Junie is a good example of a guy who looks good hitting the pads, but bad against an opponent

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Junie is a good example of a guy who looks good hitting the pads, but bad against an opponent
fullerene
10/23/08 10:19:53AM
Like a lot of people, I thought Junie would run through his opponent last night. I wasn't basing this on how he talked but rather on how fast and crisp his punches looked in the few clips they showed.

But getting in the ring it was a different story. He had no lateral movement, no head movement, no rhythm with his punches and non-existent defense.. Fortunately for him a lot of those same things could be said about his opponent.

This is a pretty common scenario actually, but I think a lot of people new to combat sports are shocked when "natural athletes" are made to look otherwise as soon as the distance and pace of a fight throws them off.
Wallass
10/23/08 11:30:15AM
Yeah I think if anything, Roli impressed me more just based on the fact that I didnt think he`d be able to do anything but he showed he had a great chin taking some powerful shots. I thought this was the closest fight ive seen in a long time and I think it could just have easily gone to Roli which isnt saying much for Junie.
Aether
10/23/08 11:41:19AM
Both fighters were pretty unimpressive in this fight IMO. We'll have to wait a few weeks to see if it was a result of the weight cutting or if his opponent in the prelims was just so bad that he made junie look better than he is.
Branwest
10/23/08 11:42:06AM
Junie did have a couple of good combination punches when he used them, which was not often. And he did defend, I believe, one or two weak attempts at a takedown. Roli should've kept using the front kicks to keep the distance, and use his reach to outstrike Junie. Plus, he should've used his leg kicks more, and that would've frustrated Junie more and possibly opened him up for a KO (which dude might not have been capable of, power-wise). I think Junie's problem was him cutting those last couple of pounds. He was winded, his conditioning was HORRIBLE, and he tired out way to easy. Just imagine having to go 5 5-minute rounds, against an opponent from the UFC like Sean Sherk who goes nonstop, 200 miles an hour the entire fight.
I still don't think it should've been a split decision. I think that that one judge just didn't like Junie.
If Junie wants to keep winning and have any kind of future in MMA, let alone the UFC, then he's going to have to learn how to work, plus mature mentally. I don't think he's going to win the show due to Dana's comments about 'the next Anderson Silva at 155,' but he does have some potential. If he can mature mentally like Chris Leben, then he has a future. He has to learn to work hard, eat right, and train with good coaches. He needs to go to a camp like Greg Jackson's or something. They would help him grow as a man, not just a fighter. Though if he went there, he have to learn to stop running his mouth or he'll get seriously hurt. Sometimes though, I think maybe that's what he needs.
He either needs a serious stomping, or some counseling to resolve whatever issues he's still carrying around with him that makes him act the way he does. I think maybe he's always been told that he's a piece of crap or isn't worth anything possibly by his parents or relatives, maybe made fun of at school, because he has this inferiority complex which makes him feel like he's constantly got to prove himself or tell everyone that he's 'Mr. Bada$s.'
One thing Junie did have was some really good body shots. If he wouldn't have gassed, he would've knocked dude out. And he has to stop letting guys hit him, practically telling him to hit him while pointing at his jaw/cheek. Judges don't like that, nor do most fans, and if he isn't carefull, he get just what he asked for and get knocked out. He's trying to enter what is probably the deepest division in the UFC, and if he wants even a chance, he's going to have to chill out. I think he'll lost to his next opponent, but they'll give him a fight on the finale, and that may be the last we'll see of him in the UFC.
wiggum
10/23/08 12:27:17PM
i dont think we should make any assumptions on junies skill level based on ONE fight were he gassed.....ive watched a few of his fights on the net, and of course the opening one on the show to get him into the house.....he gassed, yeah, but that has nothing to do with actuall skill.....roli is 6'3"....thats a tall guy and reach for lw and it takes time to adjust to that, which showed in the second rd when junie let loose...i also think he clearly won the third rd, i dont know how it was split...time will only tell on this show how good he actually is, but just cuz he went to decision does not discredit his skill, i think those ideas come from more of picking him apart since nobody likes him.....i think hes striking looked good after he adjusted to the reach, pin point and powerful, plus i love seeing body shots, i think theyre underutilized...i agree he should have stopped him, escpially in the second when he dropped him, but instead it looked like junie went for position instead of reigning down punches for the finish...but he basically picked roli apart in the 2nd and third rds even while he was gassed, so i think the criticism just comes from people (myself included) just dont like junie.
fullerene
10/23/08 12:52:39PM

Posted by wiggum

i dont think we should make any assumptions on junies skill level based on ONE fight were he gassed.....ive watched a few of his fights on the net, and of course the opening one on the show to get him into the house.....he gassed, yeah, but that has nothing to do with actuall skill.....roli is 6'3"....thats a tall guy and reach for lw and it takes time to adjust to that.....

I understand your point, but I don't see any justification for walking straight into your opponent (particularly one with reach) with no head movement or footwork, backing straight up after you punch and not bringing your hands back after you throw punches. I think those are fundamental mistakes that aren't specfic to an opponent and which can't always be compensated for by speed and/or power.
wiggum
10/23/08 1:18:21PM
he only did those things after the fight wore on, cardio played into it in my opionon....throw in the fact that he was looking for the ko and those punches werent phasing him, that kind of mindstate leads people to worry less about getting hit...not that i ever want to know whats going on in junies mind, ha
cmill21
10/23/08 1:21:05PM

Posted by wiggum

he only did those things after the fight wore on, cardio played into it in my opionon....throw in the fact that he was looking for the ko and those punches werent phasing him, that kind of mindstate leads people to worry less about getting hit...not that i ever want to know whats going on in junies mind, ha

No he lost the first round by doing those things.
emfleek
10/23/08 1:25:31PM

Posted by Aether

Both fighters were pretty unimpressive in this fight IMO. We'll have to wait a few weeks to see if it was a result of the weight cutting or if his opponent in the prelims was just so bad that he made junie look better than he is.

I second that.
wiggum
10/23/08 1:30:42PM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by wiggum

No he lost the first round by doing those things.

ok, go back to my original statement and then read my follow up statement......i said he had a hard time adjusting to the reach in the first rd....after he adjusted, he started picking the guy apart quite easily...my second statement regarding looking for the ko was in regards to the 2nd and third rds after he gassed.....go back and watch the fight....i doubt too many fighters at theyre level would have fought differently in the second and third rd if they were in junies shoes - gassed and continously catching him....its very easy to pick someones fight apart that you dont like
nickcuc547
10/23/08 1:56:34PM
Junie hits hard, that's about all I got out of that fight.
copcopps
10/23/08 2:38:15PM

Posted by nickcuc547

Junie hits hard, that's about all I got out of that fight.

nothing else really surprised me
Khaos
10/23/08 3:04:34PM
I agree, he looks very good training, but in my opinion his peformance was subpar, and I think Roli should have got thee D.
Kracker_Jap
10/23/08 8:26:51PM
War Junie

He will get better they all do.....

Unless your last name is Thatcher
Ben_Hutch
10/23/08 8:45:35PM
Junie was terrible, people are using the weigh-cutting as an excuse.

What a let-down he was, he should keep his mouth shut until he can back all his sh!t up.
SociopathX
10/23/08 9:31:19PM
Junie is 5 ft 9 and fighting someone who is 6 ft 3... that's a hell of a height and reach advantage... enough to throw him off. Not once in that fight did he look not in control except when he let Roli hit him.

I like his brawling fighting style and still thing he looks to be probably the best lw fighter on the show.
Rush
10/23/08 9:59:35PM

Posted by fullerene
He had no lateral movement, no head movement, no rhythm with his punches and non-existent defense..

You just described a large percentage of TUF participants.
Solidus
10/23/08 10:07:42PM
I didnt see it as Junie adjusting by the second as much as the fact that Roli seemed to use up all his energy in the first. In the first round Roli was getting out of the way of Junies punches and keeping him at a distance with that front kick and jabs. By the second round Roli's hands were down at chest at level and he was barely moving to avoid Junie's bombs. If he had enough gas in the tank and used his jab to keep Junie out of range, throw in some of those kicks, it would have been enough to get the decision.

It was a lackluster fight all together and niether fighter was all that impressive. They would be murdered by any top 155 in the UFC if they fought like that.
Jackelope
10/24/08 1:58:41AM
It's fights like that which make me wish maybe I should have tried out for TUF.

I would have liked to have seen some ground action, though. That way we can get to the bottom of this black belt scenario. As far as I'm concerned it's absolutely scary to think that a person like Delgado owns a gym somewhere and is "training" people to fight. Wow. Just wow. Unless maybe he's got great JJ (which wasn't showcased) and he's only teaching JJ. If that's the case it's fine. If he's teaching striking, though... lord help the children of Arkansas.

Junie looked noticably better than Delgado on the feet, but I wasn't impressed either. He had a couple flashes of brilliance but he never seemed to follow up on them. He wasn't listening to his corner, either. All in all a very poor performance that would get both of these guys practically murdered in the actual UFC.

I hate to be so nit picky but I had high hopes for some of the LW fights this season and so far I'm unimpressed.