Jon Jones Says Rashad Evans Ducked UFC 140 Fight

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Jon Jones Says Rashad Evans Ducked UFC 140 Fight
Budgellism
10/7/11 10:18:41AM
Did you tell the UFC that since Evans wasn't ready to fight in December that you would rather wait a month or two to fight him so you can finally put this beef behind you?

Well, Dana White basically needed someone to save 140. I didn't necessarily want to fight at 140, but because it was Rashad, I said, 'You know what? I would take the fight in nine weeks.' I'm already in shape. I already know what I want to do. Rashad, predicting that I would say no, he kind of kicked himself in the butt because I said yes, he turns around and says, 'Oh, I didn't expect Jon to say yes. I don't want to fight him that soon.' So in reality, he's kind of the one who's ducking the fight. I feel like he's ducking the fight.

- Jon Jones in an interview

LINK
bigrand826
10/7/11 10:55:10AM
Yeah, I saw this. Jones says Rashad is ducking him because Rashad is doing somehting similar to what Jones did earlier this year.

I just think it is weird that it is supposedly Rashad that introduced the idea to the UFC of having Jones headline 140. To me, it sounds like the UFC never intended to have Jones on that card until Rashad asked for that date. Jones was never officially announced as being on that card, but now that Rashad has to wait 3 more weeks before being cleared to train and can't fight on that card, the UFC acts like they MUST have Jones on that card?

Also, Jones sounds like the only reason he was accepting the 140 date was because it was Rashad, who he is familiar with due to training with him. But now, he's facing Machida, who most people would want more time to prepare for, and Jones accepts because the UFC supposedly NEEDS him to be on that card even though they apparently never had any plans of putting him on the card.

With Rashad only needing 3 more weeks, why not just put Jones-Evans on the 141 card on 12/30? It isn't like the UFC hasn't shuffled cards before. And with Lesnar-Reem on that card, the UFC would be looking at a potential PPV buy record. Seems to me like that makes much more sense and doesn't come off like the UFC is sticking it to Rashad again.
KungFuMaster
10/7/11 11:18:46AM
Ducking is an art and requires years of training. Ask Tito.
grappler0000
10/7/11 11:37:28AM

Posted by bigrand826

With Rashad only needing 3 more weeks, why not just put Jones-Evans on the 141 card on 12/30? It isn't like the UFC hasn't shuffled cards before. And with Lesnar-Reem on that card, the UFC would be looking at a potential PPV buy record. Seems to me like that makes much more sense and doesn't come off like the UFC is sticking it to Rashad again.

Then who headlines 140? Tickets go on sale in a week. And if it turns out that Rashad will need more time, then they have done all of the shifting around for nothing. Successful businesses don't leave these things to chance when there's a solution sitting right in front of them.
prozacnation1978
10/7/11 12:10:32PM
I saw evans in denver
He wouldn't sign autographs cause his hand was in a cast
He's not getting it off for another week or two
Chael_Sonnen
10/7/11 3:54:08PM

Posted by KungFuMaster

Or Vitor.
bigrand826
10/7/11 5:18:53PM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by bigrand826

Then who headlines 140? Tickets go on sale in a week. And if it turns out that Rashad will need more time, then they have done all of the shifting around for nothing. Successful businesses don't leave these things to chance when there's a solution sitting right in front of them.

You missed my point. I understand there wasn't a headline for 140. But if you believe what Jones is saying, then until Rashad was asking for Jones at 140, Jones wasn't considered to headline 140. So even then, they didn't have a headline figured out. And for Jones-Evans to headline 141 was just a suggestion as it fit the 3 week delay that Rashad is facing. They could easily have headlined a card in January without screwing Rashad.

So, either the UFC didn't know who would headline 140 (with only a week or so before tickets go on sale), or Jones is lying. If the UFC didn't know who would headline 140, then they really dodged a bullet with Rashad getting Jones to agree to the 12/10 date. Then when the doctor doesn't clear Rashad to train in time to get a camp in, the UFC gets Jones to stay on the card so they still have a headliner. And Rashad, who according to Jones, is basically the reason the UFC was able to find a main event for 140, gets passed up by a guy who doesn't deserve a title shot yet.

The UFC is a successful business, but it sounds like Rashad is a victim of UFC mismanagement in this situation.
grappler0000
10/7/11 5:52:51PM

Posted by bigrand826

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by bigrand826

You missed my point. I understand there wasn't a headline for 140. But if you believe what Jones is saying, then until Rashad was asking for Jones at 140, Jones wasn't considered to headline 140. So even then, they didn't have a headline figured out. And for Jones-Evans to headline 141 was just a suggestion as it fit the 3 week delay that Rashad is facing. They could easily have headlined a card in January without screwing Rashad.

So, either the UFC didn't know who would headline 140 (with only a week or so before tickets go on sale), or Jones is lying. If the UFC didn't know who would headline 140, then they really dodged a bullet with Rashad getting Jones to agree to the 12/10 date. Then when the doctor doesn't clear Rashad to train in time to get a camp in, the UFC gets Jones to stay on the card so they still have a headliner. And Rashad, who according to Jones, is basically the reason the UFC was able to find a main event for 140, gets passed up by a guy who doesn't deserve a title shot yet.

The UFC is a successful business, but it sounds like Rashad is a victim of UFC mismanagement in this situation.

The business moves on...the belt doesn't stay on hold for a challenger. Call it what you want. I'd say he's more a victim of circumstance. It is what it is.
Pookie
10/7/11 7:19:10PM
Jones probably believes what he's saying too.

After you pull out of a fight because of a surgery, and then opt to not get the surgery, i don't think you can call another fighter out for ducking you. Especially if he's injured with the same injury you claimed, but more severe.

This is like the Pot calling a Black Hole black.
papercut
10/8/11 1:31:07AM

Posted by Pookie

Jones probably believes what he's saying too.

After you pull out of a fight because of a surgery, and then opt to not get the surgery, i don't think you can call another fighter out for ducking you. Especially if he's injured with the same injury you claimed, but more severe.

This is like the Pot calling a Black Hole black.

this.
ghandikush
10/8/11 2:27:40AM

Posted by Budgellism

Did you tell the UFC that since Evans wasn't ready to fight in December that you would rather wait a month or two to fight him so you can finally put this beef behind you?

Well, Dana White basically needed someone to save 140. I didn't necessarily want to fight at 140, but because it was Rashad, I said, 'You know what? I would take the fight in nine weeks.' I'm already in shape. I already know what I want to do. Rashad, predicting that I would say no, he kind of kicked himself in the butt because I said yes, he turns around and says, 'Oh, I didn't expect Jon to say yes. I don't want to fight him that soon.' So in reality, he's kind of the one who's ducking the fight. I feel like he's ducking the fight.

- Jon Jones in an interview

LINK

Doubtful considering you skipped over him for an easier fight in Rampage.
Manak
10/8/11 3:02:46AM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Posted by KungFuMaster

Or Vitor.

Who has Vitor ducked???? randy 3 times? chuck? tito? wand? Hendo? overeem twice? franklin? n ohh dont forget anderson????

back to point as others have stated, jones bailed for surgery then didnt have it but now is calling out rashad for having the surgery he didnt get???????