Can Josh Neer Win Tonight?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Can Josh Neer Win Tonight?
TWITA
9/17/08 9:38:44AM
I don't know why but I really want to pick Neer tonight. I know that if this fight even touches the mat, Nate will get the sub. However, I believe that Neer can hurt Nate in the standup and potentially rock/KO him as I don't think Nate has ever faced someone who can hit as hard as Neer. What do you think - can Neer aviod a sub and KO Nate tonight?
Aether
9/17/08 9:47:52AM
short answer - yes.

longer answer - I had Nate picked at first, and I'm still really back and forth on this fight, but basically how I see it is if it stays standing Neer is clearly more skilled, whereas if it goes to the ground Diaz is clearly more skilled. Since Neer is a much stronger guy and has been in with and not only survived, but controlled guys like Stevenson at 170, that the fight takes place wherever he wants it to, and unless he makes a stupid mistake and goes to the ground with Nate, he should be able to take it.
DCRage
9/17/08 10:08:50AM
I picked Neer by split decision. I think he can although part of me is stubborn about picking Nate-I don't hate him (part of me likes him) but I guess I still can't accept him fully yet as TUF 5 winner.
TWITA
9/17/08 10:11:58AM
The one thing that scared me about the standup aspect was the size differential between Neer and Diaz at the weigh-ins yesterday. Nate will definitely have a height and reach advantage. I just switched my pick to Neer but I'm also feeling like gambling today ....
chickmagnet
9/17/08 11:23:50AM
Yes, if he can keep it on the feet, no doubt, he was able to handle Guillard who is one of the hardest hitters at LW. If Josh fights his fight he'll win.
copcopps
9/17/08 11:27:02AM
I officially switch my pick to Neer, underdog bonus too good to pass up and I think Neer has the right idea that the Diaz bros. are pretty similar. I think Neer learned what he did wrong in the Nick fight so I thiunk he'll UD Nate since both Diazs tend to not score points
prozacnation1978
9/17/08 12:12:58PM
i have nate winning but i wouldn't be surprised if neer eeks out a decision win
Mchubb316
9/17/08 12:40:57PM
Neer most certainly can win tonight. Nate is on a roll, but I think Neer can finish Nate. I am looking forward to this fight, it should be a good one.
Wolfenstein
9/17/08 12:48:58PM
Josh can win this fight, but I think it's unlikely. I don't think Neer has as significant an advantage on the feet as people are making it out to be. If Nate lets his hands go like in the Hermes Franca fight Josh is going to struggle in every aspect of the game. I don't see Neer making it past round 2.
Aaronno9
9/17/08 1:15:22PM
I think nates going to get k.o'd in the second round, its more of a question of how he'll win in my mind at this point.
Khaos
9/17/08 3:44:29PM
yes, definately, I think Neer will TKO him in the 3rd, but my pick in Neer by UD.
breakdown5
9/17/08 5:13:30PM
Neer will take this one by UD I believe. As long as he doesn't fall into Diaz's guard, he's good.
Svartorm
9/18/08 1:12:35AM
I took Neer and honestly thought he was totally robbed in that fight. Not sure how the judges awarded the first round to Diaz, as Neer basically smoothered him for the first 3 minutes, and only had a hiccup when Diaz took his back, but that shouldn't have been enough to win the round. I really didn't like much of the judging tonight, although I did agree with the Belcher decision.
GrizzlyChadams
9/18/08 3:12:52AM
What fight were you watching? It was all Diaz the entire fight. He dominated the ground and on the feet.
MFOTHER
9/18/08 1:24:49PM

Posted by Svartorm

I took Neer and honestly thought he was totally robbed in that fight. Not sure how the judges awarded the first round to Diaz, as Neer basically smoothered him for the first 3 minutes, and only had a hiccup when Diaz took his back, but that shouldn't have been enough to win the round. I really didn't like much of the judging tonight, although I did agree with the Belcher decision.

neer controlled maybe the first min or two of th efight. After that it was all nate. Neer did impress me with his defense, and throwing up subs, but nate looked awesome.

how can you ay he was robed when neer himself shook his head when they announced his name.

maybe your just arguing that neer won the first? cause overall it was a decisive win.
Aether
9/18/08 7:19:37PM
it depends on what criteria you judge the fight on. Under UFC judging, yeah Diaz definitely won. I think that effort to finish the fight should be the most important criteria though, and I think this is probably the viewpoint svartorm is taking. Under PRIDE rules Neer would have almost definitely won the fight. He won the first round and lost the second, I think that's pretty clear cut, but the third round is where the difference of opinion comes into play.

Nate had "dominant position" which I think is kind of an antiquated notion at this point in MMA. A guy just being on top shouldn't mean he's winning the fight, lots of jiu-jitsu practitioners prefer to work off their backs. The problem is that during the third round even though he was on top, he was the one constantly defending. For 5 straight minutes he was just escaping from Neer's constant attacks. So should Nate get the points because he "controlled" the pace of the fight and successfully defended, or should Neer get them because he was constantly attacking?

I don't think that Neer got robbed, because we all know how the UFC scores by this point. If you're on top, you're winning and takedowns are hugely overemphasized (also why Guida won IMO, he really did no damage at all after getting them) so I don't really think that he got "robbed" but I do think that the UFC needs a revision of their scoring system.

Actually forget revision, they need a complete overhaul, and judges who are highly experienced in MMA, not guys like cecil peoples who only know karate/kickboxing.
slapshot
9/19/08 3:56:46AM
Pride rules or UFC rules Nate did and would have won that Fight. Its hard for me to believe anyone saying anything else is not just a Diaz hater or straight up trolling.

The only round I have Neer winning is the second, First was closer but Diaz pulled it out and the third was all Nate.
Aether
9/19/08 3:05:49PM
Go watch Nogueira vs Rodriguez and then tell me that PRIDE judges would score that fight in favour of Diaz. It's got nothing to do with liking or disliking anyone. I never let my personal dislike of someone cloud the logic I use to make points. I also don't dislike either fighter. Judges in both organizations score fights completely differently.

Like I already said, under UFC judging criteria, Nate clearly won the fight.
slapshot
9/21/08 10:20:17PM

Posted by Aether

Go watch Nogueira vs Rodriguez and then tell me that PRIDE judges would score that fight in favour of Diaz. It's got nothing to do with liking or disliking anyone. I never let my personal dislike of someone cloud the logic I use to make points. I also don't dislike either fighter. Judges in both organizations score fights completely differently.

Like I already said, under UFC judging criteria, Nate clearly won the fight.

And like I said he would have won it using the pride judging criteria as well.