July 19th event confirmed Vera to move to 205

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » July 19th event confirmed Vera to move to 205
RandyCouture
6/17/08 4:47:41PM
MMMAmania has learned today that the UFC will indeed go forward with a Spike TV event on July 19 despite some recent reports that claimed it wasn’t going to materialize.

As we mentioned in our previous report, promising heavyweight prospect Cain Velasquez is expected to compete on the July 19 card against a soon to be announced opponent. Brandon Vera — who we can confidently report is making the drop to light heavyweight — has been asked to headline the event.

Pumped to see Cain and Vera and thoughts on this or good opponets to market the event?

And is this the big news dana white is taking about you think?
grappler0000
6/17/08 4:57:11PM
From what I've read, Wand didn't want to take the fight on such short notice...which is understandable.
MMAcca
6/17/08 5:09:33PM
Why the sudden change of heart from Vera then i wonder........
juanez13
6/17/08 5:10:33PM
i think Vera can defenately shake things up in the division, very well rounded fighter.
RandyCouture
6/17/08 5:11:31PM
i dunno if wandy beat vera he would be in line for the next title shot IMO or put him 1 fight away from it. but who knows vera maybe a beast when he moves down to 205 just like bisping moving down the dude is possessed when he cuts the weight.
Franklinfan47
6/17/08 5:13:08PM
I was surprised to hear it was confirmed, but glad because its already shaping to be an interesting event. I wonder how Vera will do at 205.
grappler0000
6/17/08 5:13:32PM

Posted by MMAcca

Why the sudden change of heart from Vera then i wonder........

I think a main event at 205 is what was offered, so he took it...I'm assuming he has some aggression to work out that only a fight can do.
MMAcca
6/17/08 5:15:06PM

Posted by juanez13

i think Vera can defenately shake things up in the division, very well rounded fighter.

I disagree.

He's not exactly going to be big at LHW, as he's not a huge HW anyway and 205 is THE most stacked division in the UFC.

I just think there's a lot of guys of similar size with much higher skill level and i think he'll become a gatekeeper at best.
Aaronno9
6/17/08 5:15:22PM
Im confused, will this be like a ufn or just a random card??

Glad to see vera finally dropping, kinda reminds me of bisping situation, no point in moving while your winning but now hes dropped two hes making to right decision imo. He always looks podgey at HW, so he should beable to get that extra fat off and make 205 easily. He'll stir things up no doubt, hes got the skills to be a top 5 pretty soon imo.
MMAcca
6/17/08 5:16:58PM

Posted by Aaronno9

Im confused, will this be like a ufn or just a random card??

It's going in direct competition with Affliction's Banned card.
juanez13
6/17/08 5:18:36PM
When in need of a fight in short Notice, Tim Boetsch is your man!!!

seriously, hard to think of possible opponents, maybe Soko, which would make for a great fight...but i just dont know if the upper tier guys in the division are willing to take a big fight in short notice. Maybe hammill (dont know if he is scheduled already), or scrap Alexanders fight, and put him up against vera. which i think is what they'll end up doing, not necessarily Houston alexander, but i think they'll scrap a fight for an upcoming UFC (they've done it in the past) to make this one happen.
ThaAxeMurderer7
6/17/08 5:27:30PM
Stephan Bonnar may be ready. His name is popular amongst casual fans and I think it would be an interesting fight.
hippysmacker
6/17/08 5:27:53PM

Posted by juanez13

When in need of a fight in short Notice, Tim Boetsch is your man!!!

seriously, hard to think of possible opponents, maybe Soko, which would make for a great fight...but i just dont know if the upper tier guys in the division are willing to take a big fight in short notice. Maybe hammill (dont know if he is scheduled already), or scrap Alexanders fight, and put him up against vera. which i think is what they'll end up doing, not necessarily Houston alexander, but i think they'll scrap a fight for an upcoming UFC (they've done it in the past) to make this one happen.

Seriously, I just noticed your AV. A cautionary tale for all.
tylerlee123
6/17/08 5:32:54PM
Who ever Vera gets is going down, mark my words
MMAcca
6/17/08 5:58:59PM
Franklinfan47
6/17/08 6:12:37PM

Posted by MMAcca

Anderson Silva is headlining it...

I'll believe this when its official
MMAcca
6/17/08 6:43:03PM

Posted by Franklinfan47

Posted by MMAcca

It is.

Confirmed by Dana.
Franklinfan47
6/17/08 6:47:39PM

Posted by MMAcca

Posted by Franklinfan47

Posted by MMAcca

It is.

Confirmed by Dana.

Source?

In the link you posted it simply says, "without confirmation from the ufc, it is intriguing nonetheless".
MMAcca
6/17/08 6:53:00PM

Posted by Franklinfan47

Posted by MMAcca

Posted by Franklinfan47

Posted by MMAcca

It is.

Confirmed by Dana.

Source?

In the link you posted it simply says, "without confirmation from the ufc, it is intriguing nonetheless".

Read my first post, i've edited it to include tthe link and the quote from Dana

Here: EDIT: While confirming to SI.com's Nicki Jhabvala that the UFC will indeed be holding a July 19th event featuring Anderson Silva,

Dana also says Anderson Silva WILL LIKELY FIGHT ON BOTH JULY 19TH AND ON SEPTEMBER 6TH'S UFC 88 CARD. I guess no one is expecting James Irvin to pose much of a threat to the middleweight champ.

RandyCouture
6/17/08 9:20:57PM
I got this from MMAmania these are some bouts scheduled
Anderson Silva vs. James Irvin
Frank Edgar vs. Hermes Franca (moved from UFC 87)
Cain Velasquez vs. TBA
Anthony Johnson vs. Kevin Burns

Cain is suspose to fight jake obrian but nothing on vera but hopefully hes on this card this is gona be sweet for like a 3 week notice.
prozacnation1978
6/18/08 7:21:28PM
i am surprised the 180 move to resign obrien to fight cain. i am glad the franca bout will be shown on main card, and i am glad i didn't buy those afflication tickets last month
tracylee
6/19/08 1:00:00PM
Vera needed to drop to light heavy. I'm excited to see his performance!!
tomsmith17381
6/19/08 1:25:20PM

Posted by ThaAxeMurderer7

Stephan Bonnar may be ready. His name is popular amongst casual fans and I think it would be an interesting fight.

i agree that could be an awesome fight im a big bonnar fan