Jose Aldo vs Frankie Edgar

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Jose Aldo vs Frankie Edgar
hashyandy4
5/4/11 10:48:22PM
So after seeing aldo after ufc 129, who do u guys think would win this fight? Even tho jose seemed to gas really fast i actually think he could UD frankie. Maybe even getting a early tko. I luv frankie but i just see aldo being 2 much in the end.
Chael_Sonnen
5/4/11 11:27:16PM
Frankie via better cardio
kingsmasher
5/5/11 12:24:19AM
Dude Edgar would be way too strong for him and thats a fact and Aldos ground game is no where near what Ed Soares wants you to think...

I think Aldo is number 5 on top p4p...Behind Silva GSP Jones Cain...

Also as soon as Aldo got hit he changed...
UFC_Fanatic
5/5/11 3:27:09AM
Aldo wins that fight 9 times out of ten in my opinion. Frankie is fast for a LW, but Aldo is fast for a featherweight, which is saying something. I was impressed by Aldo and Hominick in their fight, and before you call me crazy for being impressed by Aldo in that fight, think about this for a minute. I know that you may have heard the phrase "Well so and so would beat/destroy such and such on so and so's worst day". Well, that's kinda what this was in my eyes. Aldo fought really well on his worst day against a top notch opponent on a good day. I was very impressed by Hominicks heart, and I was impressed with aldo's ability to fight the way he did when he seemed to be gassed after one round.
I think Edgar vs Aldo would be reminiscent of Aldo vs Faber. I think that edgar doesn't possess the tools that Aldo does, and that the ones that he does have that would be dangerous to Aldo, i.e. Edgar's wrestling, would be quickly nullified by leg kicks taking away from the explosiveness of Edgar's shot. Edgar would get dismantled by a much much faster opponent. I mean, c'mon, in my opinion Aldo would be a fast BW, let alone how fast he is for a featherweight. Edgar tries to stand and trade for a little while in the early parts of fights to get his opponent to feel comfortable standing with him and make them not really expect the shot leaving them wide open for it, and against Aldo that would get him KTFO.
FastKnockout
5/5/11 12:24:51PM
I'm a huge Frankie fan, and I honestly don't know. Something was wrong with Aldo against Hominick. Could've been the weight cut or the sickness, who really knows, but SOMETHING was up with him. Gassing after the first round? Come on. We watched him beat the hell out of Faber for 25 full minutes and he acted as though he hadn't even started. Something was wrong, and he didn't fight at his best.

With that being said, I think back to the first round of his last fight with Maynard and Frankie was everywhere. Maynard isn't known for having huge power in his hands yet he rocking Edgar left and right. If that was Aldo, Edgar wouldn't have been able to get back up. Aldo is a lot more brutal, and even though he's a division lower, I still believe he has more pure knockout power then most Lightweights.

Edgar isn't helpless in this fight, though. His wrestling and conditioning is second to none, and if he can keep Aldo on his back he could possibly win. My only issue with this is that Edgar doesn't always keep the fight on the ground, no matter whose he's fighting. Eventually, he would let Aldo up, and that's dangerous. Not to mention Frankie would have to do this for 25 dangerous minutes.

I can't pick a winner, though. This is one of those fights like Silva/St. Pierre where either guy could take it, and I'm better off just flipping a coin rather then sitting for hours and hours trying to decide who will win.

If that fight does happen though, the fans will be the real winners.
cowcatcher
5/5/11 1:42:50PM

Posted by kingsmasher

Dude Edgar would be way too strong for him and thats a fact and Aldos ground game is no where near what Ed Soares wants you to think...

I'm not sure you know what a fact is...

Facts are not your opinion, and from what I've read of your opinions, they have very little in common with facts.
jjeans
5/5/11 1:55:21PM
I know none of us are perfect and I have called fighters a can which is fighter bashing before but I've read the rules and read them often to make sure I'm in the right, but

14. Do not post your OPINION as a FACT. Two facts: "water is wet", "the sky is blue". A non-fact: "Jon Doe will beat Joe Blow and you all know it" when they have never even fought before.

Rule 14 on the rules of forum, plleeeaaaaasssseeee don't pass things off as fact. Hope my informal warning will help before a mod gets a hold of you!
kingsmasher
5/5/11 2:59:01PM

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by kingsmasher

Facts are not your opinion, and from what I've read of your opinions, they have very little in common with facts.

Well I have a fact for you...I have more money than you this season...Is that a fact in your book?
ncordless
5/5/11 4:37:10PM

Posted by kingsmasher

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by kingsmasher

Well I have a fact for you...I have more money than you this season...Is that a fact in your book?

. . . He is pwning you in pts and %, and within a couple bills of you in $$. In my book you stating the fact that you have more $$ is a fact taken out of context, and regardless of that is just a red herring anyway.

What makes you think Edgar is "way too strong for" Aldo, anyway? I am not saying you are wrong, but you seem to think it is a given, and I'd like to hear your reasoning for it.

Back to the original topic, I think it would be a great fight. If Aldo has the same gas problems as he did against Hominick, he is dead in the water. I also question Aldo's ability to fight off his back and/or get back to his feet should Frankie take him down. On the other hand, Aldo didn't have any problems melting Faber on the mat, mounting him twice and even getting him in a crucifix. Also, while Frankie's boxing is good, I think Aldo's head movement off the straight punches and power on his counters and combos would put Edgar in a world of hurt. I think the fight would come down to whether Aldo gasses like he did against Hominick and, if not, whether he can use the kind of chain wrestling he did against BJ in their second fight to get Aldo to the floor. If it stays on the feet and Aldo doesn't gas, I think he lights Edgar up something fierce, but if Aldo gasses or Edgar can get it to the ground with a transition off the initial takedown attempt, I think Edgar would dominate. If I had to make a guess, I'd say that Edgar wins a decision, but survives huge trouble in at least one round.
Pookie
5/5/11 10:29:30PM
I would bet money that Aldo doesn't gas, and that Edgar does nail the takedowns.

I would go Edgar, he has reach for days and his footwork is phenomenal. Jose Aldo is talented enough to win it, but styles are usually what determines winners.

Also, people harping on Jose Aldo's cardio while choosing to ignore his sickness are really doing a discredit to their own points.
cowcatcher
5/6/11 11:38:20AM

Posted by kingsmasher

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by kingsmasher

That is a fact, so now that it's clear that you know what one is, maybe you can stop stating your opinions as facts. My point was that you basically are a half a step up from a troll and if you don't change your posting habits you won't be around here for long. I'm fine with you having opinions, but post according to the forum rules and quit trying to pass off what you think you know as gospel. Do that and you won't lose posting privileges...and THAT'S a fact.

P.S. 19-4 > 15-7 = another fact, thanks for playing
State_Champ
5/6/11 5:02:08PM
I would LOVE to see this fight happen.

Two dudes who I always enjoy watching!

I think Edgar might win a UD in this fight.
warglory
5/7/11 11:03:19AM
Frankie's boxing is likely better than Hominick's, and Frankie is a natural lightweight (I think?), so I think Frankie probably has the skillset to contend w/ Aldo, and also the size.
Lay-n-PrayNINJA
5/16/11 5:42:04PM

Posted by kingsmasher

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by kingsmasher

Wow! **** got real!!! Calling out the fake money stats!!!

KungFuMaster
5/19/11 12:06:38AM
I like this fight. I think Edgar has what it takes to nullify the powerful leg kicks of Aldo.

Edgar is constantly moving and constantly throwing faints. It would be difficult for Aldo to set up due to Edgar's constant movements.

This is a tough fight to call but Edgar may be able to pull it off due to his speed, faints and cardio.
HonestlyIDontCareLol
7/6/11 12:41:48PM
I say Aldo all the way. Jose Aldo is jut phenomenal with his stand up abilities. I mean, he's a very unique fighter. He's got some very unique moves in his arsenal. He's almost like the Manny Pacquiao of MMA. You never know what to expect and he comes in from all angles. With Aldo's speed and accuracy and unexpected variety of strikes, I doubt Edgar would even get the opportunity to shoot for a takedown. And even if he did, Jose Aldo is a black belt in BJJ, so I'm sure he'd be able to defend it or maneuver his way out of it somehow and get back to his feet.
KungFuMaster
7/8/11 1:27:41PM
I would love to see this match and I think Edgar would do well. What Faber and most fighters did wrong against Aldo is stand in front of him. Expect Edgar to move like he always does and this will limit the chances for Aldo set up and sit on his kicks.

Most people - when they watch a fighter, they tend to focus on the fighter's strengths and not his weaknesses. The way to beat aldo is to move like Edgar and Cruz. Frustrate him and pepper him with quick soft touches and then take him down when he least expects it.

Edgar all day ...
Pookie
7/8/11 2:23:14PM
Edgar Cruz

Edgar's footwork can help him avoid the leg kicks, Cruz's foot work can't.
bellefaithwilliams
7/11/11 7:25:03AM
Hey dude.. Nobody knows what will happen inside the octagon.. And everyone knows that there's no one to step in the octagon without something. Lets just watch the fight....

Wingchun London
Theoutlaw08
7/11/11 4:37:45PM

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by kingsmasher

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by kingsmasher

That is a fact, so now that it's clear that you know what one is, maybe you can stop stating your opinions as facts. My point was that you basically are a half a step up from a troll and if you don't change your posting habits you won't be around here for long. I'm fine with you having opinions, but post according to the forum rules and quit trying to pass off what you think you know as gospel. Do that and you won't lose posting privileges...and THAT'S a fact.

P.S. 19-4 > 15-7 = another fact, thanks for playing

LOVE IT cowcatcher!!!!!! Wanted to prop, but gotta spread the love.
KungFuMaster
7/11/11 9:43:01PM
That was harsh. *Kung Fu goes back to edit most of his posts*