Josh Barnett: ‘The Winner of This Tournament is the No. 1 Heavyweight in the World’

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Josh Barnett: ‘The Winner of This Tournament is the No. 1 Heavyweight in the World’
FastKnockout
6/14/11 3:05:21PM
Former UFC champion Josh Barnett says there is no question that whoever comes out on top of the Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix is the top heavyweight in the sport.

LINK
Chael_Sonnen
6/14/11 3:07:20PM
Ummm.....nope, gotta disagree.
Poor_Franklin
6/14/11 3:29:55PM
winner of this tourney will get a fight w/ the number one HW in the ufc & the winner of that fight will be the No. 1 HW in the world..... so they're kind of close
hashyandy4
6/14/11 4:12:37PM
Sorry josh but your wrong
Jekyll
6/14/11 4:22:24PM
how can the winner of the tournament be number 1 in the world in most of the top 5 in the world are not in it?

its Tim Sylvia logic "Half of this game is 90% mental"
FastKnockout
6/14/11 4:28:42PM
Well, I'm pretty sure there are a few guys who would disagree..

Sir_Karl
6/14/11 4:43:05PM
I like Barnett but he is crazy! Velasquez or dos Santos will mop up the floor with every one of the guys in the tourney! I think Barnett or Werdum will probably win it but I don't think either of them would touch Cain or Junior. Josh is just tooting his own horn.
mrsmiley
6/14/11 4:44:31PM
It in no way proves who is number one.
I think though the winner and the runner up are probably top 5-10 ranked though.
Pookie
6/14/11 5:15:43PM
It depends on the route someone took.

If Bigfoot Silva beats Fedor, Overeem, and the finals. You can make a claim for him. It wont be that strong, but its at least arguable.

But Barnett? If he beats Rogers, Kharitonov, and the finals, well that would put him in the top ten. Maybe top 5 if he dominates Bigfoot/Overeem.
Jekyll
6/14/11 5:33:31PM

Posted by Pookie

It depends on the route someone took.

If Bigfoot Silva beats Fedor, Overeem, and the finals. You can make a claim for him. It wont be that strong, but its at least arguable.

But Barnett? If he beats Rogers, Kharitonov, and the finals, well that would put him in the top ten. Maybe top 5 if he dominates Bigfoot/Overeem.

at BEST it would make an argument for possibly the number 5 spot behind Cain JDS Mir and Lesnar, it would not put them above any of them.
Adrenaline
6/14/11 6:58:22PM
I don't think that it would be a stretch to say that the winner of the tourney is in the lower end of the top five. Especially with Lesnar out with injuries, Carwin coming off of a loss etc...

There is only one way to find out though, and until then it is just speculation. The winner of this tournament needs to unify the belt with the winner of JDS/Cain. Not everyone is down for that idea at the moment but its really the only way to lay this to rest (for awhile)

Win or lose, I salivate at the though of Ubereem throwing leather in the UFC.
sbulldavid
6/14/11 7:32:00PM
My opinion on the subject is this.....Aside from JDS, and Cain everybody at Heavy is pretty much interchangeable, Mir, Carwin, Lesner, Overeem, Werdum, Barnett, it doesn't matter they are somewhere in there. I would love to see Werdum fight Mir, that is my dream fight.
baylee
6/14/11 7:33:48PM
There is fight talk and then there is the truth. Josh is doing fight talk.
Sam_Rothstein
6/14/11 7:35:34PM
Im not sure about #1 but definately would make sense for the #1 contender after JDS and Cain. I really wish UFC would just absorb Strikeforce's heavyweight division, would make for some amazing fights.