Josh Barnett

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Josh Barnett
eataface
6/3/07 3:21:05PM
Any news on what he's doing right now, is he fighting any time soon or.........?
johny_rotten
6/3/07 3:48:26PM

Posted by eataface

Any news on what he's doing right now, is he fighting any time soon or.........?

On his myspace page he wanted to make clear that he isn't retireing. He also lets everyone know that Pride buy out wasn't to good for him. The bottom line is he under contract with Pride, and the powers that be at Zuffa hate him, and he feels the same about them. You have to hope he and Zuffa can get over it like they did with BJ, Jens, Tito, and others. Other wise he won't be able to fight while the class action suit with DSE is dealt with.
kerazzle
6/3/07 4:08:27PM
i heard in a radio interview that he was on good terms with Dana White. He said he would fight in the UFC. I really dont know tho, I think he may join K-1 since he loves Japan so much.
ncordless
6/3/07 4:48:00PM
That would be a huge coup for K-1.
JimiMak
6/3/07 5:28:21PM
I hope not. He has a good chance of becoming 2 time UFC champ.
Mastodon2
6/3/07 6:34:48PM
I cant see K-1 being a fantastic Idea for him, he is a fantastic wrestler, but his striking is not up to K-1 standard. He should stick to MMA, he could become UFC champ again, maybe even Pride Champ*

*Personally, I think the Nogueira / Cro Cop / Fedor Buffer will prevent him from ever having that glory again.
cmill21
6/3/07 6:56:54PM
^ agreed. I think K-1 would be a terrible career move for a wrestler like barnett.
Aether
6/3/07 8:04:46PM
wat? K1 puts on MMA fights as well as traditional K-1 rule kickboxing events do they not? I don't think anyone was suggesting he leave MMA to fight as a kickboxer...
THE_AXE_MURDERER
6/3/07 8:08:33PM
Barnett needs to go to the UFC so he can fight Big Nog once again.
cowcatcher
6/3/07 8:54:50PM

Posted by Aether

wat? K1 puts on MMA fights as well as traditional K-1 rule kickboxing events do they not? I don't think anyone was suggesting he leave MMA to fight as a kickboxer...

exactly, i think k-1 heroes is what people were referring to.
i hope we see him in the ufc though, might as well get all the top hw's together in one place and see who's left standing when the smoke clears, although i think if pride is going to have one more big event josh should get his shot at fedor in the pride ring
Mastodon2
6/4/07 2:24:48AM

Posted by Aether

Indeed it does, but that is K-1 Heroes, the post only named K-1, so I was taking it at face value because I like to be specific, but perhaps K-1 Heroes wouldnt be such a bad idea for Barnett.
kerazzle
6/4/07 2:40:24AM

Posted by Mastodon2

Posted by Aether

Indeed it does, but that is K-1 Heroes, the post only named K-1, so I was taking it at face value because I like to be specific, but perhaps K-1 Heroes wouldnt be such a bad idea for Barnett.

sorry yea I meant K-1 heroes lol. I thought that'd be obvious since I doubt Barnett would ever dream of becoming strictly a kickboxer.
Mastodon2
6/4/07 2:55:46AM

Posted by kerazzle

sorry yea I meant K-1 heroes lol. I thought that'd be obvious since I doubt Barnett would ever dream of becoming strictly a kickboxer.

You never know, maybe he has been hiding his world class striking skills all these years behind a smoke screen of wrestling

But then again, perhaps not!
Aether
6/4/07 12:56:13PM
who knows... semmy schilt wasn't really considered a phenomenal striker when he drew with ernesto hoost at 2002 dynamite/shockwave. Now he's a 2 time k-1 champion. Although I guess he was still markedly better than Barnett when it came to striking.