DeLaHoya- dec 11% (1)
DeLaHoya- Submission 33% (3)
Pacman- ko 44% (4)
Pacman- dec 0% (0)
Pacman- Haduken 11% (1)
seanfu
11/5/08 1:49:42AM
Who wins these two?

Personally, I thought Jones' new defense he showed against Tito Trinidad was amature and was really vulnerable. His offense was okay but not great. He has shown an ability and want to grow into a style he can age with but it's still C level.

Calzaghe is a terrible fighter. He does zero damage and has openly stated that his big concern is his undefeated record for retirement. In my eyes, no more than average heart. But such a tough style. Taler made for old fighters. His chop punch barrages dont damage but they do hit and he is busy.

I think Calzaghe runs away with an easy decision.

DeLaHoya is an aged fighter who couldn't touch the level of perfection he had as an in prime hungry fighter. He lacks that unpredictable explosive factor and ability to match his mental and physical timing for KOs. He has a great jab and his passion seems to have returned.

Pacquiou is a terrifying fighter with unbeatable cardio. He's fearless and loves the run straight forward and bomb approach which is tough to deal with. He has no quit unless he's knocked out.

This fight is tough. DeLaHoya is an aged fighter but had height and weight advantages in this fight. And a lot. The X factor seems to be whether Pacqiou has enough power to knock his opponent out. Also DeLaHoya is cutting a lot of weight so the dry up may be a factor.

Pacqiou by 8-4 or somewhere in that area for a decision win in a classic action fight.

Any predictions on the fight?
MMAcca
11/5/08 8:42:17AM
Calzaghe will finish it in rounds 5/6.

De La Hoya (If they were the same weight class i'd pick Manny) will probably finish his fight before 12 rounds too.
Red-Dragon
11/5/08 3:30:03PM

Posted by seanfu
Calzaghe is a terrible fighter.

Over 10 years as champ and undefeated in his pro career of 46 fights and he is a terrible fighter???????

I refuse to even get in a discussion with you about boxing.
copcopps
11/5/08 5:55:56PM
I'm picking Jones and Pacman. Too many X-Factors for The Golden Boy. I'm picking Jones mainly for sentimental reasons though
seanfu
11/5/08 6:03:53PM

Posted by Red-Dragon

Posted by seanfu

Over 10 years as champ and undefeated in his pro career of 46 fights and he is a terrible fighter???????

Why isn't my idol Rocky Marciano the greatest heavyweight of all time? (49-0-0-1) because the talent he faught.

Calzaghe hasn't faught anyone special except Hopkins and it was a perfect matchup, just like jones. If he fights someone under 35 who is a top guy I'll give him a chance.

I could be world champion of the junior super macdaddy welterweight division for 10 years but it won't make me special if there's no talent higher than a C level.

That's why.
Aaronno9
11/5/08 6:13:38PM

Posted by seanfu

Posted by Red-Dragon

Posted by seanfu

Why isn't my idol Rocky Marciano the greatest heavyweight of all time? (49-0-0-1) because the talent he faught.

Calzaghe hasn't faught anyone special except Hopkins and it was a perfect matchup, just like jones. If he fights someone under 35 who is a top guy I'll give him a chance.

That's why.

Um, Mikkel Kessler anyone? If you even comeback and try to tell me Mikkel was over rated or isnt a top level boxer then your obviously as dumb in regards to boxing as your first post suggests.
higdon10
11/6/08 12:05:24AM

Posted by Red-Dragon

Posted by seanfu

Im with you Red-Dragon. Calzaghe doesn't lose fights.
seanfu
11/6/08 12:56:42AM
If Calzaghe beats an A to B fighter (world class) then I'll personally apoligize to all of you. But the man, as smart as he is, really isn't great on a world class level. If you count top super middleweights (who?) then sure, but boxing overall not so much. He's a guy out for the money (no problems) but doesn't want to fight the best.

If he sends Jones out in the first I may be impressed. But Jones's chin isn't much and his career is close to the end. Like I said, if he uses his balls and fights someone not old and is still hungry, (and kudos for the Kessler fight), who has talent, I will eat my words. I could even be a fan if he did.
Pookie
11/6/08 1:38:53AM

Posted by seanfu

If Calzaghe beats an A to B fighter (world class) then I'll personally apoligize to all of you. But the man, as smart as he is, really isn't great on a world class level. If you count top super middleweights (who?) then sure, but boxing overall not so much. He's a guy out for the money (no problems) but doesn't want to fight the best.

If he sends Jones out in the first I may be impressed. But Jones's chin isn't much and his career is close to the end. Like I said, if he uses his balls and fights someone not old and is still hungry, (and kudos for the Kessler fight), who has talent, I will eat my words. I could even be a fan if he did.

Are you really calling Hopkins less than a World Class Fighter? This is the most ridiculous thread ive ever read.
MMAcca
11/6/08 1:44:04AM

Posted by seanfu

isn't great on a world class level. If you count top super middleweights (who?) then sure, but boxing overall not so much.

That's his weight class!!

You're sounding dumber with each post you make. He's not gonna start fighting HWs or LWs now is he
MMAcca
11/6/08 1:44:50AM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by seanfu

Are you really calling Hopkins less than a World Class Fighter? This is the most ridiculous thread ive ever read.

fullerene
11/6/08 8:30:37AM
This should be two separate threads so I'll just give my opinion on the fight coming up.

Joe Calzaghe is a very good fighter--the best in the game between 160 and 176 pounds right now and one of the top 2-3 boxers pound for pound. His biggest assets are an unorthodox style, a champion's attitude (hasn't lost in many years, back to his early amateur days) and amazing speed for a guy his age--seemingly undiminished after a full career.

Right now RJJ is probably a borderline top 10 guy in the weight range he fights in and nowhere near the p4p ranks. Roy was a very good fighter who might have been an all-time great but who never tested himself to be able to prove it....there's also a chance that he would have been exposed earlier if he had picked more competitive fights (Dariusz M, Calzaghe, Ottke, Hopkins II). His biggest assets are an unorthodox style, a champion's attitude (to the point of self-delusion) and his speed--he was one of the fastest fighters ever at his weight, but it has declined as it normally does late in a fighter's career.

This fight seems like a mismatch in Calzaghe's favor and a meaningless matchup against a "named" opponent who is past him prime. But I don't see it that way. Jones' diminished speed may still be better than Calzaghe's undiminished speed and if he gets off first he has a good chance of winning. Neither guy is going to be overwhelmed, intimidated or KOd. I was impressed by the adjustments that Calzaghe made in two recent fights that he was losing, both to very tough fighters, in Mikkel Kessler and Bernard Hopkins. I've never seen Jones do something similar (ever) and so I have to lean towards Calzaghe in a fight that will probably be tough for both guys. Calzaghe by close UD.

The consequence of this fight will be for the historical standings of the 160-176 pound fighters of this era. There have been some good ones who are coming to the end of their careers or have recently retired--Maske, Hill, Michaelcheski, Ottke, Toney, Tarver...--but three names have jumped to the front in the last few years as these guys finally took the challenging fights they had been ducking--Roy Jones, Joe Calzaghe and Bernard Hopkins. How they end up doing against each other--whether it's in the prime of their careers or not--is going to have a lot of influence in how they are remembered 30 or 40 years from now. When somebody says "Joe Calzaghe was the greatest fighter of his day?" and somebody else argues back, "No it was Roy Jones Jr." they are going to look at their records and this fight--even at the end of their careers--is going to have a lot of influence over who wins the argument.