Josh Barnett vs. Brandon Vera

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Josh Barnett vs. Brandon Vera
Next Page »
POLL: I wish the fight happens it would Rock jam true
Josh Barnett 67% (24)
Brandon Vera 33% (12)
MoJoy
7/29/07 1:59:01PM
With me this is easy, I'm taking Brandon all the way, round 2 KO. Barnett is overrated, he's top level heavyweight, but overrated. He's a guy who's hard to beat up, but against top guy, he cannot finish them good. Vera is underrated. There are many truths to having expierience and fighting a lot of top competition, but when your good your good. And against decent comp he has been terrific, and he has an overall game, and moves like a welterweight, I'm serious. Just cause you have not seen enough of him don't mean he can't do it. I think high enough of this guy, that he thinks he beats the heralded Cro Crop. Do your homework on him, out of respect, before you reply.
masodd
7/29/07 2:09:56PM
Vera by ko
zephead
7/29/07 2:14:30PM
Josh. To strong.
cmill21
7/29/07 2:32:53PM
Who the hell has vera fought to warrent him being the favorite in this fight? Please.
babalu2720
7/29/07 2:32:55PM
Barnett UD
casey64
7/29/07 2:45:18PM
Brandon Vera all the way.
casey64
7/29/07 2:48:10PM

Posted by cmill21

Who the hell has vera fought to warrent him being the favorite in this fight? Please.

Frank Mir
Twenty20Dollars
7/29/07 2:48:55PM
I watched one of Brandon Vera's fight. It didnt look very good. Barnett more experienced.
Brandon would just get dominated by Barnett.
Twenty20Dollars
7/29/07 2:50:30PM

Posted by casey64

Posted by cmill21

Frank Mir

no way. frank mir not at all impressive since his wreck. vera beating mir doesnt make him the favoured in the fight.
MoJoy
7/29/07 3:06:38PM
Josh Barnett is hand down the most given too much credit for heavweight.

Off roids Randy beats him. Not even looking at the two beatings Cro Crop gave him, did you see him against Pawel Nastula. Fighting, matchups come into play a multiple amount of times. Vera is such a bad matchup for him. By the way, look at Vera against Assuerio Silva. A very good heavyweight. He's 0-3 in the octagon, but has gone against top competition, and has over 30 victories and no losses outside the octagon. Vera jumped all over him, and got a choke. Against Mir, he slaughtered him, and Mir was so overmatched. Vera would circle Josh, and deliver punishment and kick him off his game. He's too dynamic. Time will prove this.
loller90278
7/29/07 3:15:47PM
barnett by leglock

his american submission wrestlin is prolly the best in the game
cmill21
7/29/07 3:17:47PM
Your talking like Mirko's a nobody. Barnett has fought a beat top 5 guys. Beat nog, schilt x2, kondo, severn, aleks, and hunt. Vera has beaten, a shell of his former self frank mir, assuerio silva(who does not have 30 pro fights let alone wins, he's 13-6), and Eilers who lost to cabbage. Please guys this isn't a fair comparison at this point in vera's career, people say soko needs to prove himself, if thats true then vera has a million miles to go before he "proves" himself.
wilwith1l
7/29/07 3:41:48PM
juanez13
7/29/07 3:57:54PM
barnnett by slam TKO
Basshandsome
7/29/07 4:43:04PM

Posted by cmill21

Your talking like Mirko's a nobody. Barnett has fought a beat top 5 guys. Beat nog, schilt x2, kondo, severn, aleks, and hunt. Vera has beaten, a shell of his former self frank mir, assuerio silva(who does not have 30 pro fights let alone wins, he's 13-6), and Eilers who lost to cabbage. Please guys this isn't a fair comparison at this point in vera's career, people say soko needs to prove himself, if thats true then vera has a million miles to go before he "proves" himself.

I agree with this post fully. I mean I like Vera and I believe that he has tons of potential but I think Barnett would win for sure. Vera needs to get more fights under his belt and fight some Top names. I am not saying Vera doesnt have a chance but I just don't see him winning. Barnett has fought the top guys and proved himself so he would win.
zephead
7/29/07 5:42:43PM

Posted by cmill21

SNAP!!!!
pv3Hpv3p
7/29/07 7:48:03PM

Posted by MoJoy

With me this is easy, I'm taking Brandon all the way, round 2 KO. Barnett is overrated, he's top level heavyweight, but overrated. He's a guy who's hard to beat up, but against top guy, he cannot finish them good. Vera is underrated. There are many truths to having expierience and fighting a lot of top competition, but when your good your good. And against decent comp he has been terrific, and he has an overall game, and moves like a welterweight, I'm serious. Just cause you have not seen enough of him don't mean he can't do it. I think high enough of this guy, that he thinks he beats the heralded Cro Crop. Do your homework on him, out of respect, before you reply.

If you are going to say that Barnett is overrated because he actually fought top level comp, and that Vera is underrated because he hasn't fought any (top comp) your entire post loses it's credibility...

To say that Barnett does not finish fights is a misstatment as well... He has both two loses and two wins by decision... That's 4 out of 25 fights... Are you just making this stuff up?

Barnett is one of the most well rounded HVY's out there, maybe only second to Fedor, maybe Nog but that's up for debate... Once again, I don't see your point...

I understand that you like Vera, and he's been exciting to watch... But I'll have to use your own statement here... "I'm serious. Just cause you have not seen enough of him don't mean he can't do it."... What I mean is, you should watch more Josh Barnett fights.
xchickox
7/29/07 7:53:57PM
definately vera ko, i think he's gonna rip through the heavyweight division during this next year or two
cmill21
7/29/07 7:57:25PM
^^ Please post a reason for such a fact filled post!!
LR
7/30/07 9:49:10AM
ROFL, you are going to take Vera by 2nd round KO? Wow... the only reason Barnett has lost a couple of his matches are because A.) He fought Mirko and B.) He fought Mirko who was fresh during a GP after Barnett fought Nog for 15 minutes.

Barnett is much more superior than Vera, in almost every aspect, his standup may be lacking to Vera's, but Barnett's ground game is one of the best.
JuggaloWarrior878
7/30/07 1:23:18PM
Man i didnt think anyone was going to pick vera. im pretty sure josh would manhandle vera hes ruthless.
richieb19
7/30/07 1:26:50PM
Barnett is basically one win away from being ranked #1 Heavyweight, the only subtle advantage Vera would possess would be his striking, which would be neutralized instantly.

Barnett by Death Valley Drop!
DevonFoxy
7/30/07 1:30:16PM
Sounds like people have seen Vera fight undercarders and not seen Barnett fight Nog and Hunt and ext. ext. Barnett by TKO and then he verbally rapes anyone who picked against him.....hes the new Chuck Norris IMO
_GSP_
7/30/07 1:54:33PM
Brandon his a light heavy so who care he was doing heavy just cause DANA didnt whan' t him killing chuck
CwB
7/30/07 2:02:32PM

Posted by _GSP_

Brandon his a light heavy so who care he was doing heavy just cause DANA didnt whan' t him killing chuck

Brandon Vera has said in an interview before that prefers to fight at heavywieght and as long as he can compete he will stay at heavyweight, so get your facts straight,

this fight to me reminds me of GG vs. Fedor, Brandon has yet to prove himself and barnett is one of the best heavies in the game, to me i cant comprehend how anyone can pick vera over barnett, unless they are going for a longshot to win lots of money gambling, BRANDON VERA has never fought a top ten competitor, so we really dont know his true potential.

Barnett by complete domination
MoJoy
7/30/07 2:18:16PM
First of all with all the Vera picks, it shows how smart some of us are on this board. Forward thinkers. Barnett is not as good as you think. His strength is wrestling. Oh my God, there people here who seen the Nastula fight. Josh had his strength totally taken away and was totally outclassed, until he got a submission. He was being thrown around the ring. His striking is awful, and Brandon moves like no one he has fought. He would pick him apart, and he has incredible takedown defense. He has won numerous sprawl tournaments, I never knew they existed until I seen Video of him winning these things, and it was something to watch. Youtube it yourself. Vera is so much more talented and so much more well rounded. He would beat up Josh. I hope this fight happens.
CwB
7/30/07 2:48:56PM
But barnett has proved himself as a fighter who deserves to be top 5 ranked. Brandon hasn't beaten anybody, and dont say frank mir because he hasnt been the same since his accident. You cant say that he would pick him apart because we have never seen him fight someone as skilled as barnett, i know vera is very quick but barnett can take some punishment and get inside of vera's shots, and barnett is so strong that i know he would get him down. As far as vera submitting him, i dont think that is very likely either just watch barnetts fight with big nog (one of the best submission guys in the heavyweight div)

We need to see more of vera before we can make an accurate decision, but until that happens barnett all the way

cmill21
7/30/07 3:16:48PM
So your saying that Nastula, an olympic gold medalist in judo is on the same level as vera? You said nastula was throwing barnett around so I took that as you saying vera can do it. Please don't make a comparison like that ever again.
the-james
7/30/07 3:57:14PM
Its obvious that barnett is the more experienced, decorated, talented and the favorite to win this this fight and if i had to put money on it it would be on him but i have a strange feeling that Vera would knock him out dont know why.
pv3Hpv3p
7/30/07 4:31:05PM

Posted by MoJoy

First of all with all the Vera picks, it shows how smart some of us are on this board. Forward thinkers. Barnett is not as good as you think. His strength is wrestling. Oh my God, there people here who seen the Nastula fight. Josh had his strength totally taken away and was totally outclassed, until he got a submission. He was being thrown around the ring. His striking is awful, and Brandon moves like no one he has fought. He would pick him apart, and he has incredible takedown defense. He has won numerous sprawl tournaments, I never knew they existed until I seen Video of him winning these things, and it was something to watch. Youtube it yourself. Vera is so much more talented and so much more well rounded. He would beat up Josh. I hope this fight happens.

Pawel Nastula's record does not portray what sort of athlete he is... The man is the Rickson of Judo,(and his Judo record is actually confirmed)...

I have never seen a HVY or any fighter for that matter fight the level of comp he did when he started MMA: Big Nog, AleksE, Draggo, and Barney... That's rediculous.

The problem with your opinion, is it's just that... An opinion, without grounds... Whereas people who have seen Barnett fight top level comp and actually seen how he has performed, know at what level he can fight.

So you saw Vera in a sprawl competition with a bunch of ametuers and that will translate to MMA? Avoiding a TD is a totally different story when you don't have to worry about striking

Brandon Vera = unproven commodity <<<<<< Proven Talent = Barnett

To simplify:

Vera < Barnett

Stop this boobery
Pages: [1] 2