Josh Barnett talks about calling out Kenny

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Josh Barnett talks about calling out Kenny
Aaronno9
2/15/09 1:27:30PM
Josh's response on the UG

Now that I have your attention Kenny, and the rest of the internet it seems, I’ll lay it out for you without the attention grabbing obnoxiousness. I have done media work in MMA for years and know the difference between acting as a professional on camera and taking shots at someone. You obviously do not and did not have respect for me as a fighter when you decided to not simply be critical of my performance but talk of it with derision and disdain. Your clearly condescending attitude is where I took offense and when I have fellow fighters sending me messages saying, “Hey, did you see Kenny Florian talking down about you on ESPN?” it’s clear to me you’re being disrespectful.

Yeah I know all the crass comments were a bit much and “Sit-on-a-dong” in retrospect was in very poor taste. I regret that one. But for grabbing attention and putting more listeners in front of the PC for Shoman and Co. it did the trick. The offer still stands however if you, K-Flo, think you can teach me a two about throwing an armlock or two. Your attitude suggested you sat on a pretty high perch for someone so much my junior in this sport and you must think yourself a better fighter. I’d simply like to see you stand up for that attitude. I have been submitted plenty of times by Matt Hume who is around your weight and you’re a professional athlete so no need for anyone to whine about me picking on you Kenny.

Who are you to speak of class or more importantly my background? The only thing you need to know about my background is that no one ever let me act like an arrogant prick without smacking me one. My teachers are men who put up or shut up and take no **** from anybody. See when I started fighting I didn’t have the luxury of gyms everywhere, promotions all over the US, sponsors, or even MMA gear. We fought whoever, whenever pretty much regardless of weights, time limits or rules. What you see on Sherdog isn’t the extent of my fighting history. Ever fight bare knuckle, with headbutts or no time limit? No cutting and running in those matches buddy boy. No, I bet you didn’t. You got all the benefits of a modern MMA created by people like myself and I can tell you what it really means to suffer for a sport when we didn’t make dick. But we fought however we could and for free if we had to, just to fight.

You’re a kid in this game. A mewling babe sucking from a teet. You haven’t done the things I have or even have as many fights as I have wins. You need to realize that just because you fight in the UFC and are on an ESPN internet show, we are not peers. Not even close. Not as fighters, not in MMA knowledge, not in the business aspects, not in anything.

I must say that as a fighter your improvement has been impressive and I think you have come far from the finals of the first TUF. This however is not just about professionalism but about being a man. If you want to speak with contempt and flout be prepared to have own up to it –even if it means having to get physical. That’s the way it is.

Don’t talk **** if you don’t want ****.

Josh

Seems like Josh is still very bitter and clearly hasnt taken in the fact that nobody other than him thinks Kenny was actually trying to talk down on him. Josh becomes easier and easier to dislike every time he speaks. I wounder if he'd be making these same comments if it was Fedor or Mirko commentating?
MMAcca
2/15/09 1:30:41PM
Wonder who all of the 'fellow fighters' were ?
PABLOMAFIOSO
2/15/09 1:41:26PM
Can't wait to see Barnett get owned by Fedor. Kenny was right about that fight, how many attempts does it take such an experienced "top contender" to finish someone from mount? (while taking a beating from the guy on the bottom).
EvenFlow
2/15/09 1:45:27PM
This is exactly why I wanted Yvel to win, I'd rather the cool rebel wins than the real smack talker whos insecure and unable to take small criticism if that. Whatever, bring on Barney's next asswhoopin...Fedor...or Cro Cop pt. 4
Bowen50
2/15/09 2:39:19PM
Barnett has just lost my respect with that
evan9eleven
2/15/09 2:51:56PM
Barnett took one too many bare knuckle no time limit shots I think.
wiggum
2/15/09 3:34:19PM

Posted by Aaronno9
Who are you to speak of class or more importantly my background? The only thing you need to know about my background is that no one ever let me act like an arrogant prick without smacking me one.

apparently they didnt smack you hard enough josh, cuz your the only acting like a prick....kenny was right, get over it.....i feel that josh is a talented fighter and i love to watch him fight, but after this statement and the previous one, the man is a whiney little girl with no class and no respect...josh talks about being a man? maybe he should lead by example....he is extremely talented, but obvoiously mentally weak...and if he is planning on going up against the most mentally strong fighter in the sport in fedor, then he needs to give pedro rizzo or gsp a call and go see a sports therapist......all in all tho, josh has inspired me, i think on monday im gonna go down to the local middle school and start picking on 6th graders since im obviously just as insecure as he is......josh needs to grow up and get a life
loller90278
2/15/09 3:41:04PM
i guess im the only one on barnett's side. Kennys analysis of his fight was a bit over-the-top and i dont think fighters should be critiquing other fighters fights. if Mcneal had said that, i dont think barnett would have responded.
mrsmiley
2/15/09 3:46:03PM
I guess I'm the only one who still likes Barnett......................
fizzle
2/15/09 4:47:47PM

Posted by loller90278

i guess im the only one on barnett's side. Kennys analysis of his fight was a bit over-the-top and i dont think fighters should be critiquing other fighters fights. if Mcneal had said that, i dont think barnett would have responded.

I don't think I am on anyone's side, Barnett makes some good points in his second, slightly more level headed press release. I admire the man for sticking to his (guns) and backing up his position. It does seem like an over reaction on his part though, you got to let things like this slide off your back. Either way Kenny has been made into a defensive position and one he can likely not retaliate from in anyway so Babyface has already "won" whatever he was trying to win, he just needs to let it go now.
1daveufc
2/15/09 5:23:11PM
Lets see how much talking josh barnett does after fedor pounds him
Wolfenstein
2/15/09 10:13:42PM
Welcome to the sports world Josh, where athletes are placed under a microscope and criticiqued. I don't really get what Josh is throwing a fit about. Kenny is payed to analyze fights, and he pretty good at it. Kenny and Frank are probably the two most well spoken MMA fighters out there today.

I thought Kenny actually let Josh off pretty easy. Kenny didn't say, "I would have subbed Gilbert" so I'm not sure how Josh suddenly takes it in the direction that Kenny thinks he's a better grappler. Direspecting one of the most respected camps Team Sityodtong as a big mistake. Now you're insulting one of the best trainers Mark DellaGrotte, and a number of top tier professional MMA fighters like Marcus Davis, Stephan Bonnar, Patrick Cote and Jorge Rivera--who will all have a bone to pick with you. I'll admit though...Team "Sit on a Dong" was pretty funny though.
hippysmacker
2/15/09 11:10:34PM
Wow, I want to pick a fight with a guy who weighs a 100 lbs less than me .
The_Metal_Maniac
2/16/09 12:53:14AM
I absolutely love the fact that he goes on a half page rant about his dislike for Florian as a human, and how he thinks so low of him now. Then at the end he compliments his fight game and his improvement. Perhaps Josh for got to take his medication for his lesser known bi-polar condition. I hope Kenny takes him up on his offer, chokes him out, and when he's sleeping apply a muzzle to him.

Shut up Josh, you're losing fans with your obnoxious behavior.
gartface
2/16/09 1:31:25AM

Posted by loller90278

Rain check on the prop, I have to spread the love bro.

Barnett isn't calling him out for a fight. He was saying in the second paragraph, if he wants to roll with him and show him how to properly secure an armbar, be his guest.

I love Barnett, I don't know how good of a shot he has with Fedor, though I do believe he might be the only heavyweight at the moment that can take him to a decision.
MattHughesRules
2/16/09 1:59:37PM
I have never liked Barnett. He is skilled and fought as lot of tough fights but he such an ass in the media. He makes it impossible for me to get behind him. I get the feeling it's pretty easy for him to talk about 155 pound fighter in the sense of getting "physical". In the end I would not hesitate to say that pound for pound Florian just may be the mnore all around better skilled fighter. That debate aside....Josh takes everything way to personal. I can't wait to see Fedor knock him down a peg or two...AGAIN!
Svartorm
2/16/09 3:29:12PM
I actually thought that was a well-written statement by Barnett. Florian wasn't professional in his assessment of the fight and came off insultingly, and Barnett felt it was out of line, which he has the right to do. He makes valid points about their backgrounds and was even concious enough of his own previous rant to apologize for being childish with some of his insults, even though it was clearly written in anger. I don't personally know Barnett but I know people who do and everyone says hes a classy, no bullshit, kind of guy, and I certainly believe that.
RampageOwnedYou
2/16/09 4:00:16PM

I actually thought that was a well-written statement by Barnett. Florian wasn't professional in his assessment of the fight and came off insultingly, and Barnett felt it was out of line, which he has the right to do. He makes valid points about their backgrounds and was even concious enough of his own previous rant to apologize for being childish with some of his insults, even though it was clearly written in anger. I don't personally know Barnett but I know people who do and everyone says hes a classy, no bullshit, kind of guy, and I certainly believe that.

No doubt about it. Josh is a straight shooter, no if's or but's about it.
I am just like Josh in the sense, I speak my mind, and I dont hold back and lie just to look good or not hurt anyone's feelings. So good for Josh. Too bad Kenny had to do what he did, but he is lucky they are not in the same weight class.
MMAcca
2/18/09 1:03:30AM
Florian Slams 'Ignorant and Classless' Barnett

Kenny Florian says Josh Barnett has damaged the public image of mixed martial arts with his recent outburst against him.

"For a fighter to get angry at that, well it's nothing personal. But as fighters, we're in the limelight, we get critiqued,” he said.

“We're in England, how harsh are they on the soccer players? They [football players] don't say, 'well this guy is a faggot for saying that,' and say 'come play me in soccer'. It makes no sense," Florian explained.

Florian, who provides MMA analysis for ESPN, was referring to the dressing-down he got from Barnett last week after negatively critiquing his performance against Gilbert Yvel at Affliction 2.

Barnett described Florian as a “bitch” and said he was “talking ****” for opining that a fighter with the grappling skills of Barnett should have been able to finish Yvel during the nine minutes he spent in back mount during the fight.

"To go out there, as an A-class fighter, against Gilbert Yvel – who is not an A-class fighter and has no ground game to speak of – he dominated the fight, but to not finish him, a guy who is punching upward from under mount… if someone asked me how he would do against Fedor, well I don't know,” said Florian.

He is also saddened that Barnett chose to respond in such and angry and personal way and believes that the crude insults Barnett publicly levelled at him have set the sport back in the eyes of the general public.

"For Barnett to go out an act like that is so immature and unprofessional. He's the perfect example of the kind of guy that everybody thinks makes up the sport, that we're ignorant and we're classless,” he said.

"Congratulations to Josh Barnett for distorting our perception to the general public.”

LINK
telnights
2/19/09 1:45:13AM
I think Barnett was way out of place in his attack and it sounded like something you would hear in high school. I don't know why Barnett chose Kenny of all the people to attack because Kenny was one of the nicest reviews of his performance. There were a lot of media and writers that tore his performance apart. I think Josh is either looking for press coverage or chose Kenny because he is a fighter. Either way I think he is way out of line for attacking Kenny who basically was one of the nicer people about his performance. Barnett has done nothing but hurt public image and made himself look like a bully if people don't say what he wants them to say.

Point blank Josh looked flat is the fight and was gassed out before the 2nd round even started. Yvel ground game is very weak and always has been and Josh couldn't even pull off a finish from mount in the first because he was gassing. There is no excuse for this. I'm really not sure why Josh is ranked as high as he is because truth is he hasn't beat a Top 10 in 3 years and didn't even fight once in 07.