Jose Aldo

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Jose Aldo
ncordless
1/26/09 1:13:12AM
How good is this guy going to be? He is 22 years old and ready to step up to the top level at FW. His striking is already the among the best in the division (those leg kicks were brutal) and he has the kind of speed that you can't teach. We really have not gotten to see his BJJ but Nova Uniao doesn't give out black belts lightly, and have turned out some of the best in the game (BJ Penn for example).

Speaking of BJ, Aldo reminded me of him when he went running out of the cage.

What do you think? Real Deal? Hype? Somewhere in between?
Wolfenstein
1/26/09 1:27:25AM
A top prospect for sure, seems to have all the tools. He'll be in the top ten for a long time. He seems to make some little mental mistakes here and there, dropping his hands, but I can't find too many flaws in his game otherwise. Note sure if he's a champ in the making, but definetely a guy to watch.
ncordless
1/26/09 1:52:40AM
I saw him drop his hands a couple times, but I never really saw him get hit with anything. I was pretty impressed by his defense. He was keeping his head covered.

Since he is so young hopefully he gets another tune up before getting thrown in with Brown, Fabiano, Garcia, or Faber. I'd hope to see him fight Cub Swanson, Jens Pulver, or Takaya before taking that next step.
scoozna
1/26/09 10:42:23AM
Very exciting fighter. I do hope they gradually introduce him to tougher competition.
DCRage
1/26/09 10:51:33AM
Now is the time to give him a top-tier guy. My suggestion: Faber. Winner is next for the Brown-Garcia winner.
JBatch
1/26/09 11:33:53AM
His is an extremely exciting fighter. I would love to see him fight some top tier competition. Kind of reminds me of a young Nick Diaz.
cowcatcher
1/26/09 11:40:14AM

Posted by DCRage

Now is the time to give him a top-tier guy. My suggestion: Faber. Winner is next for the Brown-Garcia winner.

i thought this right away too, but im pretty sure faber is getting his title shot next unless something bizarre happens in the brown/garcia fight. so i say, give him the loser of the title fight and the winner of that is next in line after faber. then again they could always toss him at pulver and see if he sticks.
scoozna
1/26/09 11:47:44AM

Posted by DCRage

I'm surprised by this. Is it because he's had 3 WEC fights already?
Franklinfan47
1/26/09 12:27:14PM
I've been really impressed with him thus far. At his point, I feel since he is young they should gradually build him up towards a title shot. Maybe one more tune up match then give him Garcia, Faber, or Brown, depending on who has the title at the time.
grimreaper
1/26/09 12:51:57PM
Yeah he seems like the real deal I got a question don't him and Fabiano both train at Nova Uniao would they fight?
ncordless
1/26/09 1:06:09PM

Posted by grimreaper

Yeah he seems like the real deal I got a question don't him and Fabiano both train at Nova Uniao would they fight?

You are right... I didn't even think about it. I guess that probably takes Fabiano off the list.
Gipper
1/26/09 4:24:20PM
looked damn good
casey64
1/26/09 5:52:59PM
Killer Knee man that was awsome.
higdon10
1/26/09 6:59:58PM
His stand up is extremely impressive. And hes a BJJ black belt. I think that the sky is the limit.
beerman77
1/26/09 10:50:40PM
i love this kid...... just a fireball....... i think rage is right . for sure throw somee top fighters at him.. if he keep the pace of growth he has going for him . could be a belt contnder real soon
urbman
1/27/09 6:47:46PM

Posted by ncordless

I saw him drop his hands a couple times, but I never really saw him get hit with anything. I was pretty impressed by his defense. He was keeping his head covered.

Since he is so young hopefully he gets another tune up before getting thrown in with Brown, Fabiano, Garcia, or Faber. I'd hope to see him fight Cub Swanson, Jens Pulver, or Takaya before taking that next step.

You said it all.
ncordless
6/7/09 11:36:59PM
bump
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
6/7/09 11:40:23PM
If Aldo fights Brown it will be the 1st time I will go against Brown since I've known who he is(wec career)
like em both but Im for Aldo but I'd also like to see Aldo/Faber as well that woul be fun
Kpro
6/7/09 11:43:07PM

Posted by Jesse_Canadian_MMA

If Aldo fights Brown it will be the 1st time I will go against Brown since I've known who he is(wec career)

You picked a Urijah 1st round sub in Brown/Faber I
TNPanther78
6/8/09 9:47:25AM
Aldo is a beast, he can beat Brown IMO.
ncordless
6/8/09 9:49:21AM

Posted by TNPanther78

Aldo is a beast, he can beat Brown IMO.

I think so, too. Brown looked slow in this last fight against Faber. Faber is not near as fast as Aldo.

If Faber can land standing elbows at will against Brown, what will Aldo land?

Franklinfan47
6/8/09 10:33:52PM
Another impressive performance turned in by Jose Aldo. Can't wait to see this guy against Brown, should be a great fight.

However, I cant help but think that Aldo's hype is getting in peoples heads. It seems like in some of his fights ive watched, his opponents look like they've accepted defeat before the fights over.
Pookie
6/8/09 10:47:09PM
Aldo gets wild when he starts to flurry, and Brown has the type of style(and reach) to be able to clip him with something powerful.

Also Aldo's gas tank is still a question mark, it takes a special type of specimen to be as explosive as he is, and still have the cardio to push that type of pace for 5 rounds.

With that said, Aldo is obviously a beast, and we're finally going to see how his bjj game looks. Nova Uniao BJJ guys specialize in controlling fighters and being very good at not losing their position(Penn, Shaolin, etc).

Should be a great fight.
pv3Hpv3p
6/9/09 4:02:41PM
It seems like Aldo has all the momentum and hype around him in the world... But there are just a couple of quesiton marks for me that would worry me in a fight with Brown... Aldo's chin, Aldo's cardio, Aldo fighting off his back, and Aldo dealing with Brown's strength...

Brown's shown me he can take a shot... Shown that he can go 5 rounds solid... Shown that he' s next to impossible to keep down... And is the strongest dude I've ever seen at 145... This guy might not end up always having the most exciting fights, but it is going to be veeeeeery difficult for anyone to beat him at FW
breakdown5
6/11/09 9:42:51AM
I think that Aldo can hang with anyone in the weight class. He's got the JJ and an awesome stand up game. I think one of the only questions about Aldo is if he can go 25 mins. Brown might have the physical strength and wrestling to keep Aldo down and avoid the subs, but I would still pick Aldo in a fight vs Brown though. Aldo is just an animal and I think he'll have the belt before the end of the year. If Faber can push Brown to the limit with a broken hand, Aldo will get the finish IMO.