Jones vs. Evans official for Atlanta at UFC 145

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Jones vs. Evans official for Atlanta at UFC 145
emfleek
2/7/12 10:18:46AM
The UFC's spring fight card in Atlanta has its main event, as UFC president Dana White confirmed today that light heavyweight champion Jon Jones will defend his title against former-teammate-turned-rival Rashad Evans, a former beltholder in that division. The heated matchup was expected after Evans handily decisioned then-undefeated Phil Davis at UFC on FOX and was made official today

Verbal agreements are in for a thrilling battle between bantamweights this spring. "What may be the hottest prospect in the 135-pound division takes on one of the all-time greats when Michael McDonald meets former WEC champion Miguel Torres at UFC 145 in Atlanta," said UFC president Dana White

LINK
TeamDEY
2/7/12 11:01:19AM
Rashad completely out muscles Jones takes him down smothers him and get the W by dec. War RASHAD!
airkerma
2/7/12 11:05:04AM

Posted by TeamDEY

Rashad completely out muscles Jones takes him down smothers him and get the W by dec. War RASHAD!

And for those of us living in this particular plane of reality, Jones by rd 3 tko/sub.
Budgellism
2/7/12 11:09:31AM

Posted by airkerma

Posted by TeamDEY

And for those of us living in this particular plane of reality, Jones by rd 3 tko/sub.

emfleek
2/7/12 11:09:57AM

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by airkerma

Posted by TeamDEY

x2
Theoutlaw08
2/7/12 11:27:44AM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by airkerma

Posted by TeamDEY

x2

x10
However....I think it will be far over before the 3rd round.
Bubbles
2/7/12 11:33:10AM
i smell an av bet
tmas
2/7/12 11:57:17AM
someone send me an av bet, idc ill take either side!
Theoutlaw08
2/7/12 12:09:50PM

Posted by tmas

someone send me an av bet, idc ill take either side!

Im down, Ill take Jones
gartface
2/7/12 12:13:13PM
Hopefully I get to go to this event. Can't wait to see this fight!

Oh, and count me as someone who isn't on this plane of reality then, because I feel like this is going to be a close fight.
TeamDEY
2/7/12 1:20:40PM

Posted by airkerma

Posted by TeamDEY

Hey I'm just a loyal fan to Rashad. We already know Jones isn't loyal at all. Rashad is going to surprise everyone. Jones may be getting the Chuck Liddell treatment from Rashad.
tn_rebel
2/7/12 1:28:13PM
I realize that in mma anyone can land 1 lucky shot and end the fight, but I really don't see anyway Rashad can win this fight. Jones reach advantage will make it hard for Rashad to even touch him, and if they lock up I see Jones having the advantage there as well. I think Jones will beat him into a compromising position and sub him in the 3rd.
Budgellism
2/7/12 2:19:29PM

Posted by TeamDEY

Posted by airkerma

Posted by TeamDEY

Hey I'm just a loyal fan to Rashad. We already know Jones isn't loyal at all. Rashad is going to surprise everyone. Jones may be getting the Chuck Liddell treatment from Rashad.

What does Jones being loyal or not have to do with Evans winning this fight?
isk
2/7/12 2:21:55PM
Rashad's super athletic with excellent clinch work, but he relies on technique as much as his power. And I don't want to say he's an undersized LHW, I think that's the right weight class for him, but he's not a monster at that weight class.

Compare that with Bones who'll likely be fighting at heavyweight in 5 years or so, and then add to that his own effectiveness in the clinch along with a superior reach and submission game.

I think Rashad is actually an intriguing style matchup for Bones, just because he's so quick and fluid and he knows how to win. This test will be mental as much as physical for Bones, maybe even more towards the mental side, whereas I have no doubt that Rashad's mindset will be calm and collected coming in.

I'm picking Bones for obvious reasons, but I also advise not to sleep on Rashad. There's a lot of x-factors in this match-up, and I think that's what makes it so interesting.
Dberntson
2/7/12 2:59:33PM
I'll have to stick with Jones on this one. The Blackzillians are either not as good as advertised, cursed or in one heck of a slump.

Look at their recent track record:

Melvin Gallard 0-2, both submissions, since moving to the camp. Anthony Johnson was grossly overweight in a higher weight class, gassed out, was finished and then cut from the UFC. I'm sure there are more examples, but I realy dont know who else is in their camp.

Rashad better start knocking on wood, throwing salt over his shoulder, or find some other way to break the camps bad luck.
Poor_Franklin
2/7/12 3:10:26PM
it's nice to see this news covered on ESPN
prophecy033
2/7/12 4:48:17PM
Finally, I'm going with Jones. I think he's just too well rounded for Evans. This is gonna be awesome
pmoney
2/7/12 5:11:45PM
I think Rashad has a little better movement than Jones on the feet. Jones' reach and diverse strikes are out of this world though, and those factors play the equalizer, as I see it.

This should be a great fight. Jones has ruined everyone in his path, but then again, Rashad has as well, save for Machida. And Machida was getting the better of Jones prior to getting dropped and subsequently choked out...
prozacnation1978
2/7/12 5:23:25PM
The card is full 11 fights.
No Antonio silva fight
The card ia good. My guess is rothwell vs schaub co main. Or torres vs mcdonald

Can't wait to go see the biggest grudge match of all time
supatolacyl
2/7/12 10:48:22PM
I too will be pulling for Rashad, I believe this fight will be closer contested then most think. Rashads speed and illusivness does him well and he has good power in his hands, the real test being can he get inside of Jones massive reach. Rashad is very good at getting takedowns off of kicks and Jones sure loves him some kicks. Another thing that benefits Evans is that he always comes out with a solid gameplan and doesn't faulter from it. I think this fight has the markings to be a 5rd war.
Lesnar1
2/8/12 1:29:47AM

Posted by prozacnation1978

I wouldn't say it's the biggest grudge match of all time. Ortiz/Shamrock, Lidell/Ortiz, Lesnar/Mir are some that come to mind which I feel were more heated than Jones v Evans.
Cooler
2/8/12 2:25:40AM
I for one am very excited the Commission allowed Genetic Engineering for Jon Jones to fight himself.
prophecy033
2/8/12 3:18:02AM

Posted by Lesnar1

Posted by prozacnation1978

I wouldn't say it's the biggest grudge match of all time. Ortiz/Shamrock, Lidell/Ortiz, Lesnar/Mir are some that come to mind which I feel were more heated than Jones v Evans.

Silva vs Sonnen is definetly more of a grudge match than Jones vs Evans
Kpro
2/8/12 4:31:20AM

Posted by supatolacyl

I believe this fight will be closer contested then most think.

You're probably right. My first instinct was that Jones would break Herrings fastest KO in MMA history over Nakao record, so if the bell rings then I'm wrong.
bjj1605
2/8/12 5:53:56PM
It's been too long since we've had a huge upset in MMA.

Evans might actually have a chance. The MMA gods require a sacrifice and it isn't a virgin. It's a fighter who "can't lose."
Hendo67
2/8/12 6:37:27PM
This fight will be over in the first two rounds... Evans will get smashed.