Josh Barnett to face Gilbert Yvel at "Affliction: Day of Reckoning"

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Josh Barnett to face Gilbert Yvel at "Affliction: Day of Reckoning"
The_Metal_Maniac
12/3/08 9:43:48AM
Former PRIDE fighter and 11-year mixed-martial-arts veteran Gilbert Yvel (35-12-1) has signed a three-fight deal with Affliction Entertainment and will debut against Josh Barnett (23-5) at the organization's Jan. 24 "Day of Reckoning" card.

The Yvel vs. Barnett fight is scheduled for the night's main card, which airs live on pay per view. A preliminary card airs on HDNet.

Article
wiggum
12/3/08 10:40:47AM
should be an very easy submission win for josh....yvel's striking of course is top notch, but he really hasnt developed it to match todays mma, he's still stuck in competition kickboxing mode (atleast from what i scene), and tho his ground game has improved, its not even in the same ballpark, nay, county has barnett's.....yvel has a chance at catching josh, but i think its a first rd submission or second rd submission if josh decides to test it out on the feet like he has been lately
Twenty20Dollars
12/3/08 11:07:16AM
just give barney an opponent and stick with it.
Manfred
12/3/08 11:29:28AM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

just give barney an opponent and stick with it.

Rogers, Aleks, Yvel.......
mrsmiley
12/3/08 12:37:08PM
That would be NIIIIIIIIIICCEEEEEEEEEEEE.

Barnett has the better chance of wining this,but you can't count Yvel out.
His striking is serious,and if Barnett over estimates his own stand up for too long,Yvel might be able to take him out.

I say Barnett wins this fight 9 out of 10 times,but this could be potentialy a very hard fight for him.
Mayhem13
12/3/08 12:45:27PM
suprised Affliction is taking a chance on a loose canon like Yvel.

He's fun to watch and has some scary stand-up, but I see Barnett playing on his feet a little, and taking some shots before catching a kick, and taking it to the groudn where he submis him pretty quick.
loller90278
12/3/08 1:01:16PM
you heard it here, i'm calling the upset!

time for guys like alistair and gilbert to come out of the woodwork.

emfleek
12/3/08 1:01:25PM
AFFLICTION: Profit Or Bust

Wolfenstein
12/3/08 1:26:19PM
I love watching Gilbert fight. For the most part I don't like fighters who bend the rules, but I dunno I just think he's an absolute badass..and I like that...plus he has sick standup.

I don't think he was able to get a license in the US at Pride 33 in Vegas, so this might not happen.

In the infamous incident where he knocks out the refferee...well there's actually a lot more to the story. The refferee was actually the trainer of the opposing fighter, and the promoter of the event...conflict of interest?

I remember Gilbert actually came onto Sherdog one day and was asking why peoplethought he was a dirty fighter. Posterswere pretty brutal, and sure enough he never returned.

If Josh stands with Gilbert, he's going to get torn apart, but I think he'll play it smart and go to the ground for a sub. As long as Barnett can avoid the flying knee and eye-rake takedown defense he should take this easilly. I hope Yvel lands a big KO though.
Jim_Dangle
12/3/08 1:45:29PM

Posted by Wolfenstein

I love watching Gilbert fight. For the most part I don't like fighters who bend the rules, but I dunno I just think he's an absolute badass..and I like that...plus he has sick standup.

I don't think he was able to get a license in the US at Pride 33 in Vegas, so this might not happen.

In the infamous incident where he knocks out the refferee...well there's actually a lot more to the story. The refferee was actually the trainer of the opposing fighter, and the promoter of the event...conflict of interest?

I remember Gilbert actually came onto Sherdog one day and was asking why peoplethought he was a dirty fighter. Posterswere pretty brutal, and sure enough he never returned.

If Josh stands with Gilbert, he's going to get torn apart, but I think he'll play it smart and go to the ground for a sub. As long as Barnett can avoid the flying knee and eye-rake takedown defense he should take this easilly. I hope Yvel lands a big KO though.

Are you trying to defend his brutal and unprovoked attack on a referee? Even with the shenanigans that went on you don't do that to a referee.
Wolfenstein
12/3/08 2:04:38PM
Not defending his actions, but I don't think his attack was entirely unprovoked either. I think something shady was going on. Gilbert never should have enetered into the bout in the first place, knowing the circumstances. I'm just not shedding any tears for the corrupt refferee getting cold cocked.
roman
12/3/08 2:17:31PM

Posted by loller90278

The difference between Overeem and Gilbert is Yvel has yet to improve, Overeem has been looking top notch this past year. He has been using smart destructive gameplans (I thought his sumbission win over Hunt was really slick and smart, and he was destroying CroCop before the unfortunate NC), he looks stronger and faster then ever. The biggest difference between Yvel and Alistair is the ground game, which I believe will be Gilberts downfall against Barnett.

I'm glad they picked this fight over Rogers. I don't see the upset, though this fight is guranteed to be more exciting and interesting then the Rogers matchup. But I still can't wait to see Barnett Aleks 2, seems like it will never happen in the states.
EvenFlow
12/3/08 3:12:02PM

Posted by loller90278

beat me to it
loller90278
12/3/08 3:49:31PM

Posted by roman

Posted by loller90278

The difference between Overeem and Gilbert is Yvel has yet to improve, Overeem has been looking top notch this past year. He has been using smart destructive gameplans (I thought his sumbission win over Hunt was really slick and smart, and he was destroying CroCop before the unfortunate NC), he looks stronger and faster then ever. The biggest difference between Yvel and Alistair is the ground game, which I believe will be Gilberts downfall against Barnett.

I'm glad they picked this fight over Rogers. I don't see the upset, though this fight is guranteed to be more exciting and interesting then the Rogers matchup. But I still can't wait to see Barnett Aleks 2, seems like it will never happen in the states.

well, yvel is on a 7 fight winning streak, so he's also been looking good this year. as far as the ground game goes, he's only been subbed twice in nearly 50 fights