Pa. judges accused of jailing kids for cash

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Pa. judges accused of jailing kids for cash
Wolfenstein
2/11/09 6:49:59PM
WILKES-BARRE, Pa. – For years, the juvenile court system in Wilkes-Barre operated like a conveyor belt: Youngsters were brought before judges without a lawyer, given hearings that lasted only a minute or two, and then sent off to juvenile prison for months for minor offenses.

The explanation, prosecutors say, was corruption on the bench.

In one of the most shocking cases of courtroom graft on record, two Pennsylvania judges have been charged with taking millions of dollars in kickbacks to send teenagers to two privately run youth detention centers.

link

Pretty crazy stuff...
soundboy1
2/11/09 7:07:41PM
That is the most screwed up thing I have read in a long time...It makes me wonder how much it goes on in other areas of the county! crazy..........
StorminYourman
2/11/09 7:44:46PM
I believe it !
I think when I am done in family court (which could take years) I could write a book about the bias and bullshiyte that goes on.
It is amazing what judges can do without a jury.
Rollins
2/11/09 10:05:19PM
No surprise here, privately run detention centers are becoming quite popular and profitable and when it comes down to it, judges, prosecutors and police/feds are often just as bad or worse than the people they claim to protect us from.

Some are good but many are slimeballs, they're no better or worse than civilians other than the fact they are in a position of power.... but are subject to abuse it, which in my mind makes them worse than a regular civilian criminal. They deserve no more or less respect than anybody else IMO.

Cops do have tough jobs though and props to the one's that are good hearted people and do their job in a fashion we would expect of a person with such power and privilege, as for as the one's with a reason to power trip and have insecurity issues, no tears here if they meet an untimely demise.
Pookie
2/11/09 10:22:52PM
Wow, i doubt either of those judges make it out of prison alive.