Back at it... Judo blog

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Back at it... Judo blog
richieb19
11/30/07 11:31:20PM
I've recently moved from my home in Southern Ontario to Calgary, Alberta. I was training with Bill Thompson (amazing judo player, he beat the best judoka in Canadian history: Nicholas Gill), and I just looked up some clubs in the Calgary area and found two which have coresponding schedules, which would allow me to attend from Monday to Thursday. So far I've only attended one of the two; Ishi Yama, the other being Hiro's and I must say I'm impressed, one of the senseis was Olympian Keith Morgan, and the other was Canadian Judo Hall of Famer Brad Farrow. A cold has stopped me from going regularly this week, but I can definately see myself devoting myself and much of my time to improve my game and forgive my previous performance at the AmCan tournament in Buffallo. Granted I'm healthy and ready to go soon I will be thrown, armbarred and choked four days out a week.

Rush
11/30/07 11:33:46PM
Sounds cool. I wish I had more time to train. Just don't become a Flames fan while you're out there.
richieb19
11/30/07 11:38:31PM

Posted by Rush

Sounds cool. I wish I had more time to train. Just don't become a Flames fan while you're out there.

I don't see that happening any time soon, although I did buy some flames gloves cause it's getting cold and they were the cheapest on the rack lol...

Where are you from in Canada Rush?
KeNn
12/1/07 12:45:56AM
lol i rep flames all day!!!!

blahh......good luck in judo
richieb19
12/1/07 12:50:20AM

Posted by KeNn

lol i rep flames all day!!!!

blahh......good luck in judo

Did I mention I'm a HUUUUUUGE flames fan???
Iginla is GOD!!!!

lol
KeNn
12/1/07 1:03:48AM
lol IGGY'S the man.

argh i take it you won't be ready in time for the edmonton tournament in the end of january will you?
Mastodon2
12/1/07 6:25:33AM
Nice, I did Judo for a few years back when I was younger, awesome sport. I still remember enough to practically rip someones arm off if the situation ever arises!
richieb19
12/1/07 12:27:16PM

Posted by KeNn

lol IGGY'S the man.

argh i take it you won't be ready in time for the edmonton tournament in the end of january will you?

I'm a little rusty, but I'd be willing to go. Send me a link to it.
Rush
12/1/07 12:50:55PM

Posted by richieb19

I was born and raised in Brantford ON. I moved to Mississauga for ~ 5 years and now I have "settled" in Toronto for about 7 years now.

I will be moving away, probably to the US, in a year to do a post doc fellowship, but I would like to come back to Toronto.
gspgnp
12/1/07 3:44:27PM

Posted by Rush

Posted by richieb19

I was born and raised in Brantford ON. I moved to Mississauga for ~ 5 years and now I have "settled" in Toronto for about 7 years now.

I will be moving away, probably to the US, in a year to do a post doc fellowship, but I would like to come back to Toronto.

I spent some time in the good ole US of A and it didn't take me very long to start missing Canada and got homesick pretty quick. Nothing compares to God's country up here in Canada.
Rush
12/1/07 4:56:36PM
I know I will miss Canada. Man, I feel more like a foreigner in the US than I did in Portugal or Korea.
gspgnp
12/1/07 7:50:44PM

Posted by Rush

I know I will miss Canada. Man, I feel more like a foreigner in the US than I did in Portugal or Korea.

Yeah I kind of figured you would.
I have a lot of friends who moved to the states and felt the same way we do. They all ended up coming back. The outdoors and people here are second to none and we all ended missing it to much. Like i said, God's country.
BTW for all you Americans reading this thread, don't flame! I'm not insulting your country, the USA is actually a really cool place, (all politics aside) We're just say saying that we like our country better.
Rush
12/1/07 8:08:01PM

Posted by gspgnp

Yeah I kind of figured you would.
I have a lot of friends who moved to the states and felt the same way we do. They all ended up coming back. The outdoors and people here are second to none and we all ended missing it to much. Like i said, God's country.
BTW for all you Americans reading this thread, don't flame! I'm not insulting your country, the USA is actually a really cool place, (all politics aside) We're just say saying that we like our country better.

The thing is, IMO, Americans are a lot more different from Canadians than most people realize. It's so different some times that I really feel out of place. I find that there are major differences in work, play, everything. (if anyone wants to know specifics LMK, but I don't want to get this thread going off on a tangent)