with this lose (i mean, did you see that punch) but I would like to see them fight after normal layoffs.

my buddies and I replayed that shot about 20 times, sounded like barry bonds swinging a baseball bat to a wall
Bubbles
11/13/11 6:40:18PM

Posted by MisterFreeze

the ear is not the chin
MisterFreeze
11/14/11 1:20:48PM

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by MisterFreeze

the ear is not the chin

Chin is generally accepted as a fighters ability to withstand a punch - whether it lands directly on the chin, or on the ear.
MaxOne
11/14/11 5:01:24PM

Posted by MisterFreeze

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by MisterFreeze

the ear is not the chin

Chin is generally accepted as a fighters ability to withstand a punch - whether it lands directly on the chin, or on the ear.

but maybe he has a strong chin and a weak ear...i know my ear is a wuss.
Pookie
11/14/11 5:38:25PM
Chin is not ear.