Jon Jones Says He Doesn't Want to Fight Anderson Silva, Considers Him a 'Mentor'

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Jon Jones Says He Doesn't Want to Fight Anderson Silva, Considers Him a 'Mentor'
prophecy033
3/10/12 4:30:30AM
Since becoming UFC light heavyweight champion last year, the comparisons between Jon Jones and Anderson Silva have been endless.

Both competitors' performances in their respective divisions have made fans call for a potential dream fight, but Silva has already shot down the idea of facing Jones.

And now Jones has also played down the notion of fighting the Brazilian, who he considers the top-pound-for-pound fighter in the sport and a role model.

Link
Boo_Radley21
3/10/12 5:42:56AM
If i was the best up and coming basketball player and got a shot at playing against Michael Jordan I wouldn't say no. If I was a boxer and got offered a fight against Muhammed Ali I wouldn't say no. Jones this is inexcusable.
warglory
3/10/12 8:30:20AM
This is ridiculous. I can kind of understand when two fighters have been training together for years, and know all of their secrets, why they might not want to fight one another, but Jones and Silva don't regularly train together, and they are both professional fighters. If fans demand the fight, the UFC wants it to happen--what's the hold up? If anything, the two may gain even more respect for one another like with what happened between BJ Penn and Matt Hughes.
airkerma
3/10/12 10:01:46AM
Well duh
why dont people realize that all the best p4p fighters train exclusively together so that we cant pit them against each other in what would be one of the most legendary fights ever
Manak
3/10/12 12:08:01PM

Posted by Boo_Radley21

If i was the best up and coming basketball player and got a shot at playing against Michael Jordan I wouldn't say no. If I was a boxer and got offered a fight against Muhammed Ali I wouldn't say no. Jones this is inexcusable.

seariouly, not mention guys like MJ wanted to beat everyone, Ali ruined his friendship with joe frazier but created one of the greatest fights in history. Payton manning and Tom brady are friends but both win at the expensive of the other. the best in every sport want to face & beat best.. thats a part of what makes them the best. I can understand the klitschkos since they are actually brothers
steve_mckay
3/10/12 3:00:49PM
They are not even in the same weight class and fighting isn't anything like basketball.
Chael_Sonnen
3/10/12 3:11:40PM
Mentor for what? On how to be a fraud?
fullfighting
3/10/12 3:55:21PM
the two fakest guys in the sport, but also probably the two best. They wont fight so i suggest a swimming contest.
george112
3/10/12 4:02:18PM
Even though they are in two different weight classes if its still possible to maybe meet in the middle or even one go up or down without giving either one an advantage the fight should happen .

Fight would be absolutely badass imo.but hey we have been hearing this not gonna fight this guy blah blah for years from everyone.so it doesn't surprise me 2 more guys jumped on that bandwagon
prophecy033
3/10/12 4:24:29PM

Posted by steve_mckay

They are not even in the same weight class and fighting isn't anything like basketball.

Jones is the LHW Champ, Anderson's fought at LHW and still can, it CAN happen
Sir_Karl
3/10/12 4:24:57PM
Cluck, cluck, cluck.
bjj1605
3/10/12 4:41:24PM
This is disappointing.

No GSP vs Anderson.

No Jones vs Anderson.

I guess all these guys would rather be big fish in small ponds.
tcunningham
3/10/12 5:07:02PM
i dont think its too big of a deal because i think anderson is getting close to retirement anyway and really doesnt have any reason to go up and fight jones. normally i would complain but this time i dont care. silva needs to get passed chael and jones, IMO, still has at least 2 big fights in front of him in rashad and hendo
Bubbles
3/10/12 5:30:50PM
a "mentor"?? I don't remember Jones spending a camp with Anderson, or even a week...so what mentorship is there?
thevoodooninja
3/10/12 5:35:28PM

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by steve_mckay

Jones is the LHW Champ, Anderson's fought at LHW and still can, it CAN happen

it can happen but too bad it wont...

just another reason for me not to like either one of them
BlueSkiesBurn
3/10/12 6:31:05PM
*yawn* Who cares. Anderson is 38 and nearing retirement. Jones is 24 and probably not even entering his prime (as scary as that is). They were never going to fight and, even if they did, Silva stands to gain practically nothing. If he beats him, he should. He's 14 years older than the kid, has WAY more years fighting, he's got WAY WAY WAY more training than Jones, and he's just plain better.

If Jones wins it becomes a nice feather in his cap, but people will undoubtedly point out the fact that Anderson is 38, most likely 39 or 40 when this fight takes place, is nearing the end of his career, and time just caught up to him.

I was never much interested in this fight anyhow and it's even less likely that it will happen. However, Jones once said he would never fight Rashad either. Take this for what it's worth.
pmoney
3/10/12 8:21:21PM

This is a spetacular post, and thusly I have awarded you a prop.

Andy looked fat and old last time he fought at 205, and that was years ago. Granted, that was a bloodletting. But Silva has little to gain except some tarnish on his legacy.

However: I consider Anderson's age the ONLY factor for me not being mad at this. If Andy were 32 instead of 38, I'd be twitter bombing Dana and Lorenzo this instant.

I am SO tired of hearing fighters say who they will and won't fight. This is called the tail wagging the dog. Anyone walk in to their corporate employer's office and make their own schedule? Fuck no you don't, not unless you are in management. If you're a fighter, I consider you on the mail room level, even if you're the champ.

Zuffa needs to start cutting people. I want Kos-Fitch made. Any one of them refuses, fire them.
Chael_Sonnen
3/10/12 9:17:07PM
If Joe Silva and Uncle Dana say that you have to fight, you have to fight.
Poor_Franklin
3/11/12 1:16:38PM
my fav fights are when fighters step out of their natural weight classes to fight the best of the best for p4p glory.

sucks this one probably wont happen
Bubbles
3/12/12 8:10:05PM

Posted by pmoney

I am SO tired of hearing fighters say who they will and won't fight. This is called the tail wagging the dog. Anyone walk in to their corporate employer's office and make their own schedule? Fuck no you don't, not unless you are in management. If you're a fighter, I consider you on the mail room level, even if you're the champ.

Zuffa needs to start cutting people. I want Kos-Fitch made. Any one of them refuses, fire them.

there is a difference between 2 best friends who have trained together for a decade and 2 fighters who respect each other and have never stepped in each other's camp....hell even a 3 months training session is next to meaningless here.

Kos not fighting Fitch is fine by me, just like Cain not fighting Cormier or Melendez not fighting Nate Diaz. But if Hardy says he won't fight Serra because of the 1 or 2 weeks he spent in NY getting ready for GSP, then I have a problem there (or anything else along those lines)