Jones vs Machida.. THOUGHTS?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Jones vs Machida.. THOUGHTS?
Next Page »
TeamDEY
12/11/11 12:32:44AM
So what are ya'lls overall view of the main event. IMO Machida won the first round and Jon Jones (of course) was wining the second round until he finished it. Sucks though, I really wanted to see a third! What are your thoughts???

I also think this was Jones' toughest test yet!
jae_1833
12/11/11 12:40:10AM
Machida showed some brief moments of brilliance, he did land a couple of good shots but I think the best match up right now iso Jon Jones vs Anderson Silva. Strikers delight, gnp vs subs....EPIC!
Budgellism
12/11/11 12:44:02AM
I was there live and I thought it was an entertaining fight. Machida was catching him in the first but I can't believe how little he did to defend the choke that put him out. Good test for Jones. But who the hell beats this guy? He's finished Shogun, Rampage and Machida now. There isn't another fighter on this planet that can say that. I want to see him against Hendo regardless of how slim a chance I'm giving him.
ncordless
12/11/11 1:17:43AM
Great fight. Nice to see Jones get some resistance for a bit. He handled it like a pro. That was a brutal guillotine. Jones' shows more technique every fight. He is going to be very special. Dropped Machida like a sack of potatoes.
Redkayak
12/11/11 1:42:42AM
Jones dropped him like a sack of potatoes
Redkayak
12/11/11 1:44:04AM

Posted by ncordless

Great fight. Nice to see Jones get some resistance for a bit. He handled it like a pro. That was a brutal guillotine. Jones' shows more technique every fight. He is going to be very special. Dropped Machida like a sack of potatoes.

lol wow i didnt read your post before i did mine.
Kpro
12/11/11 1:44:08AM
He basically dropped him like a sack of potatoes, if it hasn't been said already.
Chael_Sonnen
12/11/11 1:48:54AM
Waiting for the Machida had a bad cold
grappler0000
12/11/11 1:49:34AM

Posted by Kpro

He basically dropped him like a sack of potatoes, if it hasn't been said already.

Russet or Yukon Gold?
DeadHead988
12/11/11 2:02:23AM
Jones dropped him like a sack of potatos
Aether
12/11/11 2:04:40AM
potato.
Pskinner_mma314
12/11/11 2:14:23AM
Tater tots
FastKnockout
12/11/11 2:15:30AM
Jones chin needs to be tested, if only someone could hit the damn thing enough.
bjj1605
12/11/11 2:40:31AM

Posted by FastKnockout

Jones chin needs to be tested, if only someone could hit the damn thing enough.

Umm.... were we watching the same fight?

Machida landed CLEAN and HARD on Jones' chin. I had this question in the past as well, but I think it has been answered: Jon Jones does have a chin.

I was more impressed with Machida personally. He out struck Jones for 1 and a half rounds until Jones realized he was just plain bigger and stronger. After that he just kinda bullied him around. That choke wasn't very technical. It was brutal, but not clean.

I was also impressed that Machida was able to stand up so easily with Jones on top of him.

Great fight. Great test for the champ.
Aether
12/11/11 2:55:17AM
I think Jones came into the fight thinking his striking was better than it actually is. I knew Machida would be able to give him problems on the feet, but I also knew Jones could just revert to his wrestling and destroy any time he wanted to.
Pookie
12/11/11 3:36:54AM
Played out how i thought on the feet.

PFFFTTTT at all who told me Jones reach would be enough to nullify Machida's range.
PABLOMAFIOSO
12/11/11 8:23:46AM
I expected Jones to take Machida straight down. When they stood and traded I thought Jones was gonna get outpointed and was actually rooting for Machida. It was good to see Jones looking concerned after coming in a little bit cocky IMO.

Nevertheless great win for Bones
State_Champ
12/11/11 9:52:56AM
Jones is ridiculously talented.

Machida is still a very very dangerous opponent but Jones ability to adjust, combined with his killer instinct, is too much.

I was very impressed to see Jones totally switch gears from striking to grappling after losing to the first round by striking with Machida. I think Jones showed some serious fight intelligence and adaptability.
warglory
12/11/11 9:55:11AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihMMw0rnKz4

In all seriousness, I think that Jones is now officially the p4p best in the world.
scoozna
12/11/11 10:31:31AM
Jones is a real spud...err stud. Machida's mad-dash-straight-foward-striking was effective for a bit. But Jones has so many tools at his disposal. I think comparisons to Anderson and GSP are appropriate. Each is very good at multiple disciplines and combines them well.

I thought Rogan's comments about Jones' skinny legs were funny. What did he say "comically skinny" or something? It was like he thought they may be a potential weakness.
State_Champ
12/11/11 11:54:02AM

Posted by scoozna

.....I thought Rogan's comments about Jones' skinny legs were funny. What did he say "comically skinny" or something? It was like he thought they may be a potential weakness.

Many do.
sbulldavid
12/11/11 11:59:35AM
Jones is better than Silva overall, but Silva is pinpoint accurate and lethal when he chooses to be. I don't know what to think, everybody is beatable but Jones is the first guy that I've thought might be unbeatable in his weight class. He's got so much going for him physically that it's going to take another wrestler or a boxer that is stronger than him and able to either hurt him or put him on his back. His length is too much of a factor to overcome unless you can pressure him and maintain pressure.
Pookie
12/11/11 12:15:28PM
Jones is a better fighter than Anderson relative to dominating the division. But i think Anderson is still a better p4p fighter, as he doesn't have the size advantage that Jones has. Which, IMO, is extremely important for the success Jones has had.
tn_rebel
12/11/11 2:38:40PM

Posted by warglory

In all seriousness, I think that Jones is now officially the p4p best in the world.

It is definately getting hard to argue against that.
ncordless
12/11/11 2:58:45PM

Posted by Pookie

PFFFTTTT at all who told me Jones reach would be enough to nullify Machida's range.

You thought Machida would be put to sleep on his feet?

Machida hit him in the face once or twice. Was good to see, but Machida was hardly dominating him on the feet.

I like Machida, but the fact that highly a decorated karate master was able to hang with a guy who has been striking for 4 years for all of one round doesn't say much. 2 judges gave the round to Jones, I thought Machida might have squeeked out the round, or more likely it should have been 10-10 because neither really had an advantage over the other.
Aether
12/11/11 3:00:32PM

Posted by scoozna

Jones is a real spud...err stud. Machida's mad-dash-straight-foward-striking was effective for a bit. But Jones has so many tools at his disposal. I think comparisons to Anderson and GSP are appropriate. Each is very good at multiple disciplines and combines them well.

I thought Rogan's comments about Jones' skinny legs were funny. What did he say "comically skinny" or something? It was like he thought they may be a potential weakness.

They are a potential weakness. Did you see him walking after the Rampage fight? If someone lands a half a dozen hard kicks on one of those legs Jones' mobility is going to be massively reduced. I actually think this is probably how he will eventually lose.
Pookie
12/11/11 3:19:22PM

Posted by ncordless

Yup! And that he could stay on the outside successfully.
scoozna
12/11/11 4:34:49PM

Posted by Aether

Posted by scoozna

They are a potential weakness. Did you see him walking after the Rampage fight? If someone lands a half a dozen hard kicks on one of those legs Jones' mobility is going to be massively reduced. I actually think this is probably how he will eventually lose.

I didn't,but I'll assume he was limpy. But I like how his wrestling is so strong - and if someone thinks they are going to leg kick their way to victory with him, I believe they are going to get taken down and elbowed to smithereens.
bjj1605
12/11/11 4:43:51PM

Posted by warglory

I think he still has A LOT of catching up to do with both GSP and Anderson.

Just by the numbers, he's no where close. Talent wise, maybe, but not in terms of rankings.

Posted by ncordless

Posted by Pookie

Machida hit him in the face once or twice. Was good to see, but Machida was hardly dominating him on the feet.

I like Machida, but the fact that highly a decorated karate master was able to hang with a guy who has been striking for 4 years for all of one round doesn't say much. 2 judges gave the round to Jones, I thought Machida might have squeeked out the round, or more likely it should have been 10-10 because neither really had an advantage over the other.

Thats really really surprising. I didn't know that two judges gave the round to Jones.

Just goes to show how bad MMA judges really are. They don't understand Machida's style because it involves countering. Anything other than Knockdowns, Walking Forward, and Takedowns are lost on them (we might as well make those the official criteria.)

It wasn't a DOMINANT round by any means. Jones was in it the whole time and Machida wasn't active enough. But I don't think there's anyway you can say Jones won that round or even that it was a draw. Machida landed three very significant strikes and Jones landed none.
State_Champ
12/11/11 6:49:00PM

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by warglory

I think he still has A LOT of catching up to do with both GSP and Anderson.

Just by the numbers, he's no where close. Talent wise, maybe, but not in terms of rankings.

Posted by ncordless

Posted by Pookie

Thats really really surprising. I didn't know that two judges gave the round to Jones.

Just goes to show how bad MMA judges really are. They don't understand Machida's style because it involves countering. Anything other than Knockdowns, Walking Forward, and Takedowns are lost on them (we might as well make those the official criteria.)

It wasn't a DOMINANT round by any means. Jones was in it the whole time and Machida wasn't active enough. But I don't think there's anyway you can say Jones won that round or even that it was a draw. Machida landed three very significant strikes and Jones landed none.

My thoughts (without re-watching the fight yet):

Machida was a ghost in the first round.
Jones couldn't touch him (well, maybe Jones hit him once or twice).
Machida definitely landed multiple decent strikes on Jones.
I cannot see how Jones won the first round.
Pages: [1] 2