Jon Jones pleads guilty to DWI

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Jon Jones pleads guilty to DWI
postman
5/29/12 12:02:06PM
Link

UFC light-heavyweight champion Jon "Bones" Jones, a Union-Endicott High School graduate who currently lives in Ithaca, entered a guilty plea Tuesday to a misdemeanor charge of driving while intoxicated.

Binghamton City Court Judge Daniel L. Seiden told Jones his driving privileges in New York were suspended immediately, and he will need to undergo an alcohol abuse and dependency evaluation.

The charges stem from a May 19 accident in which Jones was driving a 2012 Bentley that it struck a pole at Grand Boulevard and Helen Street on the city's West Side, according to city police
KungFuMaster
5/29/12 12:29:01PM
Let this be the beginning of the end.
prophecy033
5/29/12 12:55:48PM
At least he's owning up to it, a lot of others would have plead not guilty or no contest. Granted, he has really no other choice but like I said, he could drag this out but chose to take his punishment and move on
BuffaloDave
5/29/12 2:13:28PM

Posted by prophecy033

At least he's owning up to it, a lot of others would have plead not guilty or no contest. Granted, he has really no other choice but like I said, he could drag this out but chose to take his punishment and move on

I was just gonna say, step one, he's owning up to it.
FastKnockout
5/29/12 3:30:02PM
I'd consider it more of avoiding jail time rather than owning up to it.
SmileR
5/29/12 3:40:19PM

Posted by FastKnockout

Me too, he pretty much had to plead guilty because he was caught and videoed doing it. He's stripped some charges and reduced the sentence but I don't see this him owning up to his mistakes, more damage control.

Jones made a dick move and I think he shouldn't be praised no matter what he does. He drove drunk, which is one of the most selfish things someone can do. He's lucky he only hit a pole, the guy made an asshole move and should be made to feel like a tool.
gartface
5/29/12 3:47:11PM

Posted by SmileR

Posted by FastKnockout

Me too, he pretty much had to plead guilty because he was caught and videoed doing it. He's stripped some charges and reduced the sentence but I don't see this him owning up to his mistakes, more damage control.

Jones made a dick move and I think he shouldn't be praised no matter what he does. He drove drunk, which is one of the most selfish things someone can do. He's lucky he only hit a pole, the guy made an asshole move and should be made to feel like a tool.

This this this and this. People shouldn't be respected and praised for "owning up to" drunk driving. That's what you're supposed to do. Like SmileR said, it's one of the most selfish things anyone could do.

The guy loses even more respect from me. I don't care if "he owns up to it" or not.
Wallass
5/29/12 4:12:20PM
Good on Jones for being a man and admitting to his faults.
MMAcca
5/29/12 4:15:07PM
Jones isn't admitting to anything here.

He's doing exactly what his lawyer/attorney tells him, to make this all go away
crushedbacon
5/29/12 4:38:33PM
Well I just hope Jon knows, Rashad and everybody else are praying for him.... Pfff. LMAO.
Bubbles
5/29/12 5:15:22PM

Posted by SmileR

KungFuMaster
5/29/12 5:44:47PM
I wished Jones had pleaded innocent.
Pookie
5/29/12 7:25:37PM
Notice how its a DWI and not a DUI. That's what money does.
Bubbles
5/29/12 8:18:25PM

Posted by Pookie

what's the difference?
Pookie
5/29/12 9:08:48PM

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by Pookie

what's the difference?

Your questioned spurred me to look up the facts, and in New York DWI is a worse charge. I was mistaken.
KungFuMaster
5/29/12 11:27:23PM
I had to look it up too. Driving while intoxicated sounds worse than driving under the influence. I guess 'under the influence' means you breached the legal limits and 'while intoxicated' means you were wasted. Does that sound about right?
Adrenaline
5/30/12 3:17:10AM

Posted by KungFuMaster

I had to look it up too. Driving while intoxicated sounds worse than driving under the influence. I guess 'under the influence' means you breached the legal limits and 'while intoxicated' means you were wasted. Does that sound about right?

Negative ghost rider, aside from maybe a few select jurisdictions, the term DUI and DWI are interchangeable and mean the exact same thing. Neither term implies a higher level of intoxication. Again, there may be some places (maybe New York) that might differentiate from this but it would be the exception, not the rule. In my area and the states surrounding me there is no difference, some places just choose to use one acronym instead of the other. However, in some areas a DWI is used when a person is under the influence of alcohol while DUI is used for someone under the influence of drugs and or alcohol. The term DUI is used far more commonly where I'm at regardless of what the person is under the influence of.

In terms of intoxication most states follow the same model, and simple DUI (DWI) is a BAC of .08 or above. A DUI that is abnormally high is a called an "excessive DUI" and is usually a BAC of .20 or higher.

Again maybe different in some places but generally not in my experience.
cowcatcher
5/30/12 3:27:47AM
I'm not proud to say I got one about 13 years ago and it was called an OWI here in Wisconsin. They're all the same, just different acronyms from area to area like adrenaline said.
Adrenaline
5/30/12 4:29:43AM

Posted by cowcatcher

I'm not proud to say I got one about 13 years ago and it was called an OWI here in Wisconsin. They're all the same, just different acronyms from area to area like adrenaline said.

You live and learn brother, your a solid guy in my book

It really does get confusing with all of the acronyms, a few years ago I was out on the lake with some friends fishing, as normal people do when they fish we were enjoying a few cold beers, this was a paddle boat mind you and we were all far from being drunk(barely opened the first ones). Anyway a deputy on boat patrol pulled up next to us and wasn't to happy with me, he asked me if I wanted him to give me a "BWI" for drinking in the boat. I knew what he meant but I couldn't resist asking in a flattered voice "Really officer, you want to give me a BWI right here in front of everyone?" Not very funny in retrospect but he made this face Then he informed me that no, it was not a sexual favor, rather "boating while intoxicated" Some places it means "Bicycling while intoxicated". The deputy was a good guy and was just looking out for us because alot of people do get too drunk and fall overboard and it doesn't end well. <-------That story is neither here nor there, just pointing out that there are alot of acronyms to describe basically the same concept.

KungFuMaster
5/30/12 1:36:02PM
Since you guys are owning up to your mistakes, I guess I'll own up to mine.

It's probably difficult to believe a saint like me has done anything remotely bad but believe it or not - I have.

I stole a pack of bubble gum and a pair of sunglasses when I was 18. That was the most humiliating and yet also the most life changing thing that has happened to me. It made me realized who I am and who I wanted to be. I have realized through that incident and through the teachings of my father - that to be good - requires a lifetime of determination and practice while to be bad - requires but a split second.
cowcatcher
5/30/12 1:58:33PM

Posted by KungFuMaster

It's probably difficult to believe a saint like me has done anything remotely bad but believe it or not - I have.

I stole a pack of bubble gum and a pair of sunglasses when I was 18. That was the most humiliating and yet also the most life changing thing that has happened to me. It made me realized who I am and who I wanted to be. I have realized through that incident and through the teachings of my father - that to be good - requires a lifetime of determination and practice while to be bad - requires but a split second.

Meh, I wasn't owning up, just stating that I know it's different here than in, say, NY. I was a 23 year old kid, and young people do stupid shit. Hell, I still do stupid shit(although driving after drinking is no longer one of them). A person isn't defined by their mistakes, and everyone makes them. Glass houses, cast the first stone, whatever, I just know that I'm not the one that needs to be passing judgement.

BTW, if that's the extent of your arrest record, you've kept your nose cleaner than most.
KungFuMaster
5/30/12 2:12:49PM

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by KungFuMaster

Meh, I wasn't owning up, just stating that I know it's different here than in, say, NY. I was a 23 year old kid, and young people do stupid shit. Hell, I still do stupid shit(although driving after drinking is no longer one of them). A person isn't defined by their mistakes, and everyone makes them. Glass houses, cast the first stone, whatever, I just know that I'm not the one that needs to be passing judgement.

BTW, if that's the extent of your arrest record, you've kept your nose cleaner than most.

It's obvious I'm no saint but then again - I do have a lot of evil thoughts.

You are alright in my books, CC, even though you are a pain in the ass.
cowcatcher
5/30/12 2:20:18PM
Not trying to be a pain in the ass, just have a good BS detector.
KungFuMaster
5/30/12 2:41:15PM

Posted by cowcatcher

Bachelor of Science detector??? It's no wonder you're always wrong about me. I have a Bachelor of Arts.
Bubbles
5/30/12 5:22:22PM

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by cowcatcher

Bachelor of Science detector??? It's no wonder you're always wrong about me. I have a Bachelor of Arts.

BSc is Bachelor of Science
Bubbles
5/30/12 5:24:02PM

Posted by Adrenaline

In terms of intoxication most states follow the same model, and simple DUI (DWI) is a BAC of .08 or above. A DUI that is abnormally high is a called an "excessive DUI" and is usually a BAC of .20 or higher.

in Ontario it used to be .08, but a few years ago they dropped it to .05 and anyone 21 and under (regardless of license level) has zero tolerance