Josh Barnett "I’m the best grappler out there in MMA"

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Josh Barnett "I’m the best grappler out there in MMA"
Skrillex
4/2/12 5:57:09PM
From a new interview with Josh Barnett. He says he is the best grappler in MMA. That's a big time statement with as many skilled ground fighters as there is.

I think I’m the best grappler out there in MMA. Especially the heavyweight division. But you know, it’s not about talking about it, it’s about being about it, so I’ll just go out there and continue to prove such a thing. Back my words up.

Who do you think is the best grappler in MMA?

VIDEO: Josh Barnett Says He's The Best Grappler In MMA
DeadHead988
4/2/12 5:58:57PM
He's very very good, but I don't know if I'd say he's the best.
cowcatcher
4/2/12 6:03:50PM
He's in the conversation at HW, although he wouldn't be my choice at that weight class. All of MMA? I don't think he's really more than a passing thought in that conversation.
Chael_Sonnen
4/2/12 6:23:18PM
I dunno Joshy, Mr. Chael P. Sonnen always states that he's THE BEST!
postman
4/2/12 6:45:27PM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

I dunno Joshy, Mr. Chael P. Sonnen always states that he's THE BEST!

Hes far better then Chael's no submission defense ass.
Bubbles
4/2/12 8:30:31PM
Barnett vs Werdum or Mir or a rematch with Big Nog...or even Gonzaga! Hurry up and beat Cormier so we can watch these fights
jae_1833
4/2/12 9:17:30PM
I have a strong feeling Cormier is going to prove that statement wrong. Grappling implies a lot, just like striking. Wrestling, takedowns and tdd, sweeps slams throws, sub and sub defense, in many different positions either dominant or not. Huge statement!
shaneTpain
4/2/12 9:36:48PM
I believe em!
& i REALLY hope Dana gives him another go in the UFC. He'd make TIDAL WAVES
warglory
4/2/12 10:21:06PM
Sorry Barnett, you'd get outclassed in grappling by Mir.
prozacnation1978
4/3/12 12:08:28AM
I don't know about that. He needs to get past cormier
Then the Ufc will have to take him back
tcunningham
4/3/12 1:37:26AM
i think cormier will give him a lot more trouble in the grappling department that josh thinks. excellent wrestlers have more oftern than not, made a good transition into grappling. wrestlers have very good body control on the ground. im not saying cormier is better i just think josh is far from the best.

Better HW Grapplers: mir, werdum, gonzaga, maybe big nog still, and i would put Big country up against him in a heartbeat (roy is pretty slick on the ground and in a MMA match i think he could easily hang with josh, maybe not in a pure grappling match though)
Pookie
4/3/12 2:56:37AM
First of all, I'm picking Cormier to win via sprawl-and-brawl.

Second, my take on grappling is almost purely the transitions/positioning/reversal aspect of ground fighting. Takedowns i attribute to wrestling/judo/misc. clinch trip, and submissions to well, submissions.

I think Barnett is a fantastic Grappler, even more-so than he is a wrestler. He's no Maia/Nog in that respect, but he's definitely upper-echelon. His submissions are good, but he's no Aoki/Palhares. His wrestling is also very good, though no Gsp/Cormier.

He's about as well-rounded of a ground fighter as you can be, with an accentuation in his grappling from his background in Catch-wrestling. But the best? Certainly not.
prophecy033
4/3/12 12:57:17PM

Posted by DeadHead988

He's very very good, but I don't know if I'd say he's the best.

THIS
prophecy033
4/3/12 12:59:46PM

Posted by warglory

This would be a sweet pure grappling match IMO
warglory
4/3/12 9:18:28PM

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by warglory

This would be a sweet pure grappling match IMO

I concur.
gartface
4/4/12 8:51:15AM

Posted by warglory

This. Mir is by far the best heavyweight grappler in MMA.
Kpro
4/4/12 2:21:11PM
He's easily top 5 at HW, likely top 3. I'm not the type of person that can compare one division to another and say somebody is better at an aspect. But I'd love to see him face a guy like Mir.
Pookie
4/4/12 5:38:48PM
Mir gets stuck in positions where he can't transition all the time. I think he'd have a tough time with Barnett.
mrsmiley
4/5/12 3:35:38PM
Barnett is top 5-3. I'm not sure how him vs Mir would go but I would cheer for Barnett all the way.
ShOgUnWANDerlei
4/5/12 8:46:03PM
He's 1 of the best but not the best. In HW alone you got Werdum, Mir, Nog and Fedor. Not to mention outside of HW; Jacare, Maia, Palhares, Gracie among others. I would love to see him vs Mir and Werdum.