Josh Gross: Anderson Silva Wants to Fight at Heavyweight

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Josh Gross: Anderson Silva Wants to Fight at Heavyweight
« Previous Page
landstander
8/21/09 3:43:06AM

Posted by Hendo67

Why Mir? seriously, why not someone who will give Anderson trouble like Lesnar, like Velasquez, like Cro-Cop...

Why Mir? he just got throttled...

I agree. I would not care either way who won a mir v silva fight. A k1 fighter like mirko on the other hand would be awesome. Also after the next TUF he could fight kimbo. That would probably sell some pay per views!
mkiv9secsupra
8/21/09 8:14:10AM

Posted by bigbubbano23

Posted by Hendo67

Why Mir? seriously, why not someone who will give Anderson trouble like Lesnar, like Velasquez, like Cro-Cop...

velasquez cro cop, i hope your joking?

Cain got rocked everytime kongo touched him, he was lucky kongo has no ground game otherwise he would have been beat, and crop cop he may be a great striker but anderson is to fast for him. brock is the only one i see giving him a problem just because of size. if he got the takedown it might be over.

you have made me laugh sir

You honestly believe Anderson hits anywhere near as hard as Kongo? Im going to go out on a limb here and saying HELL NO...

You think Anderson will have the same agility and speed with an extra 30-40lbs on him? Id be willing to bet Couture, Vera, etc could move around the ring better/equally as good at HW than Anderson could. He wont have a single physical advantage at HW.
Pyrenus
8/21/09 8:14:39AM
In order for a big heavyweight to toss him around, they have to get a hold of him first. His overall strikes landed percentage is something like 90% in the UFC, totally unreal.

I think he'd be dangerous in any weight division.

Pyrenus
8/21/09 8:21:08AM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra
You think Anderson will have the same agility and speed with an extra 30-40lbs on him? Id be willing to bet Couture, Vera, etc could move around the ring better/equally as good at HW than Anderson could. He wont have a single physical advantage at HW.

The +30lb and +40lb opponents won't have the same agility and speed that the guys at MW do either. It all evens out, IMO.
EliasG
8/21/09 6:15:01PM
The man walks around at 215-220 from what I've read. That is fairly close to Fedor weight. He could easily fight someone 220+. The history of combat sports shows that it isn't necessarily the biggest heavyweight that wins, but often the most explosive, or the smoothest. The reason we HEAR about all this stuff with Silva is simple. HE CAN'T set up a fight himself. He has it at the whim of the promoter who promotes him and the other fighters in the promotion. So, the only way he can get those fights is to leak it, generate buzz, bring the buzz back to the promotion......sell the idea, etc...

I think he is significantly faster than most heavyweights, has a VERY good chin, hits hard, has good submissions, and GREAT range and footwork. Why wouldn't he be good for a myriad of heavy's? I don't think you throw him in with a Superheavyweight yet--you let him fight some lighter Heavy's first, see how he fares and then move him up the weight ladder. It's too much of an adjustment/jump to go from 185 to 275 in opponents but it's not too much to go from 185 to 205 to 225 and fight a guy that weighs anywere from 230-250.
EliasG
8/21/09 6:20:35PM
I disagree, Silva isn't using "speed" as a way to slip punches. Watch him fight. He uses range, footwork, head movement, and he slips punches the RIGHT way rolling/ducking, with his hands in position for the next strike. the guy is a ring general. THAT doesn't go away with weight unless you are FAT. He won't be fight.

Will he still hit hard? If you can KO a Lt. heavy you can KO a Heavyweight. The difference isn't as great as most think. The difference between a Lt. Heavy and a Heavyweight is discipline.....the truth is EVERY LT. HEavy is actually a Heavy weight that drops weight to make Lt.Heavy. Even Lesnar could drop weight to 205 if he stopped juicing. (JK don't get all bent Lesnar fans. Keep eating your lunchables).

"Speed" has little to do with it. You usually lose a great deal of foot and hand speed with too much muscle or the WRONG kind of muscle training. Since the guy is NATURALLY 220 or so, shouldn't be an issue at all. Being lighter doesn't MAKE you faster, being bigger the wrong way might make you slower though.
Hendo67
8/21/09 6:29:47PM

Posted by bigbubbano23

Posted by Hendo67

Cain got rocked everytime kongo touched him, he was lucky kongo has no ground game otherwise he would have been beat, and crop cop he may be a great striker but anderson is to fast for him. brock is the only one i see giving him a problem just because of size. if he got the takedown it might be over.

Ironically, you made me laugh as well...

Cain got rocked by very crisp punches by a guy who's MUCH, MUCH, MUCH bigger than Anderson, not ony with weight...but height as well, and also he has a better reach.

You nuthugging Anderson is hilarious, you're defending him as if he's fought the best HEAVYWEIGHTS in the world, he hasn't even fought the best LHW's in the world, so i don't understand what you're basing your logic on.
Guys who have been fighting at HW all their careers vs a guy who is yet to do so?

Think before you post, especially if you thought my post was overly HILARIOUS.
Hendo67
8/21/09 6:32:59PM

Posted by Pyrenus

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

The +30lb and +40lb opponents won't have the same agility and speed that the guys at MW do either. It all evens out, IMO.

Not true at all, these guys (Lesnar, Mir, Cain, Crocop) have fought at HW all their careers, we haven't seen any of those guys near 185.

I'd much put money on guys who have always been HW's as opposed to someone who wants to be one.
bigbubbano23
8/22/09 2:56:00AM

Posted by Hendo67

Posted by bigbubbano23

Posted by Hendo67

Ironically, you made me laugh as well...

Cain got rocked by very crisp punches by a guy who's MUCH, MUCH, MUCH bigger than Anderson, not ony with weight...but height as well, and also he has a better reach.

You nuthugging Anderson is hilarious, you're defending him as if he's fought the best HEAVYWEIGHTS in the world, he hasn't even fought the best LHW's in the world, so i don't understand what you're basing your logic on.
Guys who have been fighting at HW all their careers vs a guy who is yet to do so?

Think before you post, especially if you thought my post was overly HILARIOUS.

you no longer make me giggle, i see your logic in the weight factor along with muscle weight and overall strength, but you don't see the talent in that division right now. and as far as the guys who have been fighting at HW their whole career, i really don't see that being a big factor. a factor but not a huge one.

the people i see being able to beat anderson are lesnar= huge size and weight advantage (the only one with enough size to put anderson down)
carwin= heavy hands good cardio
loyoto machida= prolly the best fight that will never happen
nate marquardt or mia = nate on talent and luck and mia by submission

if anderson does make the move to heavyweight let me know if you want to do an AV bet
EliasG
8/22/09 3:40:22AM
Honestly I don't think that "belts" are important with Silva. I think FIGHTS are important with Silva. Match up good fights. Let him figth Rampage or Rashad. Let him fight Wandy, let him fight Cotoure or another Heavy. It doesn't have to be a champion, he can fight who he wants to. I don't care about belts I care about good fights and competitive matchups. I agree that Lesnar or Carwin doesn't sound very appealing because of the size difference but there are a lot of Heavy's that would make a good fight with Silva.

Pages: 1 [2]