Jon Jones says opponent tougher than his previous two

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Jon Jones says opponent tougher than his previous two
BigIP
7/29/10 3:57:06PM
"I think Vladimir is tougher than Brandon Vera," Jones (10-1 MMA, 4-1 UFC) said. "I think Vladimir is tougher than Matt Hamill."

Link
warglory
7/29/10 5:21:26PM
Hard to argue this, the dude is a rock.
BigBadAl
7/29/10 5:32:12PM
This is his toughest task yet without a doubt. He can make a real statement if he manages to beat this guy convincingly without the need of the judges.
SamPan
7/29/10 6:31:46PM
I think Vera's the toughest of the three personally. I mean he beat Couture on a lot of guys' scorecards.
BlueSkiesBurn
7/29/10 7:57:27PM
Vera might have beaten Couture on some cards, but he took the L. Additionally, Couture's W/L record is far from stellar. Couture is a legend in the sport because of the fact that he can still win even at his advanced fighting age, not because he's got the most impressive record.

Maty has been in the sport for a long time with a much better record and some quality wins himself. Matyushenko has accomplished more in MMA than Vera or Hamill. Actual wins over Lil Nog, Rizzo and White count for much more than a win over Randy "on a lot of guys' scorecards."
seanfu
7/29/10 8:25:28PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Vera might have beaten Couture on some cards, but he took the L. Additionally, Couture's W/L record is far from stellar. Couture is a legend in the sport because of the fact that he can still win even at his advanced fighting age, not because he's got the most impressive record.

Maty has been in the sport for a long time with a much better record and some quality wins himself. Matyushenko has accomplished more in MMA than Vera or Hamill. Actual wins over Lil Nog, Rizzo and White count for much more than a win over Randy "on a lot of guys' scorecards."

matyushenko is stylistically probably the easiest so far of the 3.
sbulldavid
7/29/10 9:35:33PM
The janitor is a tough dude, I think he'll take it to a decision, and lets not forgot, where Jones is training now days. Matyushenko was once considered a top ten fighter, and he is still a very tough fighter, Stylistically he is a more difficult fight IMO, he's tough to finish and he knows how to grind a decision out, he's a very smart veteran fighter, he really is among the most underrated fighters in MMA history.
bjj1605
7/29/10 9:52:36PM
I think he's on the same level as Brandon and maybe a small step up from Hamill. I agree that stylistically he gives Vlady less problems on paper than Vera did.

All three are very tough guys tho...
ncordless
7/29/10 10:09:37PM
I think Maty has accomplished more in the sport (IFL forever!!!), but if he and Vera met I would favor Vera. As far as who would provides the most interesting test for Jones, they are just different. With Vera, it just seemed like a rather poor style match up for Jones. Vera has a good defensive clinch wrestling and a stronger jits and striking pedigree. turned out, Jones' greco was way too much for Vera and even a guy as lanky as Vera couldn't handle the length of Jones from the bottom. This test is a little different. Maty is a grinder who can go three rounds. Jones has shown in the past that he can gas in the later rounds. Jon Jones is going have his way with Maty unless he runs out of gas. If that happens, all bets are off because Maty can mop the floor for a couple rounds with the best of them.
DanaFWhite
7/29/10 10:38:10PM
This is such a great fight! This is the work of Joe Silva, we're throwing two guys in The Octagon who are among the top in the world. This is going to be such a great show for the fans.

Vlad is a very experienced, tough, and intelligent fighters and has a very great chance to win. But he's fighting the young up and comer who has some of the craziest moves we've ever seen in the UFC! This is such a great fight!
Gogoplatapus
7/29/10 10:40:29PM
really dude? DanaFWhite? FML.
BlueSkiesBurn
7/29/10 10:49:06PM

Posted by Gogoplatapus

I left it alone. I figure it won't be up long. But yeah, that's uh....something.
xtra_chewy
7/29/10 11:23:53PM

Posted by DanaFWhite

This is such a great fight! This is the work of Joe Silva, we're throwing two guys in The Octagon who are among the top in the world. This is going to be such a great show for the fans.

Vlad is a very experienced, tough, and intelligent fighters and has a very great chance to win. But he's fighting the young up and comer who has some of the craziest moves we've ever seen in the UFC! This is such a great fight!

IS THAT YOU DANA?!?!?! I knew you would visit the playground sooner or later!
Gogoplatapus
7/29/10 11:47:50PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by Gogoplatapus

I left it alone. I figure it won't be up long. But yeah, that's uh....something.

I call shenanigans.
BlueSkiesBurn
7/29/10 11:52:10PM

Posted by Gogoplatapus

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by Gogoplatapus

I call shenanigans.

Yeah, and his shenanigans are cruel and tragic.
chickmagnet
7/30/10 12:35:08AM
I would agree. Vlad is a major veteran with way more experience than Jones, and Jones' last two opponents. Not to mention Vlads wrestling is very very good. The question is how will it play out? The two are such good wrestlers that it may either be a 15 minute scramble, or they will stand and strike. Vlad is definitely Jones' toughest test yet.
Mr_Dead_Sexy
7/30/10 7:06:51AM
Vladdy is always a tough fight and all, but I am still convinced that he slept in the day the MMA gods handed out nicknames.
icantthinkofanything
7/30/10 12:02:14PM
Vlad maybe slightly better because he is a smarter fighter than Vera, and has better wins than Hammil. We will have to see how Jones does if he gets put on his back by Vlad. If Vlad does anything but go for the takedown, he has less chance of winning. Once Jones wins this one, fighting 1 of these guys------Lil Nog, Bader, Rampage or Machida-------- should earn him the title shot imo
EliasG
8/1/10 3:45:57PM
Vladi is a rock. He may be older and he may be slower but I don't think that there is a question to his toughness. Is he tougher than Vera or Hamill? We'll have to see when they are in the cage. I thought Hammil was pretty tough too until he got picked up and slammed into the mat and didn't look like he wanted to fight much anymore. I thought Vera was pretty tough until he quit due to a brutal elbow by Jones. No diss on vera though, tough doesn't equal dumb---he needed to stop after getting his orbital bone smashed. You don't want to get more damage to that and have sinus infections the rest of your life.