Jones vs Machida Score Card

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Jones vs Machida Score Card
TeamDEY
12/11/11 9:32:45PM
Just heard that 2 out of the 3 judges gave Jon Jones the first round of the Machida fight. I really don't understand this. Machida was making Jones miss and by far landed the harder and bigger shots. Don't understand at all how the judges gave Jones the first round.
jae_1833
12/11/11 9:37:31PM
Most of us wouldn't, but its a mute point now anyways.
grappler0000
12/11/11 9:46:23PM
I gave it a 10-10 last night. I just checked Fightmetric...preliminary results show Jones and Machida tied for both total strikes and significant strikes landed in round 1.
npayant
12/11/11 9:57:12PM
I actually gave it slightly to Jones 10-9. Of course this was just the "eye-ball" test, and I was watching some random ESPN films story at the same time, so I was slightly distracted. But I felt Machida was backing up just a little too much during the round (which is his style, I know) and Jones was the main aggressor. This is probably the problem many people, including a couple judges last night, evidently have with Machida and why it's difficult to judge his fights. Just look at the Shogun/Machida I and Rampage/Machida fights as prime examples - both difficult to judge. If this fight would have went the distance, I'm sure we would have had the same issue.

But I had a gut feeling something big was about to happen soon...and after that cut on the forehead, I knew the end was near.

Good first round from Machida though - better than I thought he'd do.
bjj1605
12/11/11 10:36:02PM
Let me explain it.

MMA judges suck. Period.
Chael_Sonnen
12/11/11 10:56:06PM
I gave Jones the 2nd round.
TeamDEY
12/11/11 11:15:17PM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Great words of advice from Chael Sonnen... Yet again
Pookie
12/11/11 11:45:29PM
I think Machida landed the harder shots, and dictated the pace in that first round.

Pskinner_mma314
12/12/11 2:56:24AM

Posted by TeamDEY

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

What a shocker...in all of Chael's fights I gave:

Trevor Prangley rd.1
Forrest Griffin rd.1
Jeremy Horn rd.2
Babalu rd.2
Jeremy Horn rd.2
Paulo Filho rd.2
Demian Maia rd.1
Anderson Silva rd.5

funny how submissions could win you the round huh
placente
12/12/11 3:21:18AM
i think the fight changed when jones landed that takedown, from there he cut machida and went for the kill. machida did good in the first, staggering jones a bit, beating him to the punch, i gave it 10-9 machida rd 1. Second round started the same but Jones was not as confident in his striking so he went for the takedown (which he got very easily), then from then on it was a matter of when he was gonna finish it.
warglory
12/12/11 7:51:31AM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

I'm sorry, but this was absolutely hilarious.
TeamDEY
12/12/11 9:35:24AM

Posted by Pookie

I think Machida landed the harder shots, and dictated the pace in that first round.

agreed
Boo_Radley21
12/12/11 9:44:46AM
Either way great fight and another sik finish from Jones. Wonder what he'll do to Rashad.
Chael_Sonnen
12/12/11 10:27:10AM

Posted by Boo_Radley21

Either way great fight and another sik finish from Jones. Wonder what he'll do to Rashad.

The same thing that he did to Shogun, Rampage & Machida.
emfleek
12/12/11 11:40:21AM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Posted by Boo_Radley21

The same thing that he did to Shogun, Rampage & Machida.

I actually think it may be worse. He's going to be emotional going in to the fight whether he wants to admit it or not.
Theoutlaw08
12/12/11 12:23:23PM
It doesn't matter what the score in the first round was....cause Jones choked him out in round 2. Round 2 was 10-0.
Poor_Franklin
12/12/11 1:17:30PM

Posted by Pskinner_mma314

Posted by TeamDEY

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Trevor Prangley rd.1
Forrest Griffin rd.1
Jeremy Horn rd.2
Babalu rd.2
Jeremy Horn rd.2
Paulo Filho rd.2
Demian Maia rd.1
Anderson Silva rd.5

kingsmasher
12/12/11 1:21:53PM

Posted by Pookie

Dictated the pace? Not at all Jones was the aggressor for most they judge on octagon control and Jones was more in teh middle...
bjj1605
12/12/11 1:59:24PM

Posted by kingsmasher

Posted by Pookie

Dictated the pace? Not at all Jones was the aggressor for most they judge on octagon control and Jones was more in teh middle...

This is the same sort of poor judging that the judges made. Just because Jones was moving forward does not mean that he was the aggressor or dictating the pace. MOVING BACK IS PART OF MACHIDA'S STYLE!!!! ITS CALLED COUNTERSTRIKING!!!! He drew Jones in and made him play his game. Machida definitely dictated the pace. You probably though rampage won his fight with Machida too

Posted by Pskinner_mma314

Posted by TeamDEY

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Trevor Prangley rd.1
Forrest Griffin rd.1
Jeremy Horn rd.2
Babalu rd.2
Jeremy Horn rd.2
Paulo Filho rd.2
Demian Maia rd.1
Anderson Silva rd.5

best post ever.

Chael Sonnen definitely lost all of those rounds.
the_01
12/12/11 4:48:55PM
I think Machida got too confident, and started to show off, this gave Jones a chance for an easy takedown. Damn Machida should of stayed with the plan.
ncordless
12/12/11 4:57:37PM
I think the right score for the 1st was either 10-10 or 10-9 for Machida. I don't see how Jones did enough to win that first round, and while Machida didn't do a whole lot either, if there was a winner to the round it was Machida.
icecold2357
12/12/11 5:27:32PM
Simply put, most judges in MMA aren't really qualified to judge an MMA fight. Even Jones knew he lost the first round. Machida quickly got his timing down and stunned him with a couple of shots.

I mean just to see how bad most of the judging is, look at most of the fights of Leonard Garcia that go to decision. Somehow if you swing wildly while not landing anything and your opponent is picking you apart, you get the decision bc of "aggression". The fight between Diego Sanchez and Kampmann is another good example, bc Diego totally came out with the face of a winner lol

My favorites though are definitely when a guy completely dominates the other, but yet there is that one judge who thinks the other guy won. So you go from what should be 30-27 across the boards to the one fighter hoping there is only one idiot judge, not 2
Chael_Sonnen
12/12/11 7:09:05PM

Posted by Theoutlaw08

It doesn't matter what the score in the first round was....cause Jones choked him out in round 2. Round 2 was 10-0.

Yup, that's like saying that Machida was winning the second fight against Shogun before getting cremated....the only thing that matters is the end result....nit pickers gonna pick.