Josh Koscheck Returns at UFC 139, Possibly Fighting at Middleweight

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Josh Koscheck Returns at UFC 139, Possibly Fighting at Middleweight
FastKnockout
8/21/11 8:55:59PM
The long road back to the Octagon for former welterweight title contender Josh Koscheck appears to have a destination.

Link
FastKnockout
8/21/11 8:59:47PM
More then likely Stephan Bonnar. Don't know who else it could be.
Budgellism
8/21/11 9:12:22PM

Posted by FastKnockout

I'd be interested in that. Bonnar would be huge though. I'm thinking it's going to be Akiyama or Herman.
Chael_Sonnen
8/21/11 9:38:03PM
Bonnar would have to cut off a leg to make 185.
jae_1833
8/21/11 9:53:53PM
Bummer, I wanted to see him fight the winner between Diego and Hughes or the winner of Story and Kampmann.
Patchedup15
8/21/11 10:28:06PM

Posted by FastKnockout

i think his stop at MW isn't to settle a score.. just to mix things up.. test the waters or something
bjj1605
8/21/11 10:42:20PM
duh. Chirs Leben.
FastKnockout
8/21/11 10:49:52PM

Posted by bjj1605

duh. Chirs Leben.

Leben is riding high coming off his win over Silva. I doubt they'd set that fight up.
KoldKhaos
8/21/11 10:59:41PM

Posted by bjj1605

duh. Chirs Leben.

You musta forgot that Leben is already facing Munoz at UFC 138.
Sir_Karl
8/21/11 11:52:29PM
I like Kos but I am not sure he will be able to hang with the 185lbers. Find out soon enough I guess. He could have a chance if he would turn back into the wrestler....instead of being the boxer.
prozacnation1978
8/22/11 8:17:12AM
I wouldn't be suprised if he doesn't fight as middleweight
If he does ed herman is a big possibility . He could wind up facing brian ebersole or even akiyama at welter
cowcatcher
8/22/11 9:57:55AM
It can't be Bonnar. I'd like for it to be him, but it's not realistic unless they fought at Franklin-weight(195), and even then I don't love Bonnar's chances of making weight. I have no idea who they are thinking of putting him in there with at this point, and I'm interested to see what shakes out here.
Kpro
8/22/11 10:33:35AM

Posted by cowcatcher

It can't be Bonnar. I'd like for it to be him, but it's not realistic unless they fought at Franklin-weight(195), and even then I don't love Bonnar's chances of making weight. I have no idea who they are thinking of putting him in there with at this point, and I'm interested to see what shakes out here.

I think I just posted this in another thread yesterday but Bonnar said in the UFC 101 Post Fight Show (after his 3rd loss in a row at LHW) that he was dropping to Middleweight but the UFC wanted him to rematch Kryzstof instead.

Yeah it's been 2 years and 2 fights since the comments but if he was prepared and confident he could do it then, age 34 vs. 32 shouldn't make too big of a difference. He definitely looks too big to make the cut but if he and is camp are confident they can do it and were prepared to that recently I'd have to think that he probably could make it. As far as the toll it might take on him, I'm not going to get into that part of it.
cowcatcher
8/22/11 10:40:55AM
The toll it would take on Bonnar's ability to perform is part of being able to make weight to me, so even if he did get to 185, it's as much about being able to perform after the weigh ins as much as it's about making 185. I hope he can make it, but I have serious doubts about it.
Hendo67
8/22/11 11:14:03AM
What is Bonnars walking weight? I'm not saying he can't cut, i just don't think it would be smart for him to do so, i mean look what happened to Goran Reljic.
Bubbles
8/23/11 12:57:39PM
i think there are far more interesting matchups at WW than MW. i think this might be something temporary until Fitch gets, and loses, the title shot.

there is nothing wrong with being the #3 WW in the world if he stays there
ghandikush
8/23/11 1:01:08PM
Kos would have a much easier time at 185 imo. He is a big enough 170 and not very much grappling prowess in that division. He cant try to stand though. Alves, Shields, and Fitch should all follow suit though. I mean I think both Shields and Fitch would be able to lay Silva to defeat. Alves would hurt the slower 185ers.