Josh Koscheck: UFC offered me BJ Penn fight and I said YES!

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Josh Koscheck: UFC offered me BJ Penn fight and I said YES!
Budgellism
5/17/12 2:08:31AM
Former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Welterweight title challenger Josh Koscheck took to Twitter tonight and spilled the beans on the next fight he was offered by UFC Matchmaker Joe Silva ... none other than B.J. Penn. You know, the guy who is supposedly retired from the sport.

#UFC just offered me to fight BJ Penn...I said YES!!!!! Just waiting on him!!!!!! Let's scrap bra?

LINK
Pookie
5/17/12 2:24:43AM
Koscheck had major trouble avoiding Matt Hughes Jab. Just saying
Wallass
5/17/12 2:56:30AM
Kos is real eager to get knocked out isn't he?
lohmann
5/17/12 3:01:00AM
Koscheck got a lot of hate for refusing to fight teammates but otherwise he is willing to poke somebody in the eye at any time and anywhere.

Posted by Pookie

A rare instance where I think MMAth applies. Penn opened up fast and landed a shot that flattened Hughes early but Koscheck was being soundly outstruck before capitalizing on that weak chin. I think Penn will locate just as efficiently as Hughes, just with more power.
Adrenaline
5/17/12 3:09:59AM
Awesome news if true. Not even joking, a little part of me died when BJ said he wouldn't fight again. Rather he was at 155 but atleast its an interesting fight.
Pookie
5/17/12 4:11:47AM

Posted by lohmann

Posted by Pookie

A rare instance where I think MMAth applies.

This is my greatest gift.
Travesty145
5/17/12 4:24:55AM
koscheck wins
Bubbles
5/17/12 7:34:05AM
I have Koscheck all day in this fight. I'll even av bet on it
FastKnockout
5/17/12 8:44:57AM

Posted by Bubbles

I have Koscheck all day in this fight. I'll even av bet on it

I have Koscheck winning, too. Penn is getting on up there in his career. Wear and tear, cardio issues, lack of motivation, long layoff, etc. I don't like either guy but I feel Koscheck is the safer choice.
sparky
5/17/12 8:53:28AM
I love this fight I honestly think If Kos doesnt try and take BJ down Penn will either KO or Sub him out
Dberntson
5/17/12 9:12:23AM
Kos wins by UD. He'll take Penn down the first round and each subsequent round there after.
icantthinkofanything
5/17/12 9:47:47AM
this should be an awesome fight. Bj should have the striking advantage like he did against Diaz, but won't have the cardio to go 3 or 5 rounds with Kos on the ground. I want bj to be at 155, but this fight works for me.
jjeans
5/17/12 9:58:22AM

Posted by Dberntson

Kos wins by UD. He'll take Penn down the first round and each subsequent round there after.

Oh yeah just like Fitch did...

As a Koscheck and BJ fan, I think that's an outstanding claim to make
ghandikush
5/17/12 10:46:57AM
This and alves vs penn are fantasy fights for me. Penn will flatten Kos. The question is whether Koschecks cardio will save him once he gets hurt bad.

Kos throws only scrappy telegraphed hooks and overhands. Hughes was dominating the first round. Penn has more power that Hughes, more technique, better chin.

Boo_Radley21
5/17/12 11:10:47AM
I'd rather see him rematch Fitch first rather than fight Koschek
KungFuMaster
5/17/12 11:56:01AM
Koscheck will be in deep waters no matter where this fight goes.

Standing favors Penn.

Kos can take Penn down but he does not have the brute strength like GSP to nullify the jiu jitsu control and attacks from Penn.

I'm picking Penn by second round KO.
icantthinkofanything
5/17/12 1:49:05PM
I would add my pick and the following rant. Bj could be the first to knock out Kos, he has power and more accuracy and speed than other fighters who have been taggin Kos with jabs uppercuts and hooks a lot recently. I would pick Bj but Bj really needs to go to a good camp, because Kos can find a way to win

Kos can take anyone down, but rarely tries to because he wants the ko.
No one can take Penn down, so it all comes down to BJ's cardio fighting at 170, when we all know if he was able to cut weight like these pro weight cutters in the sport, he could fight at 145, but he is a fighter and not an athlete although Bj has that natural talent which makes up for his endurance. He uses so much explosive power and fighter emotion in the first round, that he doens't do well in latter rounds. If Bj kept his gas tank up for 2 minutes and 50 seconds or so longer in the diaz fight, he could have won a ud 30-28, or a draw easily (if 3rd was a 10-8), which only happens when one guy lands nothing, but Bj was throwing on empty until the end of round 3. and he didnt quit vs GSP, there was grease gate and than his corner threw in the towel and he would have continued but didn't question his corner because he had no energy too.
FastKnockout
5/17/12 1:53:45PM
"Bj could be the first to knock out Kos"

You're forgetting about Paulo Thiago. Koscheck recovered quickly but he was out for 2-3 seconds.
Aether
5/17/12 1:54:57PM
Sounds like yet another fight which he should win relatively easily with wrestling, but will lose when he decides to try to strike with a way, way better striker instead.
Poor_Franklin
5/17/12 2:05:28PM
if Penn is motivated, Penn wins easy. If not, Koscheck wins UD
I-GOT-THIS-PICK
5/17/12 2:13:00PM
I think Penn can put it on him but would not be surprised if Kos holds him down for 15 min or tries to tire Penn out then knock his head off
george112
5/17/12 2:16:08PM
Really am surprised by some of these comments .

Koscheck wins this either standing or on the ground.

Penn is one of those guys that used to be really really good and now he is just slightly better then most.

Koscheck on the other hand is getting really good. I say this and I'm not even a fan. He took some big shots against hendricks and dealt out his own share too.

IF this fight is fought the right way by Koscheck his strength and speed will be a little more than Penn can handle at this point in Penns career.

Would be no prob for Penn 4-5 years ago or maybe even 3-4 but not now . Not from what ive seen as of late
Budgellism
5/17/12 2:58:07PM

Posted by george112

There's no way Koscheck wins this fight on the feet. Koscheck's stand up is grossly overrated imo. Penn's stand up is very technical and he'll pick Koscheck apart all night long if he's given the chance.

Although he's most likely going to have a hell of a hard time doing it, Koscheck's strategy should be to get the takedown at all costs and not give Penn a chance to work his guard. From there try to wear Penn down by constantly making him think. Use a lot of body shots and mix in some shots to the head while maintaining a solid base. Once Penn is tired his takedown defence will become sloppier and so will his striking. That's Koscheck's path to victory imo. It'll be very difficult to execute it though.
george112
5/17/12 3:07:29PM

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by george112

There's no way Koscheck wins this fight on the feet. Koscheck's stand up is grossly overrated imo. Penn's stand up is very technical and he'll pick Koscheck apart all night long if he's given the chance.

Although he's most likely going to have a hell of a hard time doing it, Koscheck's strategy should be to get the takedown at all costs and not give Penn a chance to work his guard. From there try to wear Penn down by constantly making him think. Use a lot of body shots and mix in some shots to the head while maintaining a solid base. Once Penn is tired his takedown defence will become sloppier and so will his striking. That's Koscheck's path to victory imo. It'll be very difficult to execute it though.

Nah like I said 3-4 years ago I would buy that. Hell even 2 at LIGHTWEIGHT not welterweight

Kos will be ok on the feet. But I do agree he needs to utilize the takedown.
MMAcca
5/17/12 3:14:08PM
Hopefully Koscheck doesn't utilise the finger jab too much.........
Pookie
5/17/12 3:20:37PM
Ill take any of those Avatar Bets in a second. This fight will look like Penn v. Diego but with Penn having to defend less takedowns.
prophecy033
5/17/12 3:26:22PM

Posted by Boo_Radley21

I'd rather see him rematch Fitch first rather than fight Koschek

THIS
Bubbles
5/17/12 5:44:11PM

Posted by Poor_Franklin

if Penn is motivated, Penn wins easy. If not, Koscheck wins UD

do we determine this before or after the fight. He always seems to be motivated before the fight takes place