Josh Koscheck

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Josh Koscheck
nickcuc547
10/26/08 3:22:52PM
I have to say I wasn't a big fan of Kos until the last couple of weeks. He deserves a ton of credit for taking a fight with a guy like Alves on short notice. Plus he proved a lot in terms of heart and toughness. He took some big shots from Thiago and kept coming and throwing (and landing) himself. To top it all of he was very gracious in defeat giving Alves a lot of respect. Props to Kos, he will be right back in the title picture soon enough.
dannyfrank
10/26/08 3:31:15PM
yeah, kos urned some more of my respect last night. i still dont like his though
aaa9erh8er
10/26/08 4:52:52PM
i agree that to take afight on such short notice against a guy like alves is impressive and it shows his determination to be the best. also that he was a gracious looser. i also think he has matured as a fighter and a person so much over the past year or so. i really wasnt a fan after tuf 1 i could honeslty say i dislicked him but man its hard to hate him now lol. i hope the best for him and agree he will be back in the title pic soon
cmill21
10/26/08 4:56:35PM
Props, I agree.
haggiswashere
10/26/08 4:57:48PM
but didn't alves take it on short notice too...?
HMA123
10/26/08 5:01:13PM
Personally i dont like Kos, but lemme tell you, he gained ALOT of respect from me last night, the shots he was taking, knees.kicks,punches, everything. And in the end he was still standing, better yet fighting like nothing hit him. Much much respect to him.
Biggz
10/26/08 5:58:34PM
i think everyone can agree that even if Kos is not your favorite fighter or person, he gained alot of respect in everyones book! i understand that Alves also took the fight on two weeks notice but Alves was already training and was in "fight mode" he already started a training camp and mentally was much farther along than Kos. but i think that Alves would give GSP a great fight!
JulesWinnfield
10/26/08 6:00:04PM

Posted by nickcuc547

I have to say I wasn't a big fan of Kos until the last couple of weeks. He deserves a ton of credit for taking a fight with a guy like Alves on short notice. Plus he proved a lot in terms of heart and toughness. He took some big shots from Thiago and kept coming and throwing (and landing) himself. To top it all of he was very gracious in defeat giving Alves a lot of respect. Props to Kos, he will be right back in the title picture soon enough.

Word! I couldn't have said anything different myself. KOS earned my respect big time last night!
cj_striker
10/26/08 11:22:03PM
Yeah Kos showed major heart and great recoup abilities, much like his boy Fitch in the GSP fight. I like everyone else couldn't stand Kos after TUF 1, but as Rogan and Goldberg pointed out tonight he said he acted like that to get his name out there, you know have people notice him so he got a lot of air time and it worked. Kos if a great fighter and AFTER Alves, him, Fitch (although he beat Alves, he had his shot and has to work back in it), and Diego are going to have to battle it out to see who will be the next #1 contender. I personally feel Kos and Diego should be made to fight again to see the next #1 contender then if Alves loses to GSP or Penn whoever it maybe, then Alves and Fitch need a rematch to see who would be next in line. But back on subject, ever since Kos' first fight after TUF I have loved his work ethic and constant learning and growing inside the octagon and will continue to root for him especially after his performance tonight.
tooly236
10/26/08 11:24:35PM
Yes, I agree. I have never been a big fan Josh, but last night he showed grit. Props to him
Sam_Rothstein
10/26/08 11:39:44PM

Posted by haggiswashere

but didn't alves take it on short notice too...?

no he was supposed to fight diego sanchez during that fight which is a similar strategy, he didnt wan't to go to the ground with sanchez either so im sure he spent a lot of time working on takedown defense
GrizzlyChadams
10/27/08 12:09:00AM
He's been my favorite fighter for quite a while now and I was quite surprised at how well he did last night with his stand up. People keep saying it's improved but it hadn't really impressed more that much til last night. Some of the combos he was putting together looked great and were landing.
fullerene
10/27/08 9:14:09AM

Posted by GrizzlyChadams
... was quite surprised at how well he did last night with his stand up. People keep saying it's improved but it hadn't really impressed more that much til last night. Some of the combos he was putting together looked great and were landing.

I agree. I think 95% of the welterweights out there would have gotten KOd by Koschek on Saturday. Unfortunately for him he was in with one of the best strikers in the division. Even so, his jab and straight gave even Alves something to think about.

Even though he lost, I think better of his chances of beating GSP in a rematch than before.
emfleek
10/27/08 9:53:21AM
I've always respected the guys' skills.

It's the person that I don't like.
GrizzlyChadams
10/27/08 11:25:35AM
I think Kos has grown alot as a fighter since his fight with GSP and if he gets a rematch, it would be a much different fight. I'm still not sure if he could beat him, but it'd be close.
pv3Hpv3p
10/27/08 11:25:58AM
I respect the fact that he is trying to diversfy his game, but to try and stand with Thiago Alves for three rounds (only going for TD's when he was hurt ect) was a bad idea and played right into Alves's game plan... Good fight though, and I have to admit that Koscheck's got a helluva beard on him... That knee crushed Karo and smashed Hughes and Kos took it and kept his head in the game, impressive...

I gotta say on a aside note... Alves has convincingly destroyed 3 top 10 or even top 5 welter weights... I can't name the last guy that has fought that tough of competition and won... Maybe Shogun back in the Pride days... But that kid's got it going... I don't think anyone at 170n can stand with him and his TD def is looking better and better... As long as he's got the weight cutting issues behind him, I see him giving GSP the ight of his life and wouldnt' be surprised to see his name start popping up on pound for pound lists soon