Josh Thomson's injury not fully healed, bout with Gilbert Melendez may be in jeopardy

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Josh Thomson's injury not fully healed, bout with Gilbert Melendez may be in jeopardy
scobac
7/27/09 6:06:01PM
Strikeforce lightweight Josh Thomson's (16-2) broken leg has not completely healed, and his Aug. 15 bout in San Jose, Calif., with interim title holder Gilbert Melendez (15-2) may now be in jeopardy.
Link
slapshot
7/27/09 6:10:47PM
If I was The Punk, Id be playing that card up too because Id know ( just like he dose) Melendez is going to walk in that cage and try to kill me.
jay98107
7/27/09 6:34:20PM

Posted by slapshot

If I was The Punk, Id be playing that card up too because Id know ( just like he dose) Melendez is going to walk in that cage and try to kill me.

Too bad Thomson will wreck Melendez for five straight rounds when they fight again, just like he did the first time.
Mayhem13
7/27/09 7:14:29PM
Damn this card is taking all kinds of hits.

Overeem off.
Riggs off.
Thomson off.

The addition of Babalu and Mousasi helps out for sure, and if they get Rogers to step in for Overeem that will also help.

Dunno about the Diaz fight though...Babalus may be replacing it? Or maybe he will fight Heiron or Daley
slapshot
7/27/09 7:43:48PM

Posted by jay98107

Posted by slapshot

Too bad Thomson will wreck Melendez for five straight rounds when they fight again, just like he did the first time.

Too bad for you wishing it so, doesn't make it so. Because if it did then that would make you right.
scobac
7/27/09 7:52:44PM

Posted by slapshot

Posted by jay98107

Posted by slapshot

Too bad for you wishing it so, doesn't make it so. Because if it did then that would make you right.

whaaat?
"ching chong ching chung chang"
Twenty20Dollars
7/27/09 10:26:46PM
Im just wondering why Thomson's is saying this now and not earlier. Could have said something early to get gilbert and the org time to adjust to a new opponent.
prozacnation1978
7/27/09 10:34:19PM
damm 3 of 4 title gone now i would be asking for my money back if i was going what do you expect from strikeforce
Amigop
7/27/09 11:57:14PM
if thompson pulls out they should try to set up Gomi vs. melendez
cowcatcher
7/27/09 11:58:09PM

Posted by Amigop

if thompson pulls out they should try to set up Gomi vs. melendez

i love that idea
Jackelope
7/28/09 12:10:32AM
I dunno about the whole "Thomson ducking him" idea. This sounds kind of like the Varner vs. Cowboy thing. Dude wrecks a guy for practically all of their first fight and people accuse him of ducking.

I'd bet it's something more along the lines of Thomson going through his training expecting his leg to heal up better throughout camp, and sure enough it doesn't. I'm sure Thomson wants to get in there and get paid just as much as Melendez, Cerrone or Varner does.

Pity for Strikeforce that this is all going down the way it is. Pity for us fans, too. This fight was going to be great, as were all the others that have been scrapped.
DCRage
7/28/09 10:40:35AM
Still on for now, according to Thomson via The UG:

Dude, Im fighting unless something happens to my big toe again. LOL If ya got anything from my dam radio interview is was that im gonna nut up an fight this fight cuz I dont know a fighter who hasnt fought without an injury. I wasnt a 100% the 1st time an I wont be this time but sometimes you just have to have a lil faith in God an myself to pull me through. Enough said, Im fighting an thats the end of this post!

http://www.cagepotato.com/josh-thomson-still-dealing-injured-leg-says-rematch-melendez-will-go

Now of course this is from an internet message board, so apply the proverbial salt.