Junior Dos Santos

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Junior Dos Santos
MFOTHER
10/23/08 4:27:08PM
so what exactly do we know abot him

seems like everone is picking werdum (me too)

just saying he looked big and powerful in the new dana video blog....not big enough to change my pick....but just checking
gsquat
10/23/08 4:43:08PM
Right now I've got Werdum R1 KO/TKO... ButI might change to submission. He's just been standing and striking lately. I can't pick Dos Santos. I can't find any video of him. It'll suck if he wins... for me anyway.
juanez13
10/23/08 5:35:58PM
yea i dont got anything on him, but he did look beast in Dana's video blog. In stand up he might have the advantage, but i think once it hits the mat, Werdum will take care of him.
nickcuc547
10/23/08 6:11:40PM
he doesn't look bigger than aleks e. werdum handled him, and i'm positive he doesn't hit as hard.
Branwest
10/23/08 6:49:05PM
For those who may not know, he has some SERIOUS hype behind him. Supposedly, he's a well-rounded fighter. Though putting him against Werdum in his first fight in the octogon?!?! That's rough. I've got Werdum for sure, but the future may look pretty good for Santos. We'll see.
bullettdodger
10/23/08 7:12:28PM
I think he is under the same management as Anderson Silva, might be training partners... not 100% sure but i think i did hear that off the most recent Sherdog Beatdown podcast
Wolfenstein
10/23/08 7:30:08PM
I've watched him a couple times in the Extreme Fighting Championships. I think he fought two guys in a single night, one of the guys he fought again in another show and lost by armbar.

I think his strong suit seems to be his striking and takedowns. He actually finished one guy fom top position in half guard with a guilotine, which is pretty impressive. The guy is built rather large as well.

Here's a list of his accomplishments I found via wikifighter...
Purple belt in Jiu-Jitsu
Bahia State Jiu-Jitsu Champion
Bahia State Submission Champion

Here's a couple youtube clips...

link1

link2
DevonFoxy
10/23/08 8:30:19PM
I can't see his BJJ being better than Werdums seeing its the best at HW. Think he has a tremendous opportunity but in order to cash it in Werdum is going to have to have a horrible night on top of Santos being the best hes ever been and still hes gonna need some luck.

Good fighter and prospect.....not ready for Werdum.
MMA
10/24/08 10:04:14AM
News is that the dude is a good BJJ with some nice striking. The odds are good enough to drop some $ on him.
cowcatcher
10/24/08 10:13:38AM
hes apparently a black house guy so hes on the right team for a brazilian fighter. good striking, and low gas tank are the things ive heard, but the first time in the octagon either scares people into being timid and not fighting their fight, or they come out and get a big win and everyone says theyre the "next so and so". werdum will be one hell of a measuring stick to see where this guy is at.
4u2nv
10/24/08 10:18:06AM
Junior looks very impressive and like someone else said Werdum is a mighty measuring stick but I think he could pull a sub victory in the end. Idk i haven't heard much about him and I'm looking into vids of him now. But looks impressive. Def going to be around in the future since the HW division is weak right now and sorta a open door.
pinoymixplaya
10/24/08 11:18:52PM
I just don't know why Werdum would accept a fight like this. I don't think he should be tooting his own horn or anything but this is a Lose/Lose situation. If he wins the fight, big deal, he beat up a can. If he loses, all that work would go down the drain because of a new guy, like Jardine/Alexander...
cmill21
10/24/08 11:27:50PM

Posted by 4u2nv

Junior looks very impressive and like someone else said Werdum is a mighty measuring stick but I think he could pull a sub victory in the end. Idk i haven't heard much about him and I'm looking into vids of him now. But looks impressive. Def going to be around in the future since the HW division is weak right now and sorta a open door.

Do you mean Werdum will pull the sub or Junior? I would definetly disagree with Santo's getting it though. I just see Werdum as a tough ass guy who took shots from GG, AA, Aleks, Sergei and Vera. I don't know how much Santo's can offer that he hasn't seen.
higdon10
10/25/08 2:17:52AM

Posted by pinoymixplaya

I just don't know why Werdum would accept a fight like this. I don't think he should be tooting his own horn or anything but this is a Lose/Lose situation. If he wins the fight, big deal, he beat up a can. If he loses, all that work would go down the drain because of a new guy, like Jardine/Alexander...

I was telling a couple of buddies the same exact thing. Even used Jardine as an example. A win wont move him up the ladder. Not really sure what he can gain.
gfp2
10/25/08 9:07:01AM
I wouldn't be suprised if Werdum gets upset tonight
JulesWinnfield
10/25/08 11:00:44AM
I picked Werdum to win the fight.

But you might as well put a small bet on Dos Santos. Shit, why not, the guy is payin +900. I know Werdum is a skilled fighter, but I never cared for his style, he's too non-chalant and shit. With his pimp bitch slaps for stand up. He somehow manages never to get hit really clean on his feet though.