Josh Thomson fight against KJ Noons reportedly in the works for Strikeforce on April 11

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Josh Thomson fight against KJ Noons reportedly in the works for Strikeforce on April 11
Twenty20Dollars
2/10/09 8:10:35PM
linkage

During a conference call today to promote the upcoming Strikeforce event at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, California on Showtime on April 11, the promoters hinted at a possible title fight between their 155 pound champion Josh “The Punk” Thomson (16-2) and former EliteXC lightweight title holder KJ Noons (7-2).

Thomson captured the Strikeforce world title in June with a unanimous decision over then champion Gilbert “El Nino” Melendez at Strikeforce: “Melendez vs. Thomson.” He’s fought once since then - a non-title bout against Ashe Bowman (first round technical knockout win) at “Strikeforce at the Mansion II” in September.

The Punk is a worthy champion with a extremely versatile attack. Twelve of his sixteen career wins have been by some form of stoppage (4 technical knockouts and 8 submissions). He holds notable career wins over Duane “Bang” Ludwig, “Razor” Rob McCullough, Hermes Franca, Nam Phan and Melendez.

The predicted match with Noons will be his first official title defense.

Noons became the first ever Elite XC 160 pound champion in November of 2007 with a first round technical knockout win over Nick Diaz at Elite XC: “Renegade.” He successfully defended his belt seven months later at “Return of the King” with a first round stoppage over experience veteran Yves Edwards.

The powers that be at EliteXC decided after that match to book a rematch between Noons and Diaz for the title, but Noons felt that Diaz was undeserving of another shot at his gold, as well as the fact that he felt disrespected by the organization for the way he was being treated.

After weeks of disagreement between the two sides, the promotion decided the best thing to do was to strip Noons of his belt and move in another direction.

“King” Karl was rumored a few weeks back to be signing with the Ultimate Fighting Championships, but that rumor was put to rest with Strikeforce acquiring Noons’ contract from the defunct Pro Elite. KJ hasn’t competed in a professional mixed martial arts match since then.

However, he did take a pro boxing match in November and scored a decisive unanimous decision victory over Alejandro Bogarin. He’s currently riding a three fight winning streak in MMA with all three bouts ending with a (technical) knockout.
nickcuc547
2/10/09 8:19:16PM
thomson will dominate kj, i hope he takes his arm for a nice ride.
Aether
2/10/09 8:30:01PM
KJ gets no love from me. "king".... pfffft.
EvenFlow
2/10/09 8:42:38PM
I see Josh dominating and taking away his will to fight submitting from strikes, GSP/Serra 1 stylee
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
2/10/09 8:52:42PM
5 rounder right?
I will take thompson to finish with gnp or in between round stoppage similar to bj /gsp 2
cmill21
2/10/09 8:59:23PM
I'll take JT by Arm bar like hughes GSP 1...
StriderXero
2/10/09 9:18:32PM
JT wins this via JUDO CHOP
wrona666
2/10/09 9:28:34PM
SWEET!!! Looking forward to seeing noons getting is asss whooped
higdon10
2/10/09 9:28:43PM
I thought I read that KJ Noons signed with the UFC not to long ago???
prozacnation1978
2/10/09 9:45:33PM
i hope the punk roughs him up good
scooter19820
2/11/09 1:23:39AM
Thomson by death and pound.
jay98107
2/11/09 1:59:04AM
Thompson via being a truly top 10 fighter instead of the product of a hype machine.
wiggum
2/11/09 10:15:23AM
Aside from any freak cut, injury or yves edwards type kick, josh thompson will dominate this entire fight forever how long it lasts.....kj is one dimensional boxer with decent takedown defense, and honestly i dont think his boxing is all its hyped up to be......i actually think jt will have the striking advantage, hes an underatted kickboxer......jts wrestling is awesome and he's pretty good with the bjj......two things that kj has none of......i hope and predict jt stopping kj in the first, jt is a top 10 lw in my book...while kj is just a pretender believing his own hype.....but that pretender puts on an exciting show everytime and so does jt so this should be fun!
DCRage
2/11/09 10:34:11AM

Posted by higdon10

I thought I read that KJ Noons signed with the UFC not to long ago???

Trying to find exact details about why, but it never happened.

Edit: It was because Strikeforce acquired his contract. He did boxing in the meantime (1 fight, he won by TKO).
loller90278
2/11/09 3:58:33PM
i'm picking KJ by tko. the guy gets too much hate for not wanting to fight diaz again.