Josh's War With Michelle Beadle Reaches New Heights

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Josh's War With Michelle Beadle Reaches New Heights
BlueSkiesBurn
8/10/11 3:44:10PM
So, I wrote this article for an unnamed sports site that I am employed by and it circulated pretty fast around the internet. Some pretty heavy hitters in the industry responded back to me about the article saying that it was well done and thought provoking. They didn't all "like" it, but not one of them said it wasn't well done. I expect that some people won't like it because of how loved Beadle is, but I thought I'd throw up here for people to read.

Some of you may had read portions of this article before, but man almighty did I add to it.

I am strictly posting the article, not the link, I am not promoting my employer nor am I promoting their site.

ARTICLE

Michelle Beadle has had a slew of problems lately. The outspoken entertainment anchor has once again decided to enter the limelight of controversy. I have problems referring to Beadle as a journalist, because she is far from it, but I’d go as far as to say she’s a media personality. Not long ago I found myself involved in a war of words on Twitter. The topic at hand was my utter frustration with ESPN anchor, Michelle Beadle, regarding her tweets/comments about Michael Vick. Beadle has made it perfectly clear that, under no circumstances, will she ever find herself rooting for Vick again because of his involvement in the dog-fighting ring. As an owner of three cats I can appreciate someone’s genuine abhorrence for this type of behavior. My problem is not with her hatred for these types of activities but, rather, the inconsistency with which she applies this hatred.

I made the following comment on Twitter pertaining to the aforementioned paragraph:

I really wish that @ESPN_Michelle spent as much time complaining about Stallworth, who killed a MAN and is still playing, as she does Vick.

This comment was circulated around Twitter and I eventually found myself replying to an assortment of responses regarding the comment. Some were positive while other were negative. Not that I am shocked by this in the slightest, however.

For those who are unaware of what my comment meant, I shall explain. Donte Stallworth drove drunk one night, hit a man, and killed him. As his punishment, Stallworth was convicted of DUI Manslaughter and sentenced to 30 days in jail, 2 years of house arrest, 1,000 hours of community service, and 8 years probation. Michael Vick, on the other hand, was convicted of running a dog-fighting ring, hanging, drowning, and electrocuting dogs, and received 23 months in federal prison.

I’m not here to debate the sentencing of either individual. My malcontent lies with the on-air and twitter comments of Michelle Beadle. She has consistently found a way to remind the general public of what Vick did in the past. Despite the fact that Vick has, otherwise, turned his life around and become a reformed citizen, Beadle continuously displays her dislike for Vick every time his name is mentioned.

In response to my tweet, Beadle replied with the following gem:

ESPN_Michelle

Lemme know when Donte is a relevant topic today! Vick is everywhere…this is how tv works

I guess that Donte needs to be front-page and center for people to be reminded that he killed a man. He’s allowed to play in the league, attention free of his crimes, as long as he’s not one of the best players on the field. Beadle will post pictures of the mangled dogs from Vick’s estate to remind people of what he did, but she will make no mention of the man that Stallworth ran down while drunk.

Ben Roethlisberger is presently the starting quarterback for the 10-3 Pittsburgh Steelers. He’s leading the pack for one of the premier teams in the NFL, yet his multiple rape accusations are barely mentioned 1/8th as much as Vick’s dog-fighting history.

Beadle apparently believes that if you’re not front and center in the sports world, then your actions don’t deserved to mentioned in the same breath as famous athletes. After trying to point this out to her over and over, I was finally blocked. I guess she was unable to handle someone, intelligently, pointing out to her that her agenda-based reporting was getting real old. From what I understand, she blocked the majority of people who disagreed with her stance on Stallworth being mentioned or Vick being able to own a dog.

Here are a couple of DM’s that Michelle Beadle sent to people during the course of the Twitter campaign against her.

”I am an animal lover. Dogs tend to be better people than a lot of folks.”

”Ha! Lemme know how you and your 132 followers do! Meanwhile I can send you the 1000's of emails and messages I have in support.”

Congratulations ESPN, you’ve hired an anchor who tells people via the internet that she believes that animals are better people than a lot of people out there, and whose best response in an intelligent debate is “I have more followers than you.” If this is the kind of intelligence you’re hiring I, for one, do not feel bad about limiting the amount of ESPN programming I will be watching in the future.

Perhaps it would be wise to encourage your employees to not own a Twitter account if they cannot handle the criticism that they’re going to receive for the open comments they make on the internet. More to the point, what is the point of sending secret messages to people who disagree with you, Michelle, if you’re just going to block them? Do you realize how childish that is? It’s like the petulant teenager that has to have the last word over the phone, so he says something snarky and hangs up.

Michelle Beadle is what is wrong with sports journalism today. She offers too much of her opinion on subjects and not enough objective bias. Regarding America’s opinion regarding Michael Vick should be able to own another dog, Beadle said she was “embarrassed.”

Michelle, we don’t need you to be embarrassed for us. The majority of us are grown adults who have made mistakes in life and recognize the value of being forgiven, as well as, forgiving others. It is our right to say that we think Vick should be given a second chance at animal ownership. More importantly, Michelle, your political-based agenda has forgotten something in all of this; it is Vick’s children that wish to own a dog. What would you have his children do, live their entire childhood without the ability to own a dog because of his crimes? I wasn’t aware that we, as Americans, were still in the business of punishing our children for the sins of the father.

I am not the only one who feels this way. The CEO of the Humane Society believes that Vick should be able to own another dog in the future. He does not believe that he should own one until his probation is complete, but even he believes that Vick should be afforded another chance at owning a pet. Here is a link of his statement regarding Vick and future pet ownership:

PETA

I’m led to believe that the CEO of the Humane Society is in a better position to make an assertion as to Vick’s ability to care for a pet than an anchor for SportsNation. If the CEO of the Humane Society and 70% of America believe that Vick should be afforded another opportunity then who are you, Michelle Beadle, to feel “embarrassed?”

The only embarrassing thing I can find in this entire situation is the number of Twitter users that you blocked because they disagreed with your opinion. You mentioned that you couldn’t handle the “disrespectful” users; well please, Michelle, point out once instance my disrespect for you prior to you blocking me. If you wish to take my comment of “the people who agree with me are Ph.D.’s, J.D.’s and other academics. You know, people who can think for themselves,” as disrespectful, then I suggest you find a new line of work. My comments were leaps and bounds more respectful and logically structured than others I saw directed at you yesterday.

Maybe it was my comment that you were using Strawman arguments that upset you. Having taken law classes, I am sure you know what a Strawman argument entails. I’ll remind you, in case. That’s when you take the weakest point of an individual’s argument and use it as the crux of your argument. Pointing out that I had fewer followers than you and, therefore, not as many people could POSSIBLY agree with me as your “1000's of followers” is a Strawman argument.

You mention that Stallworth is not relevant and should not, therefore, be discussed. I wasn’t aware that an individual’s current relevancy dictated how sports media should paint them. Before Vick even had his break-out season, you have been cutting him down and reminding individuals of what he did repeatedly. You’ve not shared this same enthusiasm for Stallworth’s reinstatement, Big Ben’s leadership of a 1st place team, or a litany of other athlete-related instances. Why aren’t you constantly posting pictures of Tiger’s mistresses on Twitter? Where’s the pictures of Mario Reyes’ family?

America has spoken, Michelle Beadle, they want you to stop your verbal tirades and Twitter campaigns against Vick. If you have thousands of emails of people agreeing with you regarding this subject, that is the forum you should use to address this topic. You should not be using ESPN as a platform to push your political agenda regarding animal rights. We, as viewers, tune in to ESPN to get sporting news. If I wanted to hear a political campaign against Michael Vick, I would attend a PETA rally.

I will never tune in to SportsNation or, for that matter, any show that Michelle Beadle is a part of, again. I encourage ESPN to put an end to the seeming endless tirades of, one, Michelle Beadle against Michael Vick. If they need further evidence that America is tired of her political/personal stance on this issue, they need only ask her to submit her Twitter user name and password to the company. Since she uses ESPN in her username, it is property of the company.

People are tired of it, ESPN, and I encourage you to do something about it. Since I am sure this letter will fall on deaf ears, I am going to circulate it via the internet and let it takes its natural course. I have always been proud of the fact that I could count on ESPN to provide agenda-free sports reporting. That seems to have fallen by the wayside lately. Just because you’re the “worldwide leader in sports,” does not mean you need to give your employees a platform for them to disseminate personal and political laundry. Michelle Beadle ought to be ashamed of herself for her comments and her petulant responses via Twitter to your loyal viewers. Allow this to continue, ESPN, and I’m sure that you’ll find people will stop tuning in all together. Then again, maybe the cancellation of SportsNation which would, thusly, eliminate Beadle’s ability to spew her unreasoning discontent toward Vick might not be such a bad idea after all.

The problems with Michelle Beadle don’t end there. Michelle Beadle threw her coworker under the bus in ESPN’s book. According the book Beadle says that she does not like Erin Andrews and that “everyone who knows [her] knows that." Beadle also admitted that she watched the video of Erin Andrews that was illegally filmed by David Barrett. ESPN’s attorney, David Pahl, issued a strongly worded letter to the original host of the video, Doug Sheckler that stated the following:

I am the General Counsel of ESPN, Inc. It has come to my attention that you have posted on your site pictures of a young, blonde woman at [redacted]. These pictures were obviously taken through a peephole or otherwise in a fashion constituting a trespass/assault on the rights of the woman involved. Your continued posting of these pictures are highly likely to render you an accessory after the fact to a criminal act. We hereby demand that you (i) immediately remove these pictures from your site and (ii) disclose to us the source of the pictures. We intend to hold you fully responsible for further display of material that so obviously violates the law.

Please confirm by return e-mail that you intend to comply with these demands. In the absence of such confirmation we will assume you are an active and willing participant in these acts.

David Pahl

Beadle’s response was to encourage woman-on-woman crime and watch the illegal video. This is awesome, ESPN employees a woman that would freely admit to watching an entirely invasive video that put Erin Andrews through quite a bit of emotional turmoil and she seems to be under the impression that displaying that sort of behavior is okay. Beadle was kind enough to sandwich her insults and abrasive behavior with this gem:

I felt bad for her. She looked fabulous but it was such a violation. I mean, I’ve had moments in my apartment in New York when the blinds were up for one brief second and you think, “Ugh!” but that’s nothing compared to what happened to her. Nothing.

I think things might have been handled differently, but she seems to be moving on. Sometimes these things turn out better for people.

When asked why, if it was such a violation, she watched the video and says she watched it, passed it off with the usual excuse offered by someone caught up in their web of contradictions; “Fine,” she said. “But who didn’t watch that video?”

I didn’t watch that video, Michelle, and most people that have any sort of common decency and respect for someone that had to live through something similar to that, wouldn’t have watched it either. You seem to think it’s justified because tons of other insensitive perverts watched the video as well. I’m here to tell you that it’s not justified. It’s illegal for a reason and your employer, ESPN, took swift action against the people who hosted the video because it was a disgusting display of humanity by a sick and twisted man.

Why stop there with the potshots, Michelle. Of course when asked about Erin Andrews appearances on Dancing with the Stars and Oprah, Beadle had this to say; “Funny how that all worked out.” Yes, I am sure Erin Andrews planned to be violated just so she could advance her career and media personality. There’s nothing “funny” about how it worked out. It’s actually rather unfunny.

Of course, Beadle decides to follow up that act with an “alleged,” amazing, performance at the ESPY’s. Beadle was called into Marcia Keegan’s, ESPN’s Vice President of Content Integration and Strategic Planning, office and asked about the fact that her coworkers were reporting that she was sloppy drunk, on drugs, and making inappropriate comments to people. Of course, Beadle denied all of it, to be fair, who WOULD admit to that to their employer, and demanded to know the names of the coworkers who started these “rumors.” Apparently the Open Door Policy is not something with which Beadle familiar. You’d think that her time spent in pre-law would have made her acutely aware of the fact that you can turn in a co-worker for inappropriate behavior without fear of reprisal.

Allegedly, Beadle was so drunk and out of control that, when talking to Packers QB Aaron Rodgers, she blurted out, “I just want to get f**ked,” rather loudly. Keegan, doing the right thing, would not bow down to the incensed Beadle and refused to, and rightly so, give her the names of the co-workers that made these claims. Deadspin claims that another source that was there was also witness to this stunning display of tact and dignity and heard it as well. The source claims that Rodgers shot her down and Beadle went to sleep with his teammate, Clay Matthews, instead. Beadle claims that she only talked to Matthews at the ESPY party and that he was pulled away. Really Michelle, care to explain this video after the ESPY’s were over?

Video from ESPY's

Beadle, of course, sticks to her guns and said that any possibility of that happening was not true. Her response to all of this was; “That’s insane,” Beadle said. “I live a much more interesting life in other people’s minds.” She also took the opportunity to throw Erin Andrews underneath the bus again to divert attention from her. Regarding a possible relationship between Rodgers and Andrews, Beadle had this to offer up:

“I’d heard that rumor about those two [Rodgers and Andrews], but I don’t know if it’s true,” Beadle said. “I certainly didn’t say whatever it is I supposedly said to Aaron Rodgers because of that. This is just ridiculous. It makes me so angry.”

I guess it’s “funny” how nothing said about Beadle is true, but it’s even “funnier” how things have worked out for other women personalities at ESPN. Congratulations ESPN, you’ve stuck by woman that has thrown her coworker under the bus on more than one occasion, admitting to watch a video that you ORDERED to be taken off the net, has admitted she doesn’t like Erin Andrews, participated in the perpetuation of rumors about Andrews, and reportedly screamed out her sexual fantasies to a professional athlete at one of your premier events. Did I mention you’ve done all of this while throwing Bruce Feldman under the bus for handling everything with dignity and class. Feldman took every possible measure to ensure that his work with Mike Leach was done by the book and you threw him under the bus while standing by this charade of an act. Michelle Beadle has no business being an on-air personality after some of her comments and stunts. Stand by people that actual contribute to the world of sports, ESPN, not some hack-job hottie that constantly has problems. I wouldn’t worry, though, ESPN; Michelle is gonna get to the bottom of whomever is “slandering” her. “We’ll find them,” she said, “some people like to talk a lot.”

Information for this article was used from Deadspin.com, image courtesy of web-images.com

Chael_Sonnen
8/10/11 5:56:22PM
Michelle who
emfleek
8/10/11 6:02:48PM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Michelle who

The annoying co-host of Sports Nation on ESPN.
kopower
8/10/11 6:38:13PM
She sounds like an idiot. Are her only credentials being somewhat good looking to land her a job at ESPN? Glad I've never watched her show or listened to her speak before. Nice post Josh. Keep up the good work
pmoney
8/10/11 6:40:47PM
Damn brah! That's a great article. I haven't got to watch ESPN in forever, save for a little late night SportsCenter, so I've been in the dark regarding these issues. I used to think Michelle Beadle was funny, mostly because of her and Colin Cowherd's affinity for Ron Burgundy references. But in light of all these facts, she really seems like a jealous, hypocritical whorebag.

I have yet to watch the video from the ESPY's, but I will. Keep putting those on blast who need it sir! Well played.
Ordep
8/11/11 1:09:28AM
It was awkward when they were revealing the Madden cover and Vick was there