Junie Browning attacks nurses treating him for drug overdose

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Junie Browning attacks nurses treating him for drug overdose
Next Page »
BrutalKnockOut
10/7/09 9:10:11PM

Former TUF 8 star Junie Browning attacks male and female nurses trying to treat him for a drug overdose.
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
10/7/09 9:11:13PM
fire him, he's useless for the UFC anyways
Nightmare27
10/7/09 9:15:09PM
This guy is bad news and everybody knows it, including the UFC. They need to give him his walking papers. Although it is what would be best for the organization its still sad to hear of anybody going through anything like this. Hope all goes well in his recovery.
IriShame
10/7/09 9:25:36PM
Cut and run UFC. You should've given up on this kid a long time ago. No offense to him, he's probably a good dude with some problems. I mean hey, we all got problems. But from a business standpoint why hold on to this guy? He's a ****** liability. Bad for business, end of story. Good bye.
Gogoplatapus
10/7/09 9:30:02PM

Posted by BrutalKnockOut

Former TUF 8 star Junie Browning attacks male and female nurses trying to treat him for a drug overdose.

It's not really a overdose if he's trying to kill himself, I don't think anyway. Even though the intention is to overdose. I thought after TUF he straightened himself out. I guess he's got some deep seeded stuff going on. I hope this doesn't end tragically.
prozacnation1978
10/7/09 10:29:47PM
is junie still in the ufc
ChokeUout
10/7/09 11:09:14PM
I will laugh my ass off while cursing at Dana if the UFC keeps him around after he's threatening to rape and murder people. Especially after all the crap he's pulled...

That being said, after watching season 8, I think Dana has a crush on Junie, and even though it's wrong, it will not surprize me in the least if they keep him.
grappler0000
10/7/09 11:51:14PM

Posted by Gogoplatapus

It's not really a overdose if he's trying to kill himself, I don't think anyway. Even though the intention is to overdose. I thought after TUF he straightened himself out. I guess he's got some deep seeded stuff going on. I hope this doesn't end tragically.

It's still an overdose, regardless of the intentions.
higdon10
10/8/09 12:16:57AM
This isnt much of a suprise to me.
UFCmma666
10/8/09 12:19:48AM
this is sad the guy obviously has some issues he was so unhappy he tried to end his life thats something terrible i dont think we need to be talking about how hes not a great fighter or how the ufc doesnt need him
ChokeUout
10/8/09 1:45:39AM
Sinister
10/8/09 1:47:34AM
FAIL
bigbubbano23
10/8/09 2:52:04AM
emfleek
10/8/09 8:39:11AM
Some of you (*and* the UFC) are as cold hearted as can be. The kid obviously needs some serious help and everyone's ragging on him for it and the UFC even cut him for it. That's a formula for making things worse than what they are.

I'm disappointed in the general opinion of Junie's situation. I'm not a fan of him as a fighter, but damn, he's a human being for crying out loud.

Lighten up, people.
FlashyG
10/8/09 8:43:24AM
Made me LOL

Aaronno9
10/8/09 8:58:35AM

Posted by emfleek

Some of you (*and* the UFC) are as cold hearted as can be. The kid obviously needs some serious help and everyone's ragging on him for it and the UFC even cut him for it. That's a formula for making things worse than what they are.

I'm disappointed in the general opinion of Junie's situation. I'm not a fan of him as a fighter, but damn, he's a human being for crying out loud.

Lighten up, people.

While I do hope that Junie can straighten his **** out and get his life on track, you can only give somebody some many chances. I dont care what the situation is, you cant justify assaulting nurses trying to help you. Its absolutly appauling behaviour, full stop.

Its been obvious he needed help since he was exposed on TUF, but he seems to be doing absolutely nothing in regards to getting any. So from that point of view, im with Dana. Although I do feel Dana is partly to blame. Junie wasnt really ready physically as a fighter, or mentally as a person to be fighting in the biggest MMA promotion in the world. So much pressure surely could never of been a good thing for somebody as mentally unstable as Junie Browning.
emfleek
10/8/09 9:11:49AM
I'm not going to blame Junie for *not* getting the help he needs. Denial and refusal of treatment is quite often part of the disease. He needs an intervention, maybe a detainment in a psych ward, medication and a solid support group.

The last thing he needs is people piling on and saying things like "he's worthless" and "he's an idiot", no to mention getting fired from his job.

He's a person first. Fighter second.

And no offense, Aaronno09, but this...

you can only give somebody some many chances

...is absolutely incorrect. Had he murdered, raped, molested someone I might agree. When it comes to mental health, sometimes it takes numerous attempts. You can't just give up on someone. They (the mentally ill) didn't ask to be the way they are.
Aaronno9
10/8/09 10:02:49AM
Fair point. But hes representing the most popular MMA brand out there. They simply cannot be seen to be employing people who go round battering nurses. Mentally ill or not, you cant go round doing what you want and getting into trouble time and time again, and expect nothing to happen. Like I said, I dont think he should ever of been given a place in the UFC so early anyway. It was to much pressure.
emfleek
10/8/09 10:05:53AM

Posted by Aaronno9

Fair point. But hes representing the most popular MMA brand out there. They simply cannot be seen to be employing people who go round battering nurses. Mentally ill or not, you cant go round doing what you want and getting into trouble time and time again, and expect nothing to happen. Like I said, I dont think he should ever of been given a place in the UFC so early anyway. It was to much pressure.

I partially agree. However, I'm of the firm belief that, as an employer, it's your duty to stand by your employee to help them seek the help they need. The UFC *may* have been doing this, I don't know. It just strikes me as odd that a company would sever ties with someone who's in such a fragile state.

It's definitely not going to help matters at all...
cowcatcher
10/8/09 10:23:40AM
im a bleeding heart but im at the point where it looks more like hes an immature kid than someone with a diagnosable mental issue, although i guess you can diagnose anyone with a mental disorder. obviously he wasnt brought up right, thats clear by seeing how his brother acted on the show, and you cant hold that against him, but i know people that came out of terrible situations and still made something of themselves because they dropped the "woe is me" attitude by the time they were out of high school. now you definitely have a point about not firing the guy fleek, he tried to kill himself(maybe he just was crying out for help) and that is NOT grounds for firing, that just means the guy isnt stable and probably needs an evaluation at the least. i just see everything he says and does as immaturity more than anything else and it irritates me more than it makes me feel bad for him, but heres to hoping he finds some kind of peace.
Rush
10/8/09 10:44:58AM
Some may agree and others not, but I feel that fighters of his calibre are a dime a dozen and both the UFC and MMA do not need this kind of publicity. Like any other business in the world, employees that are committing crimes, heavy drug users, etc. should be released.

And to Emfleek, this is not being cold hearted, it's being realistic. It is not a business' position to help these people (their employees) get back on track. There are programs, social workers, friends and family to do that.
scoozna
10/8/09 11:35:29AM
Yahoo! story with quotes from Shawn Tompkins

After reading Tompkins' assessment of Junie I have a lot more compassion for the guy, but essentially still agree with Rush - in the end it's not the UFC's responsibility. As always, I hope the guy can turn his life around, but it won't be easy.
Giant_Ochai
10/8/09 1:12:23PM
Hahaha people defended this guy and even picked him over Cole Miller. Hahahaha. No surprise whatsoever to me. Have fun in prison.
emfleek
10/8/09 1:18:27PM

Posted by Rush

And to Emfleek, this is not being cold hearted, it's being realistic. It is not a business' position to help these people (their employees) get back on track. There are programs, social workers, friends and family to do that.

No, it's cold hearted. When someone's well-being/health is at stake and you say "Adios" because you don't want to deal with it because it's "not my problem" then that, to me, is being cold-hearted.

Sure, there are programs, social workers, etc. But the bigger the support system, the better.
Rush
10/8/09 1:55:18PM
Not that I want to get into the philosophy, ethics and economics of living in the developed world, but essentially living well in the developed world is fundamentally cold hearted (by your definition) because a lot of people in the world get stepped on, used, kicked when they're down, etc. just so we can live well.

This is not a troubled pubescent kid we're talking about here. This is a grown man that should know, fundamentally, right from wrong, yet chooses the wrong path over and over again. At the same time he appears to be making no effort to pick things up in his life. When one refuses to help themselves, any attempt for someone to help them is futile. What is cold hearted about not fighting a battle that cannot be won? When others will be dragged down with the ship, it's not logical for more than one person to suffer in a futile attempt.

That's why I said it is realism. I can't be sorry and help every individual out there (least of all ones that do not want to help themselves) that I am involved with (or not). In my opinion, anyone that says they do or says that someone should is speaking self-righteously from an imaginary high horse.

I'll say it again. I don't think the UFC owes Junie anything in this case and it is only to their detriment if they keep trying to help him if he does not want to help himself.
emfleek
10/8/09 2:06:48PM

Posted by Rush

That's why I said it is realism. I can't be sorry and help every individual out there (least of all ones that do not want to help themselves) that I am involved with (or not). In my opinion, anyone that says they do or says that someone should is speaking self-righteously from an imaginary high horse.

I'm compassionate for sick people. You (and others) may not be. That's your right.
BigBadAl
10/8/09 2:38:25PM
War Machine Mark 2
telnights
10/8/09 3:29:49PM
Junie needs help that the UFC cant give him. Weather you agree with him getting released or not, fighting is the last thing this kid needs to be thinking about. He has issue that need to be dealt with and fighting maybe not be the best field for him.
emfleek
10/8/09 3:32:57PM

Posted by telnights

Junie needs help that the UFC cant give him. Weather you agree with him getting released or not, fighting is the last thing this kid needs to be thinking about. He has issue that need to be dealt with and fighting maybe not be the best field for him.

I agree with that. My only beef, really, is with the timing. To fire the guy at the lowest point in his life just doesn't seem like the right thing to do. It's apparent that he was already "over the edge" and something like this can't help matters AT ALL.
cowcatcher
10/8/09 3:35:37PM
scariest thing to me about this whole thing is that this guy is a trained fighter that is emotionally unstable and has now shown that hes willing to fight a man, a woman , someone helping him, whoever. thats a scary thing and doesnt lend itself to him staying out of trouble after the dust settles on this incident.
Pages: [1] 2